iMac and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Snapple123, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Snapple123 macrumors newbie

My PC is dying, it's five years old, and very slow. The hard drive is starting to squeak. I am considering buying a new iMac and using bootcamp to run Windows XP on half of the hard drive. I know some of these questions have been answered, but could use some reassurance since this is a sizable CHUNK of money for me:

• Will XP run very fast like it does on a native PC system?
    • Will I will be able to print from the Mac and Windows side on the same printer?
    • Can someone verify the OS number, of Leopard, is it 10.6?
    • Very important to me, Will I will be able to use a document feeder on my printer to scan documents into Adobe Acrobat, version 6 -- and still e-mail them from the PC side?
    • Can i bring documents back and forth between both sides -- Mac and PC?
    • This is a big plunge for me, and I wonder if I should just get a PC, which would be considerably cheaper, but there is a part of me that misses the Mac world....
    • My hesitancy comes from owning a Mac with a PC card years ago which was a total bust from APPLE !!

Again, excuse me if these questions have been addressed, -- but I haven't been able to find answers to many of them, and am a bit wary of the salespeople at the Apple store. Talk to the users, I always say. And please, if there is something I should be thinking about, or reading, please let me know!

Thanks in advance. :eek:

2. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

Leapord is 10.6.4
    windows runs as if it was not a mac but actually a windows computer

3. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

It is having 2 computers in one so you have to add the programs to both sides and connect the printer on both windows and os x

4. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Anything you can do on Windows XP now you can still do on the iMac running Windows XP.

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

[*]Will XP run very fast like it does on a native PC system?

Yes if apple provides a desktop hard drive, desktop video card, and 4 GB ram. Apple usually uses laptop parts in the imacs, so don't expect good gaming performance or super fast file transfer. Make sure you install to an NTFS partition.

[*]Will I will be able to print from the Mac and Windows side on the same printer?

Probably, if the printer supports XP and mac. You might have to use a generic driver and lose settings like high quality color or double sided printing. If you old pc was running XP, the imac will run the printer in the same way on the windows side.

[*]Can someone verify the OS number, of Leopard, is it 10.6?

Yes, it's 10.6 but is snow leopard, a small update to leopard.

[*]Very important to me, Will I will be able to use a document feeder on my printer to scan documents into Adobe Acrobat, version 6 -- and still e-mail them from the PC side?

Again, it should function like your old pc if it ran XP.

[*]Can i bring documents back and forth between both sides -- Mac and PC?

Yes, you'll need a 3rd FAT32 partition or an external hard drive. To open the documents, you will need to install software on both xp and mac.

[*]This is a big plunge for me, and I wonder if I should just get a PC, which would be considerably cheaper, but there is a part of me that misses the Mac world....

PC will likely be cheaper and run windows 7 with media center. Mac's also have some neat features that PC's do not. Boot camp is annoying to use, so be prepared to stick with one of the two OS's for most of the time.

[*]My hesitancy comes from owning a Mac with a PC card years ago which was a total bust from APPLE !!

6. Snapple123 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I have to install the program twice.....

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

• See above, good luck with your decision!

8. Snapple123 thread starter macrumors newbie

More Questions......

How does one determine if they should install Windows 7 at 32 bit, or 64 bit?

Is there a big difference in buying your new Mac from a local Mac store vs. Online? The online store has a lot more printers to choose from -- that being said I wonder though if I want to build a relationship with my local Mac store, and the local Mac store will throw in the extended keyboard for free......

Thoughts? Many thanks.....

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There are countless threads about this, but the cliff notes version is: Consider 64 bit only if you a) Have more than 4GB of RAM and b) Intend to use mostly "new" applications. On a new Mac (except the low end Macbook) this should be the default position.

However: Consider 32 bit even if you have 4 GB of RAM if you main goal is compatibility with older 32 bit applications.

The middle of the road psoition is to get 7 Pro or Ultimate, install 64 bit and use XP mode for compatibility.

By Mac store do you mean an Apple store or an independent reseller?

You also didn't mention what printer you have. This could be another driver as some printers just don't have good 64 bit drivers. (I have this issue at work on my laptop, the Panasonic copiers just don't have 64 bit printer drivers and the 32 bit ones won't install.)

EDIT: You switched from XP to 7 partway through the thread. Why? Have you considered just using your current XP in a Virtual Machine along with all its apps. VMWare and Parallels offer tools to take a working PC and convert it into a VM.

What applications are you using?

B

10. Snapple123 thread starter macrumors newbie

B:

I don't have a "physical" Xp disk......all I have is back-up software for my e-machine which installs a whole bunch of stuff specific to my e-machine along with Windows XP.

I was going to borrow a copy of Windows XP, but I would have to enter the serial number, and that would only allow that CD to be re-installed a fewer amount of times, without getting a new code number from Microsoft. I have had that happen to me before.

I want the PC side, because work uses PC apps, primarily Microsoft Office, and I don't want to buy the Mac version of Office, and I really like Office XP --- I also have a lot of software programs that are PC version only, i.e. Adobe Acrobat, and don't have the money to buy Mac versions right now. Granted, these are programs that are several years old, and older versions, but they still work just fine.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

11. Snapple123 thread starter macrumors newbie

By Mac store do you mean an Apple store or an independent reseller?

Apple Store

I bought from Amazon.com Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium -- it was the cheapest.

I have a Brother HL-1240, it's a workhorse, and probably at least six years old.

Have you considered just using your current XP in a Virtual Machine along with all its apps. VMWare and Parallels offer tools to take a working PC and convert it into a VM.

This is greek to me. I thought you could run VM on your Mac if you didn't want to run bootcamp -- I don't think I want an emulator. <?>

Thanks.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IMHO stick with 32 bit or even XP if you can find it. Things like Acrobat dig deep into the OS and are generally not well supported by newer OSes.

EDIT: e.g. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/512914

Be careful! the Brother FAQ http://welcome.solutions.brother.co...eg=eu&c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=hl1240_all&Cat=109 implies that your printer will only have basic functionality in W7 with the Microsoft drivers. If you actively use any of the advanced features you may well have a doorstop if you move to 7.

My last real desktop PC (a Dell P4 system) lives on as a VM on my Macbook I just used VMWare Converter to make it a VM before I removed the HDD and donated it. I have migrated off all the data, but there are stull some utilities and such that I never got around to finding newer versions of or that don't have Mac/W7 versions available.

It really doesn't sound like you need native speed for the use you are describing and with a VM you can run your desired Office XP next to your Mac OS X apps and transfer data between Windows and OS X without rebooting. Rebooting is its own form of hell.

In understand your reticence from past experience with the PC on a card, but it really is much smoother than that.

It costs you nothing (beyond the Mac of course) to give it a try. You can get a trial version of VMWare Fusion or Parallels and a fully legitimate ISO of Windows 7 which you can run for up to 120 days without activation.

B

13. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

Yes, because it is a native system, with the same CPU type and hardware.

Yes

Leopard is the previous version and is 10.5. Snow Leopard is the current version and is 10.6.

Yes, it will work exactly the same in Windows and you can continue to use Acrobat 6 in Windows. Since Mac OS X has native PDF support system wide, it has several apps that will allow you to scan using your document feeder* to PDF without Acrobat.

*Depending on your scanner make & model, again we need to know to make sure yours is compatible.

Yes. The easiest way would be to just leave a USB drive (flash, hard disk, whatever) attached to your system and copy files to it.

Boot Camp will allow Windows to read any files from your Mac OS X partition, but not write. Mac OS X will be able to read any files from your Windows partition, but only write files to it if your Windows partition is FAT32. The simple solution is to just setup Windows on a FAT32 partition and be done with it, and you can buy MacDrive to allow Windows to write files to the Mac OS X partition.

If you want to make the transition from Windows XP to Mac OS X or from Windows XP to Windows 7 then you will love a new iMac. If you just want a new Windows XP computer then buy that - Windows XP isn't going to take advantage of the iMac's new hardware (since it is 10 years old after all) so you'd just be burning money.

The Mac is nothing like what you experienced over 13 years ago. Apple is nothing like what it was over 13 years ago.

Not if you're actually making a transition. Like I said, if you just want a new Windows XP computer then buy that - Windows XP isn't going to take advantage of the iMac's new hardware (since it is 10 years old after all) so you'd just be burning money.

Because you're dealing with a 6 year old printer you'd most likely have to use the 32-bit edition. Although with 64-bit the processor can do math faster, you wouldn't really benefit from the 64-bit edition because of your older software.

Apple doesn't "throw in" free accessories like keyboards, they're just going to replace the wireless keyboard with a wired one - you won't get both. You don't really need to build a relationship with your Apple Retail Store, they're not going to give you preferential treatment just because you show up often. :eek:

In my opinion, the best place to buy is Amazon since they have lower prices, free shipping, and there is no sales tax. Amazon has a huge selection of printers and a great return policy if you are unhappy with your purchase.

The Apple web site will give you free shipping and a $100 rebate on a new printer though, so you might take that $100 in to consideration depending on your sales tax. Don't scoff at the rebate process either; Apple rebates are far more streamlined than anyone else's and you'll have a check within a week of your submission.

The eMachines restore disc will not work with your iMac. Period.

Pro tip: Microsoft disregards Windows XP activations after 180 days. ;)

I say use them! But if you're actually going to start a transition try to use them in Parallels or VMware Fusion.

Depending on how you use Acrobat you may be able to get away without ever buying the Mac version, as many features are built-in to Mac OS X already. Seriously, it's the most PDF-friendly OS on the planet!

Parallels and VMware will automatically clone your PC to your Mac and you can run everything as-is on your Mac while simultaneously running Mac OS X. They do not emulate anything, they just create a virtual container for your old PC on your new iMac. It will actually probably give you slightly better performance than your PC, but not much.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As I mentioned above, Your Mileage May Vary, Many have trouble with Acrobat 6 under W7, but as iMAVERICKam says, PDF support on the Mac side is quite good. In fact it's system wide and pervasive. Much of the what you can do in Acrobat 6 is built-in to the OS.

Note: Outlook XP also notoriously has some issues on W7, so if you are using that as your mail client you may wish to consider migration to something else.

I agree. An SD card works well in the latest Macs, or you can consider a network drive.

This I disagree with. If your goal is to maintain a workflow that works for you under XP then XP is the right OS. I agree to the extent that your ultimate goal should be to develop a new/better workflow.

Agreed 100%. It's not even like Macs 5 years ago when I came back to the fold. With today's Macs, full seamless Windows integration is possible.

That's the point I keep making. Unless you also plan to ditch the old software and practices you are better off sticking with 32 bit/XP. Why make two potentially painful transistions from XP->7 and XP->Mac.

VMWare Converter should work and the restore disc could work in a VM, but I agree don't even try it in Boot Camp.

B

15. Snapple123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks....

All very useful information, thanks! And........
    :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:

I placed my order today for an iMac and a Canon PIXMA MX860 Office All-in-One Printer -- free Ipod Touch, and 100- off the printer, went with the faster 21.5 inch iMac !!

I'm excited!

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW I have the MX 860 and love it. I leave an 8 GB SD card in it and scan to PDF on that, then I can pick up the scans from Mac OS or Windows on the network. Super handy.

NOTE: I tend not to use the double sided feature of the feeder it does jam more often than I'd like. So I just do two single side scans and combine them in Preview.

B

17. Snapple123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would like to hear more about your experiences with the MX 860....are you using the wireless feature? How's ink use and cost?

18. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Boot Camp installs HFS+ drivers on the Windows partition so it can read the Mac drive.

There's a program called "Tuxera NTFS" that allows Mac OS to read NTFS, so you can access your Windows drive from the Mac side.

19. bkap16 macrumors member

If you are using Bootcamp, your computer IS a PC. It's just one made by Apple. Boot camp is just a set of utilities to make it easy to set-up your system in a dual-boot. You choose when you boot up the computer which OS you want to run.

The two operating systems are completely separate. You'll have to install the printer for both OSes. But there's no such thing as a Windows printer vs. a Mac printer- it should work for both.

As far as file sharing, it's a little tricky. OS X can read, but not write, NTFS (Windows-formatted) partitions natively. The Boot Camp drivers include read-only HFS+ (Mac-formatted) drivers. Through third party programs, like NTFS-3G (free) and MacDrive (not free) you can get the OSes to write to the other partitions.

As far as price goes, the iMacs are actually an incredible deal. The reason you can get a PC for much cheaper as that you probably wouldn't build a computer with a $1000 monitor (which is how much you have to pay to get a 2560x1440 monitor like the one in the 27" iMac)

20. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

Good luck & have fun!

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

My printing needs are light. The MX 860 is primarily a scanning station for me and for that it works extremely well. The printer is connected to my network via wireless (though I recently moved it and will probably switch it to wired. Setting up the wireless is easy if you have a Vista or 7 system and USB stick to transfer the settings that way.). It has a built in card reader and USB port so you can leave a memory card or USB drive attached to it and scan to that and pick up the scans remotely. (NOTE: As usual with Windows something is not quite right with the name browsing, it only shows up reliably in the network browser when my Mediasmart server is on line, before I had it I had to connect by IP address.)

I've stuck with Canon for years because they don't seem to be as draconian with their inks the colors can be changed independently and a multi-pack from Costco further keeps costs down. (A complete set of cartridges which lasts me ~6 months is ~$40.)

Actually NTFS read drivers are built in to OS X, and (as you say) read HFS+ drivers are provided with Boot Camp 3. There are many third party read/write drivers for both occasions.

B

22. Snapple123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now only if there were a way to send and receive a fax without hooking the printer up to a physical phone line.......then I could place it anywhere in the house!

23. marykom macrumors newbie

I gave disk space partition 100 GB Wndows XP. I have to print the instructions before installing and updating software recommended. I get the first screen is where you select the partition you want to install the operating system, I chose the C: Boot Camp as recommended, which moves to control hard-and copying the files in windows

24. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

eFax will let you transfer your fax number to them.

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I was going to say: "People still fax?" but refrained from doing so. :p

Seems like scan and e-mail is more common these days. My MX860 is not currently connected to the phone jack even though it is right next to one.

B