iMac G3 Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EricJD, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricJD macrumors regular

I have two iMac G3's (both DV) here at home, one has a bad screen and the other has a bad motherboard. (or so says the person I got them from)

So I took the bad motherboard out of the one and replaced it with the good one from the iMac with the bad screen.

It boots up, but it shows a purplish-blue screen with a folder icon flashing between the Finder icon and a question mark. I assume this means there is no operating system installed?

So I tried putting in my Panther install disc, and it got to the white screen with a gray Apple logo and the spinning "loading" indicator. Then the Apple changed into a circle with a line through it (like a do not enter sign). It also did the same with my Tiger install disc.

Does anyone here have any idea what's wrong?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Are you using retail Panther/Tiger install disks?

3. EricJD thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using backup discs I borrowed from a friend

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Ok, are they backups of retail or machine specific restore disks? The symptom you're describing could be because you aren't using full 10.3/4 disks.

5. EricJD thread starter macrumors regular

They're backups of retail discs; they worked fine for installing OS X on one of my other (working) iMacs.

6. &RU macrumors member

You may need to get the original system disks, or a retail copy of OS 9. Once you have installed OS 9, go to Apple's web site and download the firmware update for your mac. Once you have done that you can upgrade to OS X. Hopefully no damage has been done in the meantime.

Hope that helps.

7. EricJD thread starter macrumors regular

The person I got the iMac from says that all the firmware updates have already been installed. So OS X should work, right?

I've tried both 10.3 and 10.4 installation discs, and both of them give me the same gray screen.

Attached Files:

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Please don't ask for help with pirated products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.