Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neo_x1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2018
Australia
My 27 inch iMac late 2012 model doesn't recognize its thunderbolt ports any more after I upgraded OS X to 10.10.5, currently 10.13.6. The System report states "Thunderbolt: No hardware was found." The thunderbolt ports were last recognized by 10.10.3.

I did SMC and PRAM. Self diagnose test passed at least twice. The third time running it (at the request from Apple support) the cooling fan in iMac spinning crazy. I aborted the test. Not sure this is problem or not. Does the cooling fan spins crazy during self diagnosis? It didn't in the first two times.

There was one post at other forum talked about install Thunderbolt firmware 1.0. It was not working for me, as the OS X indicated it won't support. By the way, currently, the thunderbolt firmware 1.2 is installed, but the software update keeps sending it back to the list to be installed again. It is a never ending cycle.

How to make OS X recognize its thunderbolt ports? Many thanks

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
I presume you took a Time Machine backup of your iMac when it was running 10.10 before you upgraded to 10.13, right? In any case, it's hard to say, but as a last resort you might need to consider erasing the hard drive and reinstalling macOS but realistically, only firmware could cause Thunderbolt ports to mysteriously fail after an upgrade if it's not hardware-related. If that's the case, don't be surprised if erasing and reinstalling macOS makes no difference and I wouldn't rule out a possible hardware problem either. Were you actively using the Thunderbolt ports before you upgraded from 10.10? In any case, make sure you first take a Time Machine backup if you decide to go down the route of erasing and reinstalling macOS.

Last edited:

Neo_x1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2018
Australia
I presume you took a Time Machine backup of your iMac when it was running 10.10 before you upgraded to 10.13, right? In any case, it's hard to say, but as a last resort you might need to consider erasing the hard drive and reinstalling macOS but realistically, only firmware could cause Thunderbolt ports to mysteriously fail after an upgrade if it's not hardware-related. If that's the case, don't be surprised if erasing and reinstalling macOS makes no difference and I wouldn't rule out a possible hardware problem either. Were you actively using the Thunderbolt ports before you upgraded from 10.10? In any case, make sure you first take a Time Machine backup if you decide to go down the route of erasing and reinstalling macOS.

Thanks a lot. unfortunately, I don't have a time machine before upgrade. I have tried fresh installation on an additional external drive with OS X 10.9 (It took a long time). The ports are still "Thunderbolt: No hardware was found.". It seems that two possibilities: firmware issue (new software doesn't compatible with old 1st generation hardware) or hardware damage. I don't know where the firmware software was written to (for PC it has BIOS on board).

I was hoping that I could use this iMac as a decent monitor when the time came

Neo_x1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2018
Australia
Did you manage to get your Thunderbolt ports working again?
Truly appreciated for your asking. No. unfortunately. I recalled a year or so ago, my old relative accidentally unplugged my iMac from power while it was sleeping. Maybe, the TB ports were damaged during the power loss.

Neo_x1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2018
Australia
Did you manage to get your Thunderbolt ports working again?
Recently, Safari 12.0 update was installed. Thunderbolt ports are recognized. I connected one additional monitor via TB, it works. In the end, it was an OS X software conflict or incompatible with 1st generation TB hardware. Relieved to see it works again.

Last edited:

Neo_x1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2018
Australia
A new development today, in App Store, the Thunderbolt Firmware Update 1.2 shows up again in available updates, which I had installed many times before. The system dose NOT recognize the Thunderbolt ports again. :-(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 9.59.59 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 9.59.59 pm.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 924

Neo_x1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2018
Australia
The Thunderbolts are recognized again tonight. The Thunderbolt Firmware Update 1.2 disappeared. It seems not stable.

Neo_x1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2018
Australia
Updates: It seems that if the iMac is disconnected from power socket after shut down and left it unplugged for several days. Plug into power socket and turn on immediately, the Thunderbolts will not be recognized. This reminds me that there is a battery on motherboard of PC. If this battery is dead, so dose some basic parameters stored in CMOS will be lost. No sure where the driver or "settings" of Thunderbolt is stored on iMac.

Last edited:

kayanwan

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2019
France - Lyon
Updates: It seems that if the iMac is disconnected from power socket after shut down and left it unplugged for several days. Plug into power socket and turn on immediately, the Thunderbolts will not be recognized. This reminds me that there is a battery on motherboard of PC. If this battery is dead, so dose some basic parameters stored in CMOS will be lost. No sure where the driver or "settings" of Thunderbolt is stored on iMac.

Hi,

I had the same problem suddenly some weeks ago :(
I tried everything. (PRAM, SMC, change adapteur, cable, etc, ONYX, safe mode, Apple Hardware Test, etc...)
I tried to install Mojave 10.14.4 Beta (18E215a) ==> Nothing :(

Sometimes, my iMac recognise the name of the external display in preference pane and detect the screen but not work. (No Image)
Maybe the problem occurred when i disconnected my iMac from power during a long time (Battery CMOS ?)

What can i Do ?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I had an instance where my 2010 MacBook Pro stopped "recognizing" its firewire port.

I had the logic board changed under warranty, and for a while it worked ok, then once again couldn't "see" the firewire port.

Then I happened to boot from another drive with a different version of the OS on it, and ... just like that... the firewire port came alive again. And after, it was always "recognized".

So... I'm thinking that somewhere deep within the OS (a "kext" file, perhaps?) is something that (during boot) tells the Mac hardware that "the port is there" and makes it available for use.

I'm wondering if something similar might apply in the OP's case.

Reactions: kayanwan

Neo_x1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2018
Australia
Hi, all guys. My thunderbolt port disappeared again. I think there is some issue of older hardware is no longer supported by iOS. I think it is time to forget it or buy a new computer.

By the way, I found my own 2012 model iMac27 with 3.4 i7 processor 32 GB DDR3 fusion drive is running faster than the one in my office, which was bought last year, with 3.4 i5 processor 8GB DDR4, 1T SSD.

A conspiracy theory :), Apple disabled the thunderbolt ports, so you can't use it as external display. Note that recent and new iMac doesn't support that. You either buy a Apple display or a new iMac 27. Got it :) Apple is not environment friendly, if yes, they would allow you to use old iMac 27 as a decent monitor.

Last edited:

babaloo72

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
Hi,

I had the same problem suddenly some weeks ago :(
I tried everything. (PRAM, SMC, change adapteur, cable, etc, ONYX, safe mode, Apple Hardware Test, etc...)
I tried to install Mojave 10.14.4 Beta (18E215a) ==> Nothing :(

Sometimes, my iMac recognise the name of the external display in preference pane and detect the screen but not work. (No Image)
Maybe the problem occurred when i disconnected my iMac from power during a long time (Battery CMOS ?)

What can i Do ?
[doublepost=1568319456][/doublepost]
Guys Same Problem here ., I have tried everything also reinstalling old thunderbolt firmware update from maverick :( no luck

JT2

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2019
I've got this same problem. I've tried everything on line to remedy this but to no avail. The only thing that changed for me is Mojave. Running the hardware tests show no issues.

Here are some screen shots. Maybe someone can help fix this. It's MADDENING.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 2.17.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 2.17.38 PM.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 478
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 2.12.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 2.12.41 PM.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 499

proximity

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2006
I have an iMac 27 5K, Late 2014 which I've been using with a Promise Pegasus and external Belkin thunderbolt dock. I updated to Catalina a couple a weeks ago. A week or so after I updated, I was about the use the machine when I noticed that the Pegasus drive had been suddenly disconnected.

Now I have the same issue. The thunderbolt ports seem completely dead. I've tried switching cables, and tried the the thunderbolt hardware on a different Mac with no problems. System Profiles looks similar to user JT2 above.

I can't really blame macOS Catalina since it worked perfectly for more than a week before suddenly dying.

I've tried PRAM, SMC, reinstall macOS, unplugged power and waited etc. Nothing has helped.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Please add me to the list.

I recently bought an Apple Thunderbolt/FireWire adapter, just got around to using it with an external HDD. Same story as everyone else, my iMac does not recognize the connected drive or the thunderbolt port.

This is the first time I've ever used, rather, attempted to use, the thunderbolt port so I have no idea if it hasn't been working all along or what.

UPDATE: I updated to High Sierra & one day decided to test out the Thunderbolt/FireWire adapter yet again, with a FW external HDD, boom! Everything worked. My iMac acted like everything was normal & there had never been any problems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Great! Don't feel like I wasted my money after all. Yay!

Last edited:

khabc

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2020
Same problem. imac 27 inch late 2012, both thunderbolt ports stopped working. I was using one as an external monitor, while I was using it, the monitor went dark and nothing works on the ports. Have checked the monitor and cable to be in working order with another system.

NikitaBeenIt

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2020
Same problem i have with my 21.5 iMac 2017 4K. It just stopped after i had the memory and storage upgraded. Now i have faster machine but no thunderbolt 3 and i've been suffering with this issue for about a year now. very furstrating and i dont know what to do anymore. i searchd online for any workaround to no success. please help.

Earl Estrera

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
Any luck with this issue? Same thing happened to me when I update to OSX 10.13.6 for my imac 2011 27". My Caldigit hub was working perfectly before the update and now it's dead. Tried the same hub on my macbook pro and it detects easily. Searched everywhere for answers, tried all the resets and reinstalls of osx but still doesn't work

LarryBoyce

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2021
Florida
I just attempted to connect a dv camera via firewire adapters to thundebolt ports on my iMac 27" late 2012 model and nothing happens. Is it the same problem others on this thread are having? I can get the camera to connect to my Macbook Pro 2019 with the same firewire adapters and an additional USB C adapter and camera control and video capture work fine.

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 2.46.05 PM.png

Earl Estrera

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
Any luck with this issue? Same thing happened to me when I update to OSX 10.13.6 for my imac 2011 27". My Caldigit hub was working perfectly before the update and now it's dead. Tried the same hub on my macbook pro and it detects easily. Searched everywhere for answers, tried all the resets and reinstalls of osx but still doesn't work
So just to update, tried all kind of resets SMC etc to no avail. Strangely enough when I unplugged my mac completely and didn't use if for a day (I did a major cleanup of my room so took out al electrical equipment and rewired everything neatly) my mac detected it. Its been weeks trying to figure this out progrem and somehow the long unplugged shutdown completely fixed it. Not sure why but haven't encountered the problem again anymore even after several shut downs. Just though i would share. Internal battery maybe?

Reactions: trainwrecka

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
Remember when Apple made computers that would last? I have had more problems with my last two iMacs (2012, 2015) than any other Mac I've owned (roughly 10). My 2012 MacBook Air 12" has had ZERO issues. The main difference - I never updated past the OS X version it came with. It is locked in time... Amazing machine.

If anyone stumbles into this thread and has a solution for TB ports that just stop recognizing anything, please... send help.

ZakkAttack86

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2021
I've been racking my brain over this...

Late 2012 iMac 27 but system report doesn't look the same as others I've seen. Someone please figure this out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 6.09.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 6.09.34 PM.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 151
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.