Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umgolfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
MI
Does the new imac 17" look weird in person. It looks like there is too much white space under the screen as compared to the 20". I am thinking about ordering a 17", but am afraid it might look weird... My Apple Store did not have them in stock when I went in to see them. Thanks for the replys!

DickArmAndHarT

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
umgolfer said:
Does the new imac 17" look weird in person. It looks like there is too much white space under the screen as compared to the 20". I am thinking about ordering a 17", but am afraid it might look weird... My Apple Store did not have them in stock when I went in to see them. Thanks for the replys!

I saw a 17" at the apple store in soho and i thought it looked great. And thats comming from a guy that saw the picture online and thought it was horribly ugly and thought apple was losing there design touch. It sleek has a beautiful shiny ipod like finish and the screen adjust with ease.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
I saw it this week-end, looks pretty chunky to me... the 20" is pretty massive,too, but more on the 'holy cr@p how did this get in my living room ?' kind of cool way.

The first few times I looked at it I couldn't help but think of a huge ipod... after that the feeling changed to 'intriguing'...which is still were I am at. I am trying to understand it like the martini sipping crowd would try to interpret a space age sculpture... maybe I need to ad a hint more Wermuth :)

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
The 17" is, well, ok. The 20" is fine, much better.

Saw them at the Paris Expo straight after the Keynote so hadn't had too much time to form much of an opinion, but all I'll say is that neither is as stunning as the iMac G4, still my favourite computer design ever.

However - looks aren't everything. Even if you don't like the way it looks initially, you'll be over it as soon as you use it, the G5 chip inside it blows the G4 away in every way. Enjoy your iMac, don't let the looks worry you.

umgolfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
MI
Thanks for all of the advice! It really sounds like I need to see it in person to make a good decision. I know the G5 will be more than enough power for me (look what I am using now... :) ). I just wonder if the extra 3" will be worth the money/space if I am planning on keeping this 3-4 years. I am used to using an Apple 17" CRT currently so even the 17" will be a little bigger and the majority of time I am using my iBooks, so ANYTHING will be bigger then them. I would love a new Powermac G5, but that and a monitor are too much for my budget. :( thanks for the help!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
People are always worried about whether the iMac looks good or not. Looks compared to what? What current computer out there looks as good? Your choices are the other brands out in the field, and the iMac still looks better than anything they offer. So even if its not the nicest computer you've ever seen (ie: the iMac G4), its the 2nd nicest computer. I don't see the big problem.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Just went to the Apple store, and I have to say, I am a bit dissapointed. The new iMac does look a bit odd with all that white space at the bottom. Not nearly as cool or breath taking as the original iMac or iMac FP.

Even if it is still the second best looking computer, no one wants to move backwards. The iMac and iMac FP set the bar pretty high, and I don't think the iMac G5 passes either. The goal is to move forward, not backwards

umgolfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
MI
Abstract said:
People are always worried about whether the iMac looks good or not. Looks compared to what? What current computer out there looks as good? Your choices are the other brands out in the field, and the iMac still looks better than anything they offer. So even if its not the nicest computer you've ever seen (ie: the iMac G4), its the 2nd nicest computer. I don't see the big problem.

I think you misunderstood my original question. I love the look of the new and the old imac's. My question is does the extra space below the screen on the new imac look odd in person. To me, the website pictures make it look out of proportion. It looks like it may be too fat in that area. That said, I am only comparing it to the 20" pics, that appear more in line with what it should look like.

umgolfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
MI
Koodauw said:
Just went to the Apple store, and I have to say, I am a bit dissapointed. The new iMac does look a bit odd with all that white space at the bottom. Not nearly as cool or breath taking as the original iMac or iMac FP.

Was that the 17", 20" or both?

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I thought both looked weird. I like the look of the iMac G4, and the cinema displays better. (symetrical all around)

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
I saw the 17" in person at an Apple store, but only very briefly. My first impression was that the big white space did look a bit odd, which I expected after seeing the pictures. However, when you are sitting in front of it at your desk the experience may be completely different than standing over it in the store.

They didn't have the 20" yet when I was there (Saturday), but my impression based on the pictures is the same as the original poster's, that it looks more proportional.

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
Um, I don't know I guess when I saw it in person I thought "well you look a little bit chunky around your bottom" ...until I realized that IT'S THE WHOLE FREAKIN' COMPUTER!!!

That bumper is smaller than you think it is.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah, it looks odd. Too much space. I don't like it. Cool engineering, though. The one's i played around with at the Apple Store Chicago need much more RAM if a casual walk-in is going to buy it. It took over a minute to close Excel. I had to end up force quitting almost every open app.

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
I saw the 17" today at a CompUSA and loved it. The white space does not bother me a bit. I mean, I have this big, white, dome shaped thing under my screen now....iMac FP. : ) I agree with the person that stated that it is still better looking than anything else. One way to look at it is that the iMac G4 looks almost a bit fragile. Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but to some, they look dainty. The G5 iMac looks and feels like a beast. I can't wait to have one sitting on my desk.

br

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Another incredible thing is that the width of the iMac G5 is not much greater than the width of the Cinema Displays - but contains a G5 computer as well.

Pretty impressive.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Koodauw said:
I thought both looked weird. I like the look of the iMac G4, and the cinema displays better. (symetrical all around)

Yeah! They should have added a bunch of white space on all 4 sides!

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Chaszmyr said:
Yeah! They should have added a bunch of white space on all 4 sides!
It's bigger at the bottom because the power block and speakers are there, and you can't just spread them all around the case. Would anyone be happy if the white space at the bottom was still as big as it is now, but the white space all around was increased to make it look symmetrical?

I agree with those who feel that the 20" model does look better proportioned. More importantly, though, its screen has better specs than the 17". I thought it was the better choice for the money, and I bought one.

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I saw both the 17" and 20"-- I was surprised to like the 17" a little
more, maybe because the 20" seemed so big compared to it...
either way I thought both were pretty slick.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Koodauw said:
Just went to the Apple store, and I have to say, I am a bit dissapointed. The new iMac does look a bit odd with all that white space at the bottom.

get used to the minimalist design apple has embraced :) it's so beautiful...

granted, it first looks strange to have all that white space as if something would be missing. however, would you rather have the ports in front, or have a selection of totally useless leds in there? a big white space is "art", a statement.

by the way, which apple store? haven't you noticed that many apple stores look pretty minimal, too. some of them could be described as "gigantic grey box with an apple logo", and that doesn't look odd at all. monumental? maybe not, but great statement anyway.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I thought the 17" looked much better in person that on the web!
I was reserving judgement until i saw one...

I haven't seen a 20" yet - the shop only had a 17" on display.
So for me - they look much better in person than via pics.
I still suspect that the 20" one will look alot better though.

Thats my two aussie cents worth anyway.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
JFreak said:
granted, it first looks strange to have all that white space as if something would be missing. however, would you rather have the ports in front, or have a selection of totally useless leds in there? a big white space is "art", a statement.

I am still puzzled. Is the reason for the lower white border mainly a practical one (you have to put that stuff somewhere) or is it a sculptural choice (it actually enhances the 'display', balancing the form, ... glorifying the logo) ? If the components took up less space, would the designers keep that white border and made the hole thing thinner, or would they keep the thickness and remove the bottom bit ?
:confused:
:)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
MacinDoc said:
It's bigger at the bottom because the power block and speakers are there, and you can't just spread them all around the case. Would anyone be happy if the white space at the bottom was still as big as it is now, but the white space all around was increased to make it look symmetrical?

I was trying to be sarcastic/humorous...

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
i do not know, if this has been stated already before, i would also like to say, that i have ordered the 17" superdrive version and i have not seen the thing in real life.

and delivery would be on or before 10/12/04 :eek:

so back to my statement. the reason why the bottom part is so "huge" is because the iMac houses the power brick and the speakers.

would you rather have a seperate power brick instead?

nevertheless, i still love my flatpanel iMac. it will swing its arm as long as it can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.