iMac 27" SSD Upgrade and Best SSD Suggestion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GreentAzn, Dec 7, 2011.

1. GreentAzn, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

GreentAzn macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone.

I just got a brand new iMac 27" last week with the follow specs:
    Model name iMac12,2

-3.4 GHz i7
    -12GB Ram (Upgraded to 12GB 1333MHz DDR3 myself)
    -AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB
    -1TB Hardrive

I definitely want to install an SSD for the OS, heavy applications purposes and keep the easy files (music, docs.. etc) running on the 1TB HDD.

I've read numerous of post on MacRumors and the web about SSD upgrades and suggestions. But still can't make up my mind. So please help me.

My Questions:
    1. What SSD would you suggest? (I've heard OCZ makes wonderful SSDs, especially with the new Octane coming out or the new Triple-cell ssds.)

2. I want speed. I want my OS to launch at lightning speed and fast processing. Your recommendations besides installing an SSD or upgrading RAM.

3. Best SSD installing instructions (What parts, cables do I need.. where do I get them?)

4. If I decide to install Windows 7 OS on my iMac, what are your suggestions to that in terms of hardware? (Larger SSD capacity..etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help!:apple:

2. Akack macrumors 6502a

3. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

Does installing a SSD void the warranty / applecare?

4. GreentAzn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding! Thanks for the useful link!

----------

There have been a lot of chatter about this, supposedly it does.. but people have been saying as long as if you switch things back and leave no trace of it you warranty should still apply.

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

6. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Even though I'm attempting an SSD install on my Mini myself, I would get the Apple SSD for the iMac personally.

7. GreentAzn thread starter macrumors newbie

But the thing with Apple SSD is that its so expensive.. They charge the part and service fee at extreme price -.-

8. GreentAzn thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone!

Can I please get more response to this?

9. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

You just posted today, so be patient and I guarantee more people will respond such as myself.

1. First choice: Samsung 830 128 GB | Second Choice: Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB

2. You already have a top of the line CPU, [Mobile] GPU and upgraded RAM all running on a rock solid OS. The only other thing to actually increase speed from the tremendous amount you already have would be to add an SSD. No OS tweaking or CPU over-clocking is needed with your iMac.

3. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=989287

4. It all depends on what programs you will be installing on there. Keep in ming that Windows 7 64 take around 16GB of space for the OS alone. More room is always better to have, but it also comes at a very high price tag. Come to a conclusion of what you will be installing and what you're budget is and make a decision based upon that.

10. GreentAzn thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Alksion!

Thanks for your suggestion. One more question for you tho, what is the ideal SSD capacity If I'm only going to install the O.S in, (assuming Windows 7 as well). I see you posted 128GB for both of the SSD you recommend, will this be enough?

11. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Totally depends on your use. Subtract your Home folder from your current install. How much is it? Will it grow with more apps and support files? I go with 240/256GB's as I want more room to grow and getting in and out of the iMac is a pain so if you can swing it get 200GB+. The 400GB+ are too much if you are HDDing your home folder and data.
    I'd either partition and install Win on the HDD and suffer the slowness or get the external thunderbolt SSD case and use that. It would be pretty messy to have a boot camp partitioned SSD internal that has Mac and Win boot volumes and a partitioned HDD that holds the data for both OS's. You may need some HDD interpolation for NTFS/ HFS+ on the HDD. Maybe you can just use the boot camp partitioner and then just copy data. Keep it simple/ keep them separate.

12. GreentAzn thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Derbothaus

I Appreciate you reply, however.. i'm not too familiar with these technical terminologies. NTFS..HFS+... etc. If you could break down the proper way of managing both O.S, that would be extremely helpful. This is what I know, to have a fast boot.. you want to have it installed on your SSD. If I want my OS (Mac, Window) to boot up and run at fast speed, I would want to install it on my SSD. For file keepings, I store them on my 1TB HDD. I am thinking about using bootcamp for Windows OS, will VMWare or Parallel help speed up the Windows OS?

13. derbothaus, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

What are you needing Windows for? Work, games? VMware and parallels are slower than boot camp native setup. Breaking it all down depends on how you want it. You can do it a few different ways. What OS percentage do you plan on using. 80% Mac , 20% Win? This is important as well.

14. GreentAzn thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right on, I'm only using Windows for gaming purpose (BF3, L4D2), and I do all my work on Mac O.S. So yes, 80% Mac 20% Windows.

15. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I know you want the fastest but on an iMac it can be a hassle if you are not pretty technically inclined.
    I'd probably use a 6G SSD on the iMac's SATA3 link. Then have a 2TB HDD on the SATA2 link.
    Setup the Mac environment 1st. You may need to juggle your Home directory to an external if your data is massive.
    Mac OS and Apps on the SSD - Home directory on the 2TB HDD. Bless the home directory with these instructions:

http://macs.about.com/od/diyguidesprojects/qt/Move-Your-Home-Folder-To-A-New-Location.htm

I don't really think having an SSD for Win gaming makes any sense unless you are spending for 2x480GB+ SSD's. You do want to actually have games installed, right? So you need massive space.
    So don't worry about SSD for Win. Even if you split up the data and the OS to an SSD you won't really be gaining anything on loading as you still have all the game data on the larger HDD.

After your Mac environment is up and running, run Boot Camp assistant and partition as much space as you can for Win gaming. 1TB+ at least. Then install Windows. Follow instructions.
    Your 2TB HDD will now have your Home directory from Mac OS on an HFS+ Volume and a partition of 1TB+ for your NTFS (Windows) install. Hold down option at boot for your OS choice.

16. henryonapple macrumors 6502

17. buster84 macrumors 6502

If you dont want to open up your new Imac you can use this to add more Hard Drives to your system. You can even boot from the Lacie if you program the OS for it. If you use boot camp you can install windows on the second hard drive in the Lacie and keep it all separated. You can also use parallels to install it to the hard drive if you prefer the emulation way.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Lacie/9000186/

18. KaraH macrumors 6502

Only one word needed for solid state drives: OWC.