Imac 3.06 or 2.4ghz Macbook + ACD??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by amacperson, Nov 4, 2008.

1. amacperson macrumors newbie

well, im in a very "tragic" dillema, i either get the 3.06ghz iMac, 1tb hdd, 4gb ram and risk missing the new updates on january, or either get the new
    macbook 2.4ghz (+maybe the new led Display) and get less power but more portablility and not having to update in the future?

(+ Im going into web design so please feel free to express your opinion in this thread, thanks) With the money from web design i will 65% chance i would buy the other machine when i have the money, BTW im 13. :D:apple:

Ok Thanks,
    Amacperson

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Which size iMac are you looking at? How do you have that much money at 13?!?! id do Macbook and ACD if u were you :D

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Web design, well, you are in a dilemma as I see it. First of all answer us these questions:

1. Where do you work most?
    2. What current Mac or PC do you have (please include specs)?
    3. What is your price range?
    4. Do you move a lot?
    5. Are your web designs graphic intensive?

I think after those questions are answered I may give you an idea which path to choose.

4. King t. macrumors regular

get the MB 2.4 and a ACD, the MB is now powerful enough to handle the tasks that you are planning to do :rolleyes:

5. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

The 24" iMac has a far superior display to the MB 2.4Ghz .. I cannot stress this point any more seriously.

24" iMac + 24" Apple LED Display = Awesome!

6. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

will need to wait for the iMac revision in 09 tho

7. amacperson thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok,1. i am planning to buy a 24" imac 3.06ghz intel core 2 duo... etc,
    2. i am saving up £700 and my parents are paying rest for xmas and birthday.
    3. Thanks for your opinion, i may get ACD and macbook if they review IMAC's at Macworld Jan '09

8. amacperson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Well im starting web design at xmas, im getting Adobe Dreamweaver CS4, (if its Bad please reply)

Ok, A:
    1: I work on the computer in the house.
    2. I currently own a 15.4" Powerbook g4, 1.5ghz PowerPC, and i decide i should move up in the technology chain.
    3.Well, my price range is around £900-1600? - ALSO, My dad pays £949 (for xmas and birthday) and i pay ANYTHING on top of that, I Currently have £416.00
    5. I cant possibly answer that one at the moment, but i guess they might be.

Thank you and hopefully you reply ;)
    Thanks,
    Amacperson :apple:

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, with what you described, you won't (or don't) move around town much. Thats +1 for the iMac

Also you currently have a PowerBook, so, if you would like the same factor you must go with the MacBook, unless you would like a more spacious screen. +1 depending on what you want.

Price wise, I see you have £1,365 secured. I looked up the prices for an 3.06GHz iMac and a 2.4GHz Al MacBook. You have enough and a little extra left after the MacBook. However, you have a little missing for the iMac. Now, if you were to buy right now because you need, I'd say iMac because with the iMac you don't need to purchase and external link as you already have an 24" screen. So thats +1 for the iMac.

Since you will need some processing power (just in case you do) both computers will do fine. The MacBook has a great FSB, DDR3 and Graphics speed that can now match the iMac. Also graphics wise, the MacBook has the equivalent graphics of a low-end MacBook Pro without the 9600 card turned on. So I'd take the MacBook graphics wise. +1 MacBook.

Tally:

MacBook = 1 or 2 out of 5
    iMac = 2 or 3 out of 5.

So I'd say go with the iMac, unless you need mobility and don't mind the extra charge for the extra Display.

10. Matek macrumors 6502a

I also think the MacBook is more than enough for what you're planning to do.

You need to know that the new Apple Cinema Display is a pretty expensive display. You can get a very good equal 24" LCD for 350-450 GBP, so I suggest cutting your costs there, because you practically don't lose anything.

That's not a very good idea IMHO. Most of the professional webdesign is done by manually writing HTML/CSS/Javascript etc. WYSIWYG software isn't used so much, but if you really want to do it that way, Dreamweaver probably is the best choice, yeah.

11. iKennett macrumors 6502

I'm not an expert however I agree with Matek, you need to master HTML/CSS/Javascript/etc if you want to get anywhere.

Good luck, it's a tough world out there for any independent web design company. Don't forget, Don't hand over anything until you have the cash!

I would personally go for the MacBook + 3rd Party Display or the new ACD is you really wanna.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That's something I forgot to mention.

All purchases are cash only and work is delivered once payment is guaranteed and/or received, no exceptions

Also, Dreamweaver is a great way to learn even more. Used dreamweaver when I was in 9th grade, much easier interface.

13. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Definitely +1 vote for the macbook + LCD that is an awesome setup and the best of both worlds. The performance difference for web design will really be negligible and you could always get an external hdd if you need the space which I doubt you will for awhile if you get a 320gb hdd. Plus, the web design culture is to work in coffee shops :) so wnjoy the portability.

14. amacperson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I like your advise and would hopefully excell on from here, Wish the best of luck to you

Thanks.
    Amacperson :apple:

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I forgot to mention, which ever machine you choose, you will love it. Well, I take it from that PowerBook you already own, you know how great a Mac can already be.

I also forgot to take into account the ACD discount. I totally missed that; however, that doesn't affect my previous analysis price wise, since basically you still have to purchase that separate screen with the MacBook. However, with the extra cash you will save you can juice up your MacBook and make it quite the speed devil. As for the iMac, you'd have to wait till MWSF'09 to see if anything good pops for it.

Still, like I said, it doesn't affect my previous analysis.

Personal endorsement: MacBook
    Tallied endorsement on needs: iMac