iMac 3.2ghz vs rMBR

Discussion in 'iMac' started by trojandrew, Apr 5, 2013.

1. trojandrew macrumors newbie

I'm in the market for an editing machine and I'm in a weird conundrum. Here are the 2 machines I'm looking at in my budget:

27 iMac 3.2ghz i5 cpu, 16gb RAM, 1GB GPU, Fusion Drive

vs

Retina MBP, 2.4ghz i7, 16gb RAM, 1GB GPU, 256GB SSD

I'm going to be using Premiere and After Effects on this thing. I don't *need* to be mobile but it would be nice, I don't *need* a 27" screen but it would be nice. So with the whole desktop vs laptop a non-issue, which machine would you guys recommend? It's hard to get performance comparisons on specific upgrades. Thanks!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Stick with the iMac then. Better GPU, and much more storage (which you'll need).

Edit - After thought, I forgot to mention, current generation of Retinas are bad, use a crap GPU and are more of a beta test.

3. trojandrew thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick reply. Forgot to mention I'm not overly concerned with storage since I'll be dealing with external storage, but the GPU problem with rMBR is too bad. Sounds like I'll go with the iMac then.

How big of a downgrade would it be to go with the 2.9ghz iMac with 16gb of RAM and fusion drive?

4. Blue604 macrumors regular

I was a desktop user my whole life. 15+ years on pc. 3 years ago i took the plunge and switched to MBP 13" and never looked back.

I was excited about the RMBP and bought it last year the 16GB 500GB SSD one, but dead pixels, image retention problem made me return it. (I exchanged 4 times) I wanted to buy it again when quality control is better. The retina display is absolutely beautiful.

But lately I am having really bad neck, shoulder pain when I use my laptop. My chiropractor told me laptop not good for my posture. Forward head syndrom if you look it up. The screen is smaller, and keyboard and trackpad are together. He recommended me getting an external display and external keyboard and mouse for my laptop.

At the end, i decided to get iMac 27" and I made the order last week. (i7, 8gb ram, 3TB, 680) The price between that and the RMBP are similiar, and I think performance are similar from benchmarks. They are both "laptop components" just with different display. Retina display vs Larger display.

So i think it comes down to how you like to work/play on the computer.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Not quite, most expensive rMBP still using relatively weak GT650M, while iMac uses 675MX, or 680MX if you want to.
    Both are laptop components indeed, but it's still much much better than you may get on rMBP.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If mobility is not a major criteria, then go for the iMac.

7. richard13 macrumors 6502a

As an owner of a 27" iMac and a 15" MBP (not current generations) I can tell you this. I use my iMac as my main computer. It's got such a big beautiful screen, has more RAM, more HD space, etc. I use my MBP for computing in bed, on the couch or when traveling. If I had to choose between the two for work and didn't need to be mobile, I'd use the iMac hands-down.

8. Adam22 macrumors regular

I'm wondering about the 2.9 vs 3.2 as well . (But get the imac )