iMac 27" SSD Upgrade - Important Tip!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NATO, Oct 23, 2009.

1. osdpshhg macrumors newbie

2. Half Normalled macrumors newbie

iMac 27” i7 (Late 2009) External eSata port mod

To add to and old yet informative thread…

I know there are many methods people have used to get more performance and connectivity out these iMacs so I thought I’d contribute and share what I ended up doing.

Since my apple care is expired I decided to go ahead and do this mod. My main use is studio / audio production so this mod was geared towards those needs. (I need a dedicated Audio Drive for recording and the FW port for dedicated audio interface without daisy chaining)

I sacrificed the optical drive to gain the Sata port as others have though I decided to locate my eSata port on the rear of the iMac instead of on the bottom or having a cable protruding from the CD slot. So far it works great and total cost was around $10. Here are a few pics of the mod.
    Cheers and many thanks for all the great info and tips shared here!

Attached Files:

3. handsonmac macrumors newbie

Hi Half Normalled,

Thanks for the pics!! I just wonder, do you get a 3Gb/s link on the optical drive internal SATA port? Also, where can I get that SATA to eSATA adapter/cable you screwed on your iMac?

Thanks!

4. peakay macrumors newbie

OWC kit vs OEM Parts??

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had used the OWC kit instead of the oem parts outlined in this thread. See the kit here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIM27SSD10/

I like that it comes with all the needed tools, instruction video, and you don't have to take the imac apart quite so much (seems like most problems are assembly errors/pinched wires), so it looks easier and less trouble-prone. However, taping the drive in seems a little rigged, but I've seen no negative reports form doing so.

Any help/feedback on this would be great. Thanks!

[​IMG]

5. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I used this cable to install my SSD into my 2011 27" iMac in the second available SATA port. I mounted the SSD behind the optical drive. I didn't use velcro or tape or anything. The optical drive keeps it in place once you put it back.

And then I used this cable to replace my original 1TB HDD with a 2TB HDD to avoid shortening out the sensor or using any type of software to regulate the fans...

6. peakay macrumors newbie

How long have you had it mounted this way and have there been any problems?

7. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I've had it this way going on 3 years. No problems at all. The SSD doesn't heat up or anything. It's my main drive. The 2TB is my "storage" and bootcamp drive.

8. Lucagfc macrumors 6502

Hi

I need to replace the internal HDD with an SSD in my late 2009 iMac. What I need to know is what do you use to place the 2,5" SSD in place of the 3,5" HDD? what do you use to fix this in place? I need to use an enclosure? there' s an enclosure that also has a thermal sensor to bypass the fan problem? thanks!

9. highberry macrumors newbie

i just upgraded to a SSD in my iMac today. i used this stuff...

Crucial 500gb SSD
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RQA6M5Y/

NewerTech 3.5 to 2.5 bracket.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PZDVF6/

OWC In-line Thermal Sensor
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD09/

and this tool kit
    http://www.amazon.com/Newer-Tech-NWTTOOLKIT14-NewerTech-14-Piece/dp/B00FPUGN2O/

10. ruk110 macrumors regular

ruk110

I just read your post as I've ordered a Samsung 1TB SSD for my iMac 27 2011. I have also ordered a WD Icepack for the drive size conversion. But I don't know if I should be needing a different cable of some sort for the thermal issue? Because you've posted a link to a cable that is meant for hard drives and not SSD's.

Please help if you can x

11. aking83 macrumors member

aking83

Hey All,

I've been using SSD's for awhile and they ar egret, and I just put my MacBook Pro on eBay due to the new release coming at WWDC.

I just purchased this Late 2015 IMac 5k 27":
    3.2 GHZ Intel i5
    7200 RPM 1TB DriveAmd M380
    8GB Ram

Model - A1419 - MK462LL/A

I plan on upgrading the ram, adding 2 X 16 GB Sticks to bring it up to 40 GB Ram.

I'm thinking to either replace the drive with a 1-2 TB SSD or I was wondering if I could add a 1 TB SSD and still use the 1 TB Hard drive to have a total of 2 TB of space using the fusions drive?

I haven't ordered any of the upgrades yet. Appreciate the feedback.

Anthony

12. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

It'll work with the SSD's as well. I have a 1TB and a 2TB inside my 2011 27" iMac... The fans do not go crazy..

13. ruk110 macrumors regular

ruk110

Ah right brilliant stuff thank you

14. dn8lane macrumors newbie

dn8lane

"I'm not quite sure how Apple gets a hard drive temperature from the jumper block of the hard drive but after shorting the two terminals of this connector with a little piece of wire the fans behave normally."
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello NATO
    Can you explain "shorting the wire" more. IE describe that process in a bit more detail please?

Thank you.

15. gabripoilu macrumors newbie

gabripoilu

Hi!
    I've ordered the same things and will swap the drives next week. The last question I am wondering is: can I put the new SSD just in the slot and then start a reboot with cmd+R or I need to do some software hack earlier? (I've done a time machine back-up just in case but I would start with a clean install)
    Thankss

16. kschendel macrumors 6502a

A new SSD won't have anything on it, so if you just put it in, the machine won't boot at all.

If you have an installer DVD, you can boot from that, but it will not be up to date and you'll have to run one or more OS upgrades afterwards.

A possibly better way, get a cheap USB enclosure or even a bare USB-to-SATA controller cable for the SSD. Plug that into the computer before doing the upgrade, and use something like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cleaner to duplicate your existing HDD onto the new SSD. Then you'll have something bootable, you can open up the machine and swap the HDD and SSD. (one advantage of a bare cable rather than a 2.5 inch enclosure: if something goes wrong, you can hook up the old HDD with the translator cable and boot from that to fix the problem.)

Alternatively I suppose you could download an OSX installer onto a USB stick before doing the swap, make the USB stick bootable, then boot from the USB stick and run a clean install from there. I'm unsure of the exact steps to make this work but google is your friend.

Either way you need to have some sort of preparation, because you can't boot from a brand new SSD with nothing on it.

17. gabripoilu macrumors newbie

gabripoilu

Thanks kschendel
    If haven't the installer DVD. So I bought a cheap USB-to-SATA controller cable to format the brand new SSD in APFS or MacOS Journaled + GUID (I've read that high sierra will format the SSD anyway in AP File System) and created a OSX installer USB stick. If something goes wrong, as you said, I can always boot from the old hdd with the SATA-USB cable. Do I need in any case the caron copied HDD?
    I am almost ready :D

18. kschendel macrumors 6502a

If you have the bootable USB stick (verify that it works...) and if you're going to do a clean install onto the SSD, you don't need to copy anything onto it before installing it.

19. gabripoilu macrumors newbie

gabripoilu

Thanks kschendel
    I've verified the USB installer (I've created with terminal). So as soon as the SSD arrives I will use disk utility to format it in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and, under Options, give it a GUID Partition Table. Then I swap the disks and let you know if it works