Imac Display off - still hard drive and fan noise

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Andythed, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Andythed macrumors member

Hi,

When I turn my imac to sleep, the fan noise and hard drive noise continues (as though I was still using it).

What does this mean? I thought sleep would pause everything. Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

Andy

2. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

Do you have Internet Connection Sharing on? as the system cannot fully sleep if it's enabled.

3. Andythed thread starter macrumors member

I am not sure. I have never turned sharing on.

Sometimes it does turn down but sometimes it does not. It is confusing

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. Fans wouldn't stop immediately, but only after the Mac is cooled down.
    2. Newer Macs do things even when they are asleep. For example, they can do Time Machine backups while asleep. If you have a Fusion drive, it will optimise that when you are not using the Mac, including while it is asleep.

The noise should stop quickly. If it doesn't, open Activity Monitor to find out what apps are running.

And just in case there is confusion, "display off" and "sleep" is not the same thing.

5. ifraaank macrumors regular

ifraaank

I found out that if i put my iMac to sleep, and later plug my iPad or iPhone into a wall charger, the iMac fans and HDD starts, but the screen doesn't turn on. I assume this is the automatic Wi-Fi sync. Maybe thats what happens to you? :)

6. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I could be wrong, but if the mac is new it may be indexing. this usually takes along time before its finished. it could be several hours sometimes depending how much data you moved over ect.