iMac likes to run HOT...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ayeying, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Hotter then my MacBook Air. I was not doing much, just surfing the net (non flash based sites too/minimal flash) and using iChat on my dad's iMac and I noticed the temps were a bit high then I'd thought it would be.

The Hard drive temp was stable at 60 deg C even though it wasn't be accessed, not sure if the HDD's sensor is broken or the drive is really at that temp. The bay is at 55 deg C also, so I'm guessing hte drive is really running at that temp.

CPU temps were 45-55 deg C, not too bad especially since its using the T7700 (A mobile CPU). GPU were in the upper 60s also, not sure if that has much to do with anything.

The power supply however, was hovering at 80 deg C.

The system gets so hot, that I cannot touch the casing for more than a second. I'd thought my MacBook Air burns my skin but the iMac burns it more.

Anyone got any suggestions? The hottest part is on the upper left corner.

Specs are:

2.4GHz Core 2 Duo T7700
    6GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Ram
    320GB Stock internal HDD
    256MB ATi Radeon X2600XT video card

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Those temps seem about right. This is why the iMac is a desktop. Not meant to be handled. :)

3. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

Faster computers need more air. I guess iMac loves to run hot.:cool:

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

iMacs run hot no matter what. The back of mine gets pretty warm and that's with not doing much on it.

5. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

My new iMac does NOT run that hot, but its the newer model...

CPU: 37C
    HD: 40C

This is actually the coolest running Mac I have ever had. My G5 idled in the 50s, and my MacBook is constantly in the 60s.

6. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

I honestly don't remember the iMac being hot enough that you cannot touch the casing with your bare skin. The most I'm worried about is the hard drive being at 60 deg C constantly. Aren't hard drives normally under 55 deg C operating temperature?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The temperatures are normal for the aluminium iMacs. They're also rather hot to the touch on top above the screen and near the rear vent.

8. one1 macrumors 65816

Here's my 2.4ghz aluminum iMac under normal use just reading forums.

[​IMG]

9. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

10. DavidR91 macrumors member

The whole point of an aluminum case/exterior is to conduct heat away from the insides - so of course it's going to be hot!

11. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I don't know that this is true or if its true for the older models, but mine reads cool and is cool to the touch everywhere.

Attached Files:

12. DavidR91 macrumors member

Put it under heavy load or play a game though, and it'll shoot up in temperature.

Good way to test this: Move lots of files (1000+) files to trash, and use "Securely empty". Normally that will make your core temperature and chassis temperature rocket (your fans will boost to compensate)

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...that only took 13 posts to suggest:D

15. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I played quake 4 for an hour just last night and it was still low 40s. :p

16. DavidR91 macrumors member

Quake4 for Mac was released for PPC and Intel in 2006 (hence being scalable, and catering for much lesser hardware) - as such, it's hardly going to be pushing the limits of your GPU's capabilities (or the system's a whole). Q4 uses the Doom3 engine , so in the same way modern machines can push Doom3 along without breaking a sweat, the same probably applies for Q4

Use boot camp, and try Bioshock maxed out instead. That'll stress everything much better :) (in particular the "GPU diode" temperature)

17. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Hardly push it? It can barely play it on high settings, let alone max. There is 0 chance of playing Bioshock on max with the 9400m and I am not willing to waste my time installing boot camp to play something thats installed on my gaming rig and my ps3.

Its been stressed, and on since I got it on Saturday. The thing just runs cool, and I am leaving it at that.

18. DavidR91 macrumors member

Oh, OK - well it's likely it just heats up differently being an integrated chip rather than a separated / dedicated chip (I've got an 8800GS, so that heats an awful lot under stress)

19. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Oh ya, for sure the 8800 would run hotter. Much bigger GPU and has a much higher TDP. I had forgotten about that model my self, sorry man. Though, makes me glad that I cheap'd out, I much prefer a cooler iMac to a faster one (I didn't buy it to play games). :D

20. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

Is this app anything that could potentially damage my iMac?

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No it shouldn't, unless you run all fans at 10 000rpm 24/7. It's a great app.

22. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

We are using smcFanControl to cool the thing down. It took 20 minutes to cool entire casing down to the point of where we can touch now. Now we're running at slightly higher RPMs on default but still, idling makes the system hotter then my MacBook Air seems a little odd.

23. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

The triumph of form over function. A Pyrrhic victory.

24. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Indeed. Makes for a nice skillet in a jam to. :D

25. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

Alright thanks. I'll remember this app in the future if my iMac gets too hot. I've had mine on since about 10AM and it's not really hot at all. I haven't really done anything but listen to music though.