iMac alternative from Samsung - How about it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rvinther, Aug 28, 2012.

1. rvinther, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

rvinther macrumors member

rvinther

I saw this article from Engadget here.

Could it be a good alternative to the future iMac (if it ever comes)? Is it a peak of what is to come from apple.

Let me hear Your opinion...

Please lt not this be a discussion of when/or if the new iMac arrives.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Oh boy....If Samsung do build that can you imagine the lawyers rubbing hands together in Glee? Yet another lawsuit would ensue for sure. I just wish ALL companies would allow innovation without litigation...And Yes I mean Apple too!

3. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Yeah I think Apple would love if people buy this. They would probably sue samsung for stealing their imac customers. ;)

4. rvinther thread starter macrumors member

rvinther

Lets not go into that discussion - it must belong to another thread somewhere:)

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, one that will no doubt appear on the front page if battle is joined...:D

6. rvinther thread starter macrumors member

rvinther

In my opinion it looks a bit slimmer than the 2011 iMac and the keyboard doesnt look bad either.

It isnt an apple design but not bad:)

7. simsaladimbamba

The ports are also quite misplaced and make it look more cluttered. Other than that, it is nice, but I still prefer this AIO, even if the ports are still not as nicely done as on an iMac.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I see no problem in other companies designing all in ones....I'm not well up on Windows stuff, but aren't there all in ones in that market too? Apple certainly don't have a claim on the all in one concept.

9. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

How fast 7850 is compared to 680m/7970m?
    Do you think we have any chances to hackintosh?

10. foidulus macrumors 6502a

This is nothing new, similar all-in-ones have been quite popular in Japan for years now, and have even made occasional forays abroad(Sony still sells one in the US IIRC). Nothing special here other than perhaps Samsung purposely trying to goad Apple into suing them again.

11. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Not sure if I like the stand.

But I wonder with Apple and Microsoft being so cozy right now could the next model have gesture controls as well, or maybe the rumored Apple TV?

12. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

the HP has decent specs. though non of these looks as nice as the iMac and also they are windows crap so pretty much makes it a non-debate for me. I work with windows at the office, because I use 3ds Max. But if it wasnt for that I would throw out windows forever.

There's no discussion what is the better operating system IMO....windows is a slow hog of crap. Every computer I've had with windows just gets slower and slower over time until it reach a point of a required re-install. and it all looks ugly too with a complete mix of style and gui ages. It's just crap. I can accept having BootCamp at home but 100% windows, no way. I want to sit in windows as little as possible...and I have 20 years of working history in Windows and about 4 years in OSX, that says something.

sorry, I know this was a bit off topic - just couldn't help it :)

13. HurryKayne, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

You're right about windows usability compared with Osx,no battle at all,but..
    Imac 2012 are not available...thats why my questions about 7850 power and the chance to hackintosh.
    At least some were tryng with past machines as you may know:

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index...machine-vmware-inside-windows-7-or-windows-8/
    http://www.google.it/search?q=samsu...c.r_pw.r_cp.&cad=b&sei=sqw8UOSGC-iQ4gT934CwBQ
    http://www.osx86.net/10-8-mountain-lion/17885-samsung-series-7-chronos.html
    http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273379
    http://9to5mac.com/2011/11/21/developer-hacks-his-samsung-series-7-to-run-os-x-lion/

I know many of those are for slates but i mean,if it's been done in the past..someone will make it happen soon again.
    If Imac were here i'd never consider this option,then i notice this all in one will be here on late October..i hope Apple won't left its market to Windows8 machines..,i hope next October,or soon to have my Imac 2012 on my desk,but its all up to Apple,probably with November and no new Imacs i could buy a non retina 15"MacBookPro 2012.

14. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Looks not too bad; with touch screen, why not. Specs ok for Windows box I would say. Only one problem: no OS X. :rolleyes:
    So I will pass. But if I would be in Windows I would give it a closer look. If my company would replace my Win7 desktop with that I would not cry.

15. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure about the design of the legs and the keyboard looks a little small. I like the idea of being able to move the keyboard under the machine when it's not being used. But, I can do that with my iMac and full size keyboard. And not sure what I would do with a touchscreen AIO and it's Windows, have to use Windows for work, that's enough.

16. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Yeah I haven't really considered my options yet. Apple usually gives a note when there's nothing more coming out in the end of a year. If that happens this year and the iMac hasn't been updated, I'll have to start thinking of options for myself. It's really something I try not to think about at the moment, it would be really be a ****** situation.

Why is swearing not accepted here ? Steve Jobs did that all the time :)

17. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

Well it wouldn't be as good as the current iMac because Samsung have no redesigned iMac to copy off :p

18. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I just see the external power supply ... thats not a knock off (if, then a real bad one) ... Apple don't do that anymore ...

19. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Yeah I guess Apple is laughing the a** off from the design of this AIO computer.

20. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

Thats pretty poor design. It does not look half as good as an iMac.

21. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

Galaxy S3 looks different because there was no redesign on the 4S to copy off lol. It is very amusing to see Samsung's own designing. You can tell it is a skill they have not practised often :p

----------

Give them time, they are still learning this whole new 'Designing' phase :p

22. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The 7850m in this is actually about 15% lower than the 6970m. Which makes it 95-115% lower than the 680M.

The problem with all these Windows AIOs is that they have very underwhelming specs (or they are professional workstations and costed like it).

23. Swordylove macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Aside from no OS X, another thing that bothers me about these non-iMac AIOs are the separate USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.