iMac crashes all the time

Discussion in 'iMac' started by petri71, Aug 21, 2011.

1. petri71 macrumors newbie

Hello,

My 5 month old iMac 27" 2,93GHZ, 8GB memory (1333MHz DDR3) on 10.6.8 does not stop crashing these days. I am not working more often than usually and have not added any externals...

It looks like when I use a lot of program together and maybe a lot of Internet connection I get the "black curtain" coming from above and telling me in a few languages that I should force to quit by pressing the power button in the back.

Anybody knows how I could track the problem ? Should I bring it back to the shop ?

thank you in advance for any useful answer.

Petri

2. wxman2003 Suspended

3. majkom macrumors 65816

run apple HW test - its on the appDVDu get with imac - reboot, hold d and then use apple hw test - extended one - it takej approx. 1 hour - mine found out problem with ram, i switched ram modules and it works flawlessly:)

4. Texran macrumors regular

If you added ram, test it. Do it quickly by removing it and using the stock ram only and see if you have any problems.

5. err404 macrumors 68020

No modern system should crash. period.

Be it Windows, OS X, Dell or Apple. If a machine is unstable, there is a problem.
    While I prefer Apple for their OS, design, build quality and customer service, there is nothing inherently wrong with Dell or Windows.

OP, just run the RAM test then call Apple and see what they have to say. Also, it is not necessary to remove any non-Apple RAM before calling for support. RAM is user serviceable and adding more shouldn't impact the support you receive. (They may ask you to remove it, but you don't need to in advance).

6. petri71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you... resetting the PRAM seems to have solved the problem....

:)

7. petri71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

My problem started again, so I took majkom's advice and ran Apple HW test.
    I almost immediately got the following error code :

4MEM/9/4/40000000:0x67301818

Does anybody knows what it means ?

Thank you in advance for your answer

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There is a useful answer that you should have thought of yourself. It looks very much like hardware problems. The Mac is months old, so it is under warranty. Apple will fix it or replace it free of charge with no problems at all. But only if you tell them about it.

Yes, the guys at the nearest Apple Store which will fix your Mac know what it means :)
    My guess is some problem with RAM; the codes probably tell them exactly which RAM chip is broken.

If you added RAM yourself, you might consider taking it out and see what happens; if the RAM is at fault then call the seller for replacement.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am not trying to be a jerk, but have you considered contacting Apple's technical support? They do employ people to help users troubleshoot. Just sayin'.

EDIT: You say it crashes during internet access - have you tried different browsers, tried to see if it is always the same web site, turning on and off JAVA Flash and other plug-ins?

11. petri71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for your answers and sorry to take your time.

It's just that I live in China, don't speak Chinese, and believe me, the Chinese Apple Support is not that easy to communicate with.
    As for the closest Apple store, it's still one hour drive for me, in a cab as I don't have a car.

That is why I posted this here, hoping I could solve the problem myself.

But as I can read from your answers, I'd better bring it back to the Apple store and hope they repair it in less than two weeks... :)

12. err404 macrumors 68020

OP, your circumstances do appear to make things more difficult for you. There is a good chance that your issue is RAM. If you have access to another set, swap it out. That may help, but you will have a hard time getting Apple to cover the replacement w/o giving them the machine.

13. TerenceW macrumors member

Have you tried 'MacKeeper'? It fixed a similar problem on a friend's MBP

14. Pieohpah macrumors newbie

Have you tried applejack? Google it, it fixes a lot of stuff, but I hope your hardware's ok all the same!