Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hack3rcon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
That's a 2011. I am running Big Sur on that machine via Open Core Legacy Patcher and it works well, with a few little bugs here and there. There is a huge thread on this topic here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-11-big-sur-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2242172/

Thank you so much.
What does few little bugs mean? How about the speed and performance?
Do you agree with https://github.com/barrykn/big-sur-micropatcher?
Can I install the macOS Mojave without any trick?

ElCani

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Thank you so much.
What does few little bugs mean? How about the speed and performance?
Do you agree with https://github.com/barrykn/big-sur-micropatcher?
Can I install the macOS Mojave without any trick?
There a few graphical glitches and the known bugs/missing features described in the thread and the OCLP pages. Nothing major that I have noticed but it's not on my main machine and I have not tested extensively at all.

I don't know anything about the micro patcher you link to, sorry.

You definitely cannot install Mojave without a "trick" because it is not officially compatible with your machine. I went straight from High Sierra to Big Sur and never tried either Catalina or Mojave but as far as I was aware they didn't work properly on 2011 iMacs because graphics acceleration was non-functional. That may have changed, I don't know.

Reactions: hack3rcon

hack3rcon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
There a few graphical glitches and the known bugs/missing features described in the thread and the OCLP pages. Nothing major that I have noticed but it's not on my main machine and I have not tested extensively at all.

You definitely cannot install Mojave without a "trick" because it is not officially compatible with your machine. I went straight from High Sierra to Big Sur and never tried either Catalina or Mojave but as far as I was aware they didn't work properly on 2011 iMacs because graphics acceleration was non-functional. That may have changed, I don't know.

Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
If graphical applications like Adobe needs to run on the Mac, then In your opinion, is it logical to upgrade to the macOS Big Sur?
Why Apple limits iMac upgrade?

ElCani

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
If graphical applications like Adobe needs to run on the Mac, then In your opinion, is it logical to upgrade to the macOS Big Sur?
Why Apple limits iMac upgrade?

Sorry, but I have no idea how Adobe Creative Cloud apps run on patched Big Sur. Photoshop and Lightroom work well on my 2011 27” but that has an upgraded GPU. If you are still using Adobe CS6 apps, they will not run at all on Big Sur.

I guess Apple limits OS upgrades for a variety of different reasons, such as performance, feature availability and planned obsolescence.

Reactions: hack3rcon

hack3rcon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Sorry, but I have no idea how Adobe Creative Cloud apps run on patched Big Sur. Photoshop and Lightroom work well on my 2011 27” but that has an upgraded GPU. If you are still using Adobe CS6 apps, they will not run at all on Big Sur.

I guess Apple limits OS upgrades for a variety of different reasons, such as performance, feature availability and planned obsolescence.

An upgraded GPU? Did you change your VGA?
I guess not it is because of performance or feature availability. When I upgrade my iMac hardware like Memory or CPU then why not new a OS!

ElCani

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
An upgraded GPU? Did you change your VGA?
I guess not it is because of performance or feature availability. When I upgrade my iMac hardware like Memory or CPU then why not new a OS!

cognus

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Texas

ElCani - out of curiosity, did you progress on to Monterey? asking because on an old MBA limited to 4gb I found Monterey to be an improvement in that the firmware was better than under Catalina, fixing a couple of bugs that caused the system to be nigh-unusable. Now I'm curious about a A1311 I inherited - planning on doing a SSD & Memory upg

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
An iMac A1311 is a 21.5-inch, older than 2012. Can be a 2009, 2010, or 2011 model. It makes a big difference for the capability to boot to internet recovery. 2009 cannot, 2010 maybe, and a 2011 should work for internet recovery.
Much more reliable, I think, would be booting to an external USB OS X installer. With that, you don't have to decide if your particular model will boot to internet recovery -- just insert the bootable USB, restart holding Option key to get the boot picker screen.
Any A1311 can upgrade to 16GB RAM, with the exception of the Mid-2011, which can go to 32GB.
If you replace the hard drive, you will need a temp sensor replacement -- so the hard drive fan speed will be controlled.

Reactions: cognus

cognus

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Texas
An iMac A1311 is a 21.5-inch, older than 2012. Can be a 2009, 2010, or 2011 model. It makes a big difference for the capability to boot to internet recovery. 2009 cannot, 2010 maybe, and a 2011 should work for internet recovery.
Much more reliable, I think, would be booting to an external USB OS X installer. With that, you don't have to decide if your particular model will boot to internet recovery -- just insert the bootable USB, restart holding Option key to get the boot picker screen.
Any A1311 can upgrade to 16GB RAM, with the exception of the Mid-2011, which can go to 32GB.
If you replace the hard drive, you will need a temp sensor replacement -- so the hard drive fan speed will be controlled.
thank you much for responding DeltaMac. This system is iMac 11 2, A1311, EMC2389
just now I did get startup of a normal looking internet recovery mode, by holding Option+D for about 2 min.
this one. I do want to build a bootable USB device that will install a clean/new copy of high sierra, preferably formatted APFS but so far I haven't been certain enough of what I'm reading on the web about building it correctly so I will keep looking. HOWEVER, I have not yet succeeded in booting to anything other than the old hard drive, or just today, internet recovery. I keep trying different suggestions of key combos to either get the Disk Choices menu [preferable] or recovery local. any/alll help greatly appreciated. Using the apple keyboard, wired, it seems any other key press/hold at bootup just produces an unresolved blank screen that can sit there a very long time without resolving

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have a couple of different iMacs from that time period. I often get intermittent results when using various boot key shortcuts. Usually, that is helped by doing an NVRAM reset during first boot.
Of course, the Option boot picker window is always the Option key (no other key pressed) (I guess that is what you mean by "Disk Choices menu" You have to use a drive that you know has a system installed that will actually boot your iMac. Some older Macs will bring up that menu, and will NOT show any bootable device that is not compatible with your older iMac. Your 2010 iMac should show any system from Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.3) to High Sierra (macOS 10.13.6)
That bootable system needs to be correctly installed (or external drive actually plugged in to your USB port.)
I still think you will have an easier time of this with a bootable USB Mac system installer.
Your boot with Option+D should be booting to hardware diagnostics, and should not work unless you have an internet connection. And, I have found that it is very common for that to fail with an error (I think that Apple does not support Diagnostics for Macs that are considered obsolete, typically those more than 6 or 7 years old -- so yours is considerably older than that.
If you try to boot to internet recovery, try the default choice for that, which is Option+Command+R
You should get the spinning globe. Best choice will be wired ethernet (test without using wifi)
That boot to internet recovery can be very slow. 5 minutes is pretty fast. I have seen a few that eventually boot after nearly 20 minutes. Again, you should see a spinning globe. The default Apple icon might appear for a few seconds, but internet recovery boot should always show the spinning globe at some point - might take a minute to see that, but you should see it. Don't use any other keys, only Option+Command+R
If you only see a blank screen, and it has been longer than 5 minutes, press and hold the power button to shut your iMac OFF, then try again. Press and release the power button, then immediately press and hold Opt+Cmd+R. Do not release the keys until you see the spinning globe. Good luck!
If the boot fails, you may get an Apple support.com error of some kind, which USUALLY means that there is something wrong with the internet connection. I will often try a simple restart of my router, if I get an Apple Support error, then try the same Internet Recovery again.

Finally, if you DO get to Internet Recovery menu screen, go to Disk Utility, and try to erase your drive that you have installed in your iMac. Erase the drive, choosing to format as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". I suggest that you don't mess with APFS format. With the problems that you have, you may need to install an older version of the system first, and you may find that the Disk Utility in an older system will NOT see a drive that is formatted APFS. So, go with the older format for now. When you get ready to install High Sierra, the installer will change that older format to APFS automatically. I have done dozens of reformats, and High Sierra (or newer) never have a problem with the format change. That might even help you out as you try to get your old iMac fixed up, and upgraded.

Reactions: cognus

cognus

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Texas
I have a couple of different iMacs from that time period. I often get intermittent results when using various boot key shortcuts. Usually, that is helped by doing an NVRAM reset during first boot.
Of course, the Option boot picker window is always the Option key (no other key pressed) (I guess that is what you mean by "Disk Choices menu" You have to use a drive that you know has a system installed that will actually boot your iMac. Some older Macs will bring up that menu, and will NOT show any bootable device that is not compatible with your older iMac. Your 2010 iMac should show any system from Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.3) to High Sierra (macOS 10.13.6)
That bootable system needs to be correctly installed (or external drive actually plugged in to your USB port.)
I still think you will have an easier time of this with a bootable USB Mac system installer.
Your boot with Option+D should be booting to hardware diagnostics, and should not work unless you have an internet connection. And, I have found that it is very common for that to fail with an error (I think that Apple does not support Diagnostics for Macs that are considered obsolete, typically those more than 6 or 7 years old -- so yours is considerably older than that.
If you try to boot to internet recovery, try the default choice for that, which is Option+Command+R
You should get the spinning globe. Best choice will be wired ethernet (test without using wifi)
That boot to internet recovery can be very slow. 5 minutes is pretty fast. I have seen a few that eventually boot after nearly 20 minutes. Again, you should see a spinning globe. The default Apple icon might appear for a few seconds, but internet recovery boot should always show the spinning globe at some point - might take a minute to see that, but you should see it. Don't use any other keys, only Option+Command+R
If you only see a blank screen, and it has been longer than 5 minutes, press and hold the power button to shut your iMac OFF, then try again. Press and release the power button, then immediately press and hold Opt+Cmd+R. Do not release the keys until you see the spinning globe. Good luck!
If the boot fails, you may get an Apple support.com error of some kind, which USUALLY means that there is something wrong with the internet connection. I will often try a simple restart of my router, if I get an Apple Support error, then try the same Internet Recovery again.

Finally, if you DO get to Internet Recovery menu screen, go to Disk Utility, and try to erase your drive that you have installed in your iMac. Erase the drive, choosing to format as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". I suggest that you don't mess with APFS format. With the problems that you have, you may need to install an older version of the system first, and you may find that the Disk Utility in an older system will NOT see a drive that is formatted APFS. So, go with the older format for now. When you get ready to install High Sierra, the installer will change that older format to APFS automatically. I have done dozens of reformats, and High Sierra (or newer) never have a problem with the format change. That might even help you out as you try to get your old iMac fixed up, and upgraded.
This is a tremendous help - thank you. So good to dialogue with someone who actually has hands on [or had] the system in question. So to rapidly come up to present: I have, or had, now installed the new SSD and chose to go 3rd party with the Opencore legacy patcher and Monterey. I made the USB installer and finally got the system to give me boot options just by being patient and using a wired apple keyboard. took several long tries, taking 5 to 10 minutes per with literally nothing on the screen but gray backlight, and during which time i released the option key press and just waited. Got Monterey installed and it worked fine as long as I was active. Like prior intel-based macs of that period through about 2015, compared to windows implementations of the same reference specs [or close thereto] the firmware just isn't well done and I will gladly overwrite if I can just find the support.apple page with the Firmware Restoration CD for this particular iMac 11,2. If you know that page I would appreciate the help.

Like the MBA that I worked on [my own, now sold], there were constant issues of painfully slow, long hold time bootup UNTIL Monterey, which in the case of that base-spec MBA blessedly carried a firmware upgrade that had not been released in the prior Big Sur and Catalina projects. Cured the bootup delayed and some, not all of the sleep-stage problems that everyone seemed to struggle with courtesy of Intel's power management innovations.
So now, the iMac also got very confused after sleeping overnight. Did not wake smoothly. Artifacting on display, then hung I/O. No choice [after waiting 10 minutes] but to power off, after which boot-loops [I can blame 3rd party or something].

This iMac has a Radeon 4xxx series and visually it has looked OK. Let me ask; are there any non-visual symptoms of a card failing? And did you personally deal with this in the systems you have/had? What was your final/best solution?

thank you so much

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
"non-visual symptoms?" You kind-of have to go with what you see, or the experience that you might have, such as plainly long boot times, lots of spinning-wheel cursors, etc.
--sometimes-- you might have really strange symptoms (such as video delays, odd visuals during boot, etc)
One thing to try: Replace the backup (or PRAM) battery. If it is more than 10 years old, battery could be below best voltage range, and could contribute to problems that you might have.

cognus

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Texas
are you still running the original GPU's on the ones from this era c. +/- 2010? if no, which did you pick?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.