iMac Freezing with iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JGF0x, Oct 17, 2008.

1. JGF0x macrumors member

Is anyone else having the problem with iTunes 8 where your iMac freezes completely (only the mouse will move but you can't click anything)? I started having this problem after upgrading to 10.5.5 and iTunes 8.0.1.

Apple support discussion related to this: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8298236

2. KB14 macrumors newbie

Same problem, seems no one has found a solution to this problem

3. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

I had same problem after upgrade to OS10.5.5 and iTunes 8.0.1. My Aluminum iMac would freeze just like you reported when I was browsing the iTunes store. I suspected the new 'Genius Playlist' as the culprit. I did a Disk Utilities 'Repair Permissions' routine. Then I went into iTunes and turned off the 'Genius' option. I did this in both the 'Store' pulldown tab and in the 'iTunes > Preferences > General' pulldown. I then did a full shutdown and cold restart. Upon restart I did another Disc Utilities "Repair Permissions'. So far (cross fingers) I have had no further issues.

4. aced411 macrumors 6502

yep

I am also having this problem. It's frustrating. I'll try that last advice about disabling genius.

5. JGF0x thread starter macrumors member

I don't know if this solution will work for everyone but I downloaded iTunes 8.0.1 from Apple's website and went through the process of mounting the disk image and opening the installer.

After the installer finished up I opened iTunes and haven't had a problem since then. Definitely try downloading it from the website (maybe Software Update didn't install it right the first time) and then reinstall it.

6. youashwag macrumors regular

I have had the same problem ever since Mac OS 10.5.5 and iTunes 8.0.1 software update. I have not had any problems with my aluminum iMac up until this point. It seems that it only happens when I am browsing the home page of itunes music,movies,tv shows, and etc. I'm not sure if I should wait until they do another update that will hopefully fix this bug or try to figure out myself?

7. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

Update to my post 6 days ago. My iTunes froze up again last evening. I had been browsing other web sites using Firefox (I doubt that has any bearing on the problem). I opened iTunes and went to the iTunes Store. Scrolled down but as soon as I went to to click on an item in the 'Free on iTunes' everything locked up. Had do a force shutdown. So I have now downloaded the iTunes 8.0.1 update directly from the Apple Support website, reinstalled, ran 'Repair Disc Permissions' and I will see what happens this time.

About a half hour later: Well...that didn't take long to find out there is still a problem. I was playing music in my library and surfing other web sites using Safari. Closed out Safari. Opened iTunes Store and went to 'Music Videos'. Locked up - only mouse arrow works. I noted that the song that was playing in my library continued to the end - but did not cycle into the next song. The 'song time bar' froze as did the computer clock.

8. Elbill macrumors newbie

freezing in itunes while scrolling podcasts

new to Mac. Went into itunes to see podcast directory and it froze in the same spot 4 times-all requiring a shutdown to clear it. did a disc first aid which listed some incorrect permissions( whatever that is) and went back and froze up again in the same spot.could this be a website problem with loading the page? Solutions ???

9. KJChevy3 macrumors newbie

I have had that problem recently, but only when trying to view podcast, seems ok when browsing miusic.

10. holden15 macrumors member

I have the same problem on my iMac with iTunes 8.0.1 and Mac OS 10.5.5. It only happens when scrolling in the iTunes Store for me. I even tried uninstalling iTunes and re-downloading it from apple.com, but that didn't work.......

11. sgarrand macrumors newbie

Same here..

I just wanted to add to this thread and keep it going. I'm getting the exact same thing with OSX 10.5.5 and iTunes 8.01. When this happened it reminded me of my Windows days. I hope they find a fix for it.

Scott

12. Padraic macrumors regular

Another one to the list...

Add me to the list, I've been having the same problem. No problems to date with my Alum iMac until 10.5.5 and iTunes 8.0.1...

Hopefully this is on Apple's Radar and will be fixed soon.

13. FloatingWorld macrumors newbie

Avoid mouse scroll

I've been having the same problem for the last several weeks. I am afraid how much damage I caused to my hard drive due to force shut downs.

Anyway, there are at least a few postings out there regarding this issue that suggest avoiding the use of mouse scroll and keyboard's arrow buttons while you are in iTunes store.

Prior to reading these posts, I thought iTunes had a conflict with my Time Capsule, but that turned out untrue. I repaired permissions, and even deleted itunes preference file, with no luck.

This workaround (avoid scroller) is inconvenient. Plus as a new mac user, this is pretty discouraging. Apple'd better be issuing a fix soon, otherwise I need to take my media purchases elsewhere.

14. Elbill macrumors newbie

freezing in itunes while scrolling podcasts

Went to apple tech service. First time no help-reinstall itunes and do the disc permission thing blamed itune store. Second time trashed a file itunes plist and that cleared it up for 12 hours.Now it is back to its old tricks and a new one appeared. On a forced shutdown it locked up on restart complete with spinning beach ball.I have changed from wireless ms mouse back to the apple mouse but I agree it seems like it locks up when I am scrolling.I have tried to be slower and more deliberate in navigating thru the podcasts but it really doesn't matter.:confused:

15. kc1 macrumors newbie

iMac Freezing with iTunes 8.01 & OS X 10.5.5 Workaround

Hi All

Got the same problem with iTunes 8.01 freezing up my new 3 day old iMac, while looking through the iTunes store. I noticed that it only happens while viewing the items on the store that are using cover flow. After a number of attempts at looking at the store and my Mac just freezing, giving me no option but to hold down the power button, I then decided to try a few things.

Coming from the Windows platform I was used to crashes and hang ups. During these times I found having the task manager open to be a good thing as you could see what process or application was not responding and it gave you the ability to stop the troubled process or application. I thought I would apply this logic to my Mac and open up the activity monitor.

With the activity monitor open, I then ran iTunes 8.01, navigated to the same area on the store where it had crashed my mac. While browsing the store I kept an eye on the activity monitor, watching out for iTunes to stop responding.

However it didn't crash my Mac and it has not done so :) Thinking this was a fluke I shut down activity monitor with a force quit and went back to iTunes and it crashed the Mac almost straight away. This left me no option again but to shutdown using the power button. On start up I opened activity monitor and then iTunes. I have now run like this for several hours with no crashes while in iTunes, as long as the activity monitor app is open.

Please give it a try and let me know how you guys get on. ps you can close the activity monitor so that its not on screen.

16. sgarrand macrumors newbie

Activity monitor and iTunes freeze..

I just tried this as soon as I saw the e-mail notification of your post this morning. I was able to freeze my iMac just by selecting "podcasts" and clicking the arrows to show more podcasts in any section. Activity monitor was open and not hidden. It was worth a shot I guess. Thanks anyway. :)

Scott

17. mzd macrumors 6502a

i've been having this problem as well. also an iMac.... :(

18. voodoofish macrumors regular

I did have this problem when I first got my iMac (the most recent one), which Apple Care suggested was because I used Migration Assistant to move my stuff from my PowerBook - and apparently when you use Migration Assistant to move from PPC to intel it screws things up. After doing a fresh install of Mac OS X and moving stuff over myself rather than with Migration Assistant everything's been working fine, so it is probably not the same problem, as I know at least some of you have said you are new to Mac - however, if any of you used Migration Assistant from PPC then a fresh install of Mac OS might help.

19. Elbill macrumors newbie

Itunes still freezes up

Just an update on my progress. I have contacted Apple and while they have been helpful and have tried many things -up to and including re installing the o/s I just froze up again while s-l-o-w-l-y rolling the scroll button browsing in video podcasts. I do have a case number and will be contacting tHEM AGAIN to see what is left. This is a new computer and nothing has been transferred in. If anyone can add any suggesstions please do. The techs from apple act like they have never heard about this-is that possible??:(

20. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Same thing is happening to me. And when I return to iTunes after restarting, my two Apple TV devices are gone from my device list (they are still connected to the network but my iMac doesn't see them).

21. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Turning off the genius function seemed to help. I'll keep it off until an update is released.

22. starduck1476 macrumors newbie

i have been having the same problem, i recently bought my computer and updated all the software, i have yet to update my music on my new iMac, so i connect my ipod touch and use that to listen to music, and at least once a week my computer freezes and which gets quite annoying considering the thing is new. but ill try the genius bar thing.

23. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I still experience the crash even with the genius turned off. Not so genius if you ask me.

24. holden15 macrumors member

Apple released iTunes 8.0.2 and the problem still persists. :(

25. geon macrumors member

I just had itunes freeze on my Mac Pro, that's why I'm here.:(

Downloade the recent update and it did the same thing, just the mouse moves, won't force quit. I haven't used itunes in awhile but looks like I have a problem.