iMac as opposed to MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NewEyesOpen, Apr 24, 2009.

1. NewEyesOpen macrumors regular

I'm a college student who wants to get into music recording and switch over as a Mac user completely. Right now I'm running a 2005 Dell inspiron e1505 laptop, which does just fine, but Windows Vista is becoming too much to deal with.

I don't take my laptop to classes and go home fairly often (home is only 2 hours away from school). I'm not a huge fan of desktops, but for what I want do, I think it could be more bang for my buck.

So, therefore, I'm stuck between the portability of the macbook and the advantages, those i can't name because I'm not sure, of the iMac.

Can you guys give me some insight on the pros and cons of both? Prices, the components of both machines size, longevity, portability of iMac from one place to another, etc.

2. Illicit macrumors 6502

I often see music students take their laptops into the recording studio. Do you?
    You've pretty much covered the most important imac vs mb argument.
    a larger, more powerful system vs. portability.

The high-end macbook and the 20" or 24" iMac are similarly priced.

3. NewEyesOpen thread starter macrumors regular

No, I plan doing my own recording at home and in my dorm room.

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The iMac;
    • is cheaper
    • has a bigger display
    • is more powerful
    • has a larger internal HDD
    • has more USB ports (if you need them)

but you lose portability. The iMac is somewhat portable, in that it doesn't take you too long to turn it off, unplug all your stuff, put it in the car, and do the opposite when you get to your destination, but it is a pain, and it is much quicker to do the same for a macbook.

The iMac will possibly last you longer, as it is more powerful, you won't move it as much as the macbook, and it has less moving parts, but I've seen desktops die quicker than notebooks in the past.

5. Illicit macrumors 6502

It sounds like you're not the type to take their computer with them wherever they go, in which case the iMac sounds like a better choice.

If on the rare occasion you do need to bring it somewhere, it's not that difficult to lug around one time.

6. NewEyesOpen thread starter macrumors regular

Both of those sound like really good reasons. I do envision it just sitting on my desk at home or in my dorm while and would use it VERY often as, well let's face it, it's a mac how can one stay away from it?

I think down the line I'd like to have both a desktop and a laptop...not sure why yet other than the "why not?" reason.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Do you have any FireWire equipment? MacBooks don't have FireWire (unless you get the plastic one)

9. NewEyesOpen thread starter macrumors regular

currently, no. i believe all the new stuff i'm getting is all USB.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What's your budget? I'd get refurb MBP (the non-unibody if you want to save even more).

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If you are sure that you don't want to bring your computer to class. The iMac is definitely the best choice. More power for less money. If you're planning on buying a notebook within the next two years, I'd get the macbook now.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you go home often, and want to take your computer there, then probably a macbook. I do remember some carrying bags for the iMac in macworld magazine, but that just looks like a PITA.

Do you think your dell laptop is hackintosh material?

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Transporting the iMac: Takes two minutes to put the iMac into its original box and two minutes to get it out again on the other side. Of course you would need a proper space to set it up at home. You might invest into a spare power cable and a spare Ethernet cable that stays permanently at your home place.

For the same money, the iMac will always be a much better computer than a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Of course, it is not portable. You can't use it on the sofa or in the garden. And you can't just throw it in the car if you go away for a weekend. On the other hand, it may make you concentrate on your work better. And for about the same money as an aluminium MacBook, you get a 24 inch screen which is great.

The iMac is better for serious work. The MacBook is better for fun.

14. dbwie macrumors 6502

my vote...

is iMac, based on your description. I have the MacBook and have used my brothers iMac. Both are great user experiences, iMac will better suit your specific needs.

15. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I would vote for the iMac while simultaneously keeping your notebook for when you need portability.

Have you tried reinstalling Vista or perhaps the Windows 7 beta?

16. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I agree with Jack Flash. Get the iMac and suffer with the Dell 'til you can get a Macbook later. :) Or, why not get both, huh? Refurb 20" iMac fr $849 and refurb white Macbook for $849 = $1698 total for both? Not a big difference there... :D Another $100 would put 4GB of RAM in both of them...

17. NewEyesOpen thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure what my budget is. I'm willing to spend a good bit as I think it's worth it.

18. NewEyesOpen thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean by hackintosh? Do you mean is able to be sold for parts?

19. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Mean installing OS X 10.5 on non-Apple computers. Generally not worth it for a laptop. I'd suggest making the Dell's RAM out, buying a 7200 RPM HDD an installing the Windows 7 Beta (RC 1 is coming out/is out) then deciding whether or not to buy a new computer.

iMac is a nice machine, though.

20. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

Get a Macbook (Max out the RAM, but not from Apple of course) and a big display from Dell. That's your best bet.
    You're going to hate your life if you try to record on a tiny Macbook screen.

I'm a music industry grad. I know from experience that a Macbook is more than capable enough for recording but the tiny resolution is just really tough to deal with when you are tracking and editing. And when you want to take it home or elsewhere you will just unplug the monitor.

21. NewEyesOpen thread starter macrumors regular

The MacBook has always been what I really want. I think it's more logical right now for me as a student going back and forth from home and school and maybe even taking it out to lectures or band practices occasionally.

22. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I would struggle to buy old(er) tech, (for myself), but then perhaps that's just me. It's not a 'cheap' purchase anyway.

23. NewEyesOpen thread starter macrumors regular

Same here, refurb or older stuff just doesn't cut it.

24. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Apple's refurbs are better than new.

25. NewEyesOpen thread starter macrumors regular

How is that?