iMac G3 X-Ray warning?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JeepGC, Nov 4, 2011.

1. JeepGC macrumors regular

Hello all, I bought a new hard drive for my Graphite G3 and opened it up and only took off the metal shield. I noticed an X-Ray warning sticker. Did I expose myself to radiation?!? What in the G3 has X-rays? Is it safe for me to perform this upgrade? (I'm not venturing into CRT territory)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The CRT can generate X-Rays when its active. Most if not all CRTs can or do generate X-Rays. It is safe to upgrade the hard drive, just make sure to replace the shield.

3. JeepGC thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks! I was freaked out when I saw that, is there a special way to put it back on?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Carefully? Just make sure you drop any screws down into the iMac's casing. They're a pain to get out. Also, try not to tear the fabric bumpers around the openings.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

All CRTs (and TVs) can emit X-Rays because of the high voltage electron beam used to cause the display to emit light. They aren't too powerful with modern CRTs as the voltages are lower than much earlier designs. (Growing up with 60's era color TVs, my parents were always admonishing me with "don't sit so close to the TV".)

There's no emission when it is powered off. However use caution working near the tube as it can store dangerous high voltage for quite awhile after power is removed (especially around the anode connector, which is plugged into the side of the glass tube). Use typical safety procedures when working around high voltages - remove jewelry/watches, and try to work using just one hand (that way, if you do get shocked, it won't go across your chest (bad, on the good/bad scale)).

Otherwise, there's no problem working on the hard drive. (Hope I didn't put you off of working on the Mac. I just wanted to make you aware of some potential safety concerns when working on electronics.)

6. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

The slot loaders are pretty easy to change a hard drive on - you just flip it upside down and then unscrew about what.. 8 screws I think? (4 on the outside, 4 on the inside), and the HD can come out. It's not necessary to go any further than that.

gl! :)