iMac + MBP 13": Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JD92, Nov 22, 2010.

1. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Hey people,

I've currently got a 15" 2009 MacBook Pro and it's a great machine but it's a bit heavy for taking to uni every day. My plan was to use it as a desktop machine and use a MacBook Air 11" on the go - but I bought an MBA and I think it's a bit too small so I sent it back.

Right now I'm looking at possibly selling my MBP and going for the base iMac 21.5" and the base MacBook Pro 13" with an upgraded 320GB hard drive.

I was just wondering what peoples' experiences are with an iMac + MBP? Was it a good route to go down? Any tips for keeping things as synced as possible?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Personally I wouldn't go through that huge hassle (unless your just finding an excuse for yourself to ugprade :D) just to go down to a 13" MBP

My suggestion is to go with the MBA.

3. kyzen macrumors regular

what do you need to do while not in front of your desk?

What do you need to do while at your desk?

Imho, a 13" macbook air + an imac is the best route if you need light computing on the go and better peformance @ home, however if your at-home needs aren't that demanding, a beefed up MBP 13" + a cheap external display might suffice.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have 24" iMac and my 13" MBA should be here on Monday. I'll have most of my stuff in iMac and its data is shared so I can access it anywhere in the house from my MBA. I also have Dropbox where I keep my most important files and it syncs them to both computers.

However, 13" MBP/MBA + external monitor should be sufficient. If I was buying a new setup now, that's what I would get. And a Hackintosh desktop :p

5. uller6 macrumors member

uller6

I've got a 27" iMac i5 quad core, and a 13" macbook pro 2.4, 2010. I can get all my work done at home on the huge iMac screen, and bring my pro to work and back (I have an external 20" display at work). The pro is really portable, and doesn't hurt my back while biking. I use Dropbox to keep files in sync, and a mobileme alternative called Fruux to keep my bookmarks, contacts, calendars, and notes synched up. The best part: both of these together was still cheaper than my old 17" macbook pro!

6. MacSignal macrumors regular

Unless your desktop performance requirements are beyond the capabilities of a MBP/MBA 13, you could probably just get an external monitor instead of the iMac. One computer eliminates the complications of synching.