iMac - buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ruvil, Dec 26, 2010.

  1. ruvil macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2010
    #1
    Hi guys!

    I have been wanting to buy an imac for quite a while now(my first) and in early january i will have enough money to buy the one that i want - 27" quad-core. And as most of you know apple will release a new version of the iMac in quite a while. The thing is that i am not sure that i want/can wait any longer if i really do have the money for it.

    Do you guys think it would be wise to wait for it or just to buy the iMac as soon as i get the chance?
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    If you need it now, then go ahead and buy it. An update for iMac may easily be nearly 6 months away
     
  3. ruvil thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2010
    #3
    Well yeah, thats the problem. I dont really need it riight now, but it much more that i want it. But if the hardware is going to be very much better i will probably wait, even if i would easily manage with the current set of HW that comes with the imac.
     
  4. videoed macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2009
    #4
    would it be your first iMac or your first Mac?

    did you check refurbs?

    Looks like they are offering the 27inch with the 4850 vid card instead of the 5750 for $1699 vs $1999

    what kind of computing do you do that requires heavy processors?
     
  5. redkamel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    #5
    If you would be happy with a quad core i7/i5 with up to 16gigs of RAM that can pretty much hang with a low end macpro, get it. It will last for at least 3-4 years I imagine.

    If you can wait longer, wait. But I doubt the next revision will have anything too crazy...unless you really want Sandy bridge and the option of >16gig RAM

    No one would ever call you stupid for buying a quad core imac in Jan
     
  6. TheNakedMan macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2007
    #6
    I'm buying an iMac. I usually wait until the new stuff comes out and max out ram. I did that with my 2 macbook pro's.

    It's so hard to wait.
     
  7. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #7
    If you can wait, wait till may for the student special! ;)
     
  8. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

    iPhoneCollector

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2010
    Location:
    Home
    #8
    Get it now. Now is just the right time and jobs will love you for that;)
     
  9. ruvil thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2010
    #9
    This will be my first Mac over all...

    I am not sure that applestore in sweden sells refurbs, at least not what i have been able to see.

    I will do mostly movie/tv encoding(both normal SD and HD) using handbrake or any other tools i can find.

    The waiting game is always hard to play especially when it comes to new hardware, but i have decided to wait until the CES to see if Apple will release anything interesting, if not i will probably buy the current one.
     
  10. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #10
    Swedish store does not have refurbs, just like the Finnish one :(

    I doubt we'll see new iMacs in CES. It has been only 5 months since the update, way too short time for an iMac update unless Apple has totally changed their update cycles. Sandy Bridge will be released in CES so at least we'll see how much better the next gen iMacs will be
     
  11. Sbowen67 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    #11
    Not to be disrespectful to the op, but I personally hate it when people come on the forum to ask should they buy or wait. Seems like a total waste of time to me ;)

    If you want it... get it.... if you don't .... wait!
     
  12. keaide macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2010
    #12
    I'm in the same situation and want to get my first iMac in January... I could wait another month... but not for another 6 months...

    ... and if I buy it now, then I will feel better because the time distance to the release of the new iMac will be longer :D
     
  13. ruvil thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2010
    #14
    Obviously i am a macnoob, but it feels like Apple could present the iMac at CES and then start to sell it in late Q1 or perhaps even later. I am not sure if thats how they usually do things, but oh well. We will just have to wait and see...
     
  14. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    #15
    buy now...it will be a while for the imac update....
     
  15. sweetypaula macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2010
    Location:
    NY
  16. Jonny1989 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    #17
    i bought mine a little while back, i was going to wait it out but i knew i would be waiting for the next one after that and i would never end up buying it.

    best choice would be buy it now while you can.
     
  17. Wheeler macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2007
    #18
    I wanted to get one now too, and I did. Arrives Thurs. The refirb i7's just seem like a sick deal for what u get. Hope riplock isn't an issue for me...
     
  18. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #19
    Buy now, and enjoy. It could be awhile until the next refresh, and you'll miss out on enjoying Mac OSX.
    That's my opinion, and I'm stuck with it.
     

Share This Page