iMac 8GB vs 16GB Ram

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Slinkington, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Slinkington macrumors member

Slinkington

Hey guys,

Just in the process of getting a new iMac - the standard 21.5" model from the Apple store. I'm getting it with the normal 4GB of Ram, but will want to upgrade to at least 8GB. I was wondering though, as it's not too much more for me to go to 16GB, should I go all out for 16GB or will I hardly notice a difference from 8GB?

I usually have Final Cut Pro, Motion 5 and Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop running at the same time. Think I'll benefit from the 16GB?

Thanks for your time. :)

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Running those apps will certainly require plenty of RAM so get as much as you can afford. But I would recommend buying the iMac from Apple with 4GB and then adding the extra RAM from OWC. You'll save a ton of money.

3. Slinkington thread starter macrumors member

Slinkington

Thanks for the info - I was planning on getting the iMac for £1000 and then buying 16GB (x4 4GB) from crucial ram for £70. (Buying the 8GB from Apple costs a whopping £160!)

4. Macinfriend macrumors newbie

Yeah i just bought 8gig ram for my 2year old imac from OWC for $48.00 shipped. Had i maxed it out at the time of purchase direct from Apple it would have cost me near $1000 bucks.

OWC always lifetime backups their Ram, so you dont have to worry about bad ones, and they have a rebate program to Send in your mac ram for cash back as well.

5. iFalcon macrumors regular

6. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

I recommend checking ebuyer.com for ram - very cheap there if in the UK...

7. Slinkington thread starter macrumors member

Slinkington

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I'd recommend 12GB of RAM at least for a start. Leave the 2x2GB and then add 2x4GB. If you feel like you need to add more than pull the 2x2GB and add in another 2x4GB. 12GB makes the most sense at least to begin with (2x4GB is not a whole lot more than 2x2GB and 4x4GB means you are buying 16GB but "tossing" 4GB it came with).

9. MendotaMike macrumors member

10. xmnj, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

xmnj macrumors member

11. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

12. maclovr2theend macrumors newbie

Crucial.com?

I work with Final Cut Pro X and motion 5 and just upgraded to the fully loaded 27" imac i7 processor. I bought the 8gb (2x4gb) of ram thinking i can just upgrade to 16gb myself. I've read this thread but I'm curious about 2 things: 1. Crucial.com has been recommended to me by both the retail mac store and the mac people directly from mac sales via phone. Some people upgrade with 4x4gb but crucial recommends 2x8gb cards to upgrade. Any thoughts on this? I'm wondering if crucial is just some spin off of mac to still get our business, those of us who know we can upgrade and save a ton of money or if there's some bigger reason to use crucial? Thanks...I'm really praying this new set up solves the world's problems, it sure better for that amount of money! :eek:

13. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

buying 2 sticks of 8gb ram and adding to the 2 sticks of 2gb ram will give you 20gb ram. I have no idea what work you do or what ram you need.

If the 2 sticks of 8gb ram are low cost buy them. My theory is almost no iMac users needs 20gb of ram and pageouts will not happen (page outs slow the machine)> Also prices are low right now.

for low cost 80 pounds a stick is pretty good. here is a seller on amazon selling them at 110 pounds a stick

http://www.amazon.co.uk/memory-upgr...1C/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1324746554&sr=8-12.

From the way you write your question. buying a pair of 4gb sticks is 8gb adding to your 4gb in the machine is 12gb that would be low cost and should be enough ram for you.

this kit looks like a pair of 4gb sticks for 29 pounds

http://www.amazon.co.uk/memory-upgr...3UES/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324746554&sr=8-3

add to your machine's 4gb and you get 12gb for only 29 pounds! most likely this would work well for you.

If I had to guess more people are better off adding this rather then the more expensive option above.

14. maclovr2theend macrumors newbie

thanks philipma1957, i'll look into your suggestions...i think i'm gun shy on type and manufacturer of RAM because of some nightmare stories I've heard. Thanks again

15. ANlMAL macrumors newbie

OWC RAM and Warranty?

Hey all, great information here I really appreciate it.

I am wondering if I were to get the Imac with 4gb of RAM and update it to 8gb or 16gb of RAM from OWC would there be any repercussions in regards to the warranty on the computer or an Apple Care package?

Also, how easy it is to get into an Imac to actually perform the upgrade?

Cheers!

16. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I would not buy ram from OWC. I have had issues with faulty ram and getting to replace it and so has a friend of mine. You can also get better pricing than OWC.

17. ANlMAL macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. Is there a manufacturer you would recommend?

18. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I think you'll find this the very rare exception - most people have extremely good luck with OWC memory.

19. GibMcFragger macrumors newbie

GibMcFragger

It won't affect the warranty as long as the RAM is correct (204 pin DDR3-1333MHz notebook RAM).

As for changing it, it requires 5 mins of your time and a Phillips screwdriver. It's under the panel on the bottom (below the screen when the iMac is standing up normally). Lay it face down on the screen, flip the stand up out of the way and you will see the cover. :)

You can find all the info you need here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1423

20. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

I can tell you OWC has been awesome for me. My current 32GB from them has been flawless, and prior to that I had a 16GB (4GBx4) kit that was flawless for over two years. One 4GB stick was bad when I bought it in Dec. 2009, and they sent a whole new set of 16GB to me, and let me return the first set back in their box *after* verifying the new set was all good. This allowed me to use the good 12GB while the new set came 2nd Day Air. They paid shipping, too.

That is good service!

21. iMacca macrumors newbie

What paulrbeers said.

I did exactly that and never maxed the 12GB RAM out. Usually running VMWare with Win7 (2GB), Photoshop, Illustrator, FlexBuilder, Flash Catalyst, Firefox and Chrome both with Flashplayer all at the same time.

22. ANlMAL macrumors newbie

Thank all very much.

I am going to save some serious cash not paying the extra $600 for 16gb to Apple.

23. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Nope. I know several other people who have had issues. Plus plenty of people report issues right here on this forum.

24. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

You can find people having issues with virtually every brand of ram right here on this forum. OWC makes a good product.

25. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You mean they buy and re-sell a nice product.