iMac has bad internet connection, Macbook works fine.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mladenz, Dec 30, 2011.

1. mladenz macrumors regular

So this problem is bugging me a long time. My iMac used to get no internet connection at all and my macbook pro would lose connection all the time.
    So i went out and bought a linksys X-serie router. It fixed all the problems with my macbook, except with my iMac.

My iMac is losing internet connection and the speed is really really bad. My Macbook works just fine on the same desk my iMac is standing on. So I'm guessing there has to be a problem with my iMac.

What could the problem be? Any suggestions?

2. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

Do you have any network tools on the iMac that might mess with your network? any Tunneling stuff or TCPIP tools?

Are you using 802.11n or the hardline 100/1000 ethernet connection?

3. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

No it's basically a fresh snow leopard install. With only software like photoshop and similar tools.

I am using 802.11n, no ethernet connection. I don't want to run a cable 2 stories high.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Two stories?

Have you tried it closer to the wifi router? I might be the quality of the connection.

Rob

5. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Try changing the channels on the router. If you can figure out the channels of neighboring WiFi access points and manually assign your router with a 3 - 6 channel difference you will get better performance.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

another why doesn't my wi fi work post.

answer one hard wire if you don't like that answer then do

answer two place your wireless router six inches away from your iMac. not to be permanent just long enough to see if you have a working iMac. if the iMac works six inches away from the wireless router you have established all mechanical parts work and your software is okay.

if it does not work get back to us and we can troubleshoot what is wrong.