Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BovanBackpack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Gatineau, Québec
I've been trying since yesterday to factory reset my iMac, Erased everything on the hardrive.

Reinstall Mac Os X > Apple Store Connect with Apple ID > Downloading additional Components.

It goes from 31 minutes for the download to 42 hours, It was downloading all night it hasn't moved, I looked into (Command + L ) to check out the logs, it only shows errors.

https://twitter.com/BackpackMTL/status/748915508074786817?lang=fr

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Go to System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> DNS and just add: 203.122.233.11

BovanBackpack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Gatineau, Québec
Go to System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> DNS and just add: 203.122.233.11

I dont have access to my system preferences, since when i start up my Mac, it sends me to the reinstall menu.
[doublepost=1467393955][/doublepost]

Is there a way i can do this from the terminal ?

Reactions: grahamperrin

BovanBackpack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Gatineau, Québec
Depending on whether you are connect by wifi or ethernet, try:

networksetup -setdnsservers "Ethernet" 203.122.233.11

or

networksetup -setdnsservers "Airport" 203.122.233.11

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT200168
Depending on whether you are connect by wifi or ethernet, try:

networksetup -setdnsservers "Ethernet" 203.122.233.11

or

networksetup -setdnsservers "Airport" 203.122.233.11

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT200168

Command not found... this is getting worst.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Another, simpler option is to download the El Capitan installer, make a bootable installer stick from that installer app, then use that stick to reinstall El Capitan. Smooth, slick, and that install does not rely on a slightly-flaky internet connection.

Or, you could boot to internet recovery (Option-Command-R) which will reinstall the OS X system that originally shipped on your iMac - probably Lion.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Do you have another Mac that you could use to do an install using Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode?

BovanBackpack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Gatineau, Québec
Another, simpler option is to download the El Capitan installer, make a bootable installer stick from that installer app, then use that stick to reinstall El Capitan. Smooth, slick, and that install does not rely on a slightly-flaky internet connection.

Or, you could boot to internet recovery (Option-Command-R) which will reinstall the OS X system that originally shipped on your iMac - probably Lion.
Do you have another Mac that you could use to do an install using Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode?

I have another mac but no Thunderbolt option.
[doublepost=1467399434][/doublepost]
Anecdotally, coincidentally in a different topic, https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/23078029 "… not even downloading. Might be an issue with Apple's servers.".

Could well be, because i have done a factory reset like this before and it worked..

BovanBackpack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Gatineau, Québec

I restart my Mac it sends me directly to the Recovery Menu, Only gives me the option for El Capitan
[doublepost=1467410239][/doublepost]
Do both Macs have firewire ports? You can do target disk mode with firewire as well.
[doublepost=1467399645][/doublepost]https://support.apple.com/kb/PH10725?locale=en_US

No, this won't work :(
[doublepost=1467410479][/doublepost]Ive let the download from Recovery HD go for over 3 hours, timer went up to 112 hours remaining and gave me a message error, Ill try Internet Recovery

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
At this point you have a few options from what has been recommended.

-let it sit and hope it speeds up, or just wait and try it later.

-get a cheap USB 8GB stick or partition a drive with atleast 8GB and name it something simple MyVolume or Disk, download 10.11 from whichever Mac you have access to. and follow this guide:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

or just copy and paste this into Terminal with your USB or external disk connected:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

(MyVolume - replace with whatever you want to call it or just call it MyVolume)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I restart my Mac it sends me directly to the Recovery Menu, Only gives me the option for El Capitan
[doublepost=1467410239][/doublepost]

No, this won't work :(
[doublepost=1467410479][/doublepost]Ive let the download from Recovery HD go for over 3 hours, timer went up to 112 hours remaining and gave me a message error, Ill try Internet Recovery
If it is a 2011 iMac, and you are offered El Capitan, then that means you need to erase your hard drive (removing all partitions), not just erasing partition where your software is installed. That means your recovery system is still in place, and explains why you are offered El Capitan.
Internet recovery is not a simple restart, you have to press Option-Command-R
Booting to Internet recovery will allow you to both fully erase the hard drive - and, on your 2011 iMac, you will be offered a download of Lion.
If you really prefer doing the install with El Capitan, then use your other Mac to download the El Capitan installer. You can quit the installer when the download finishes. Then create a bootable installer. An 8GB flash drive is an idealt size, and is worth purchasing a new 8GB flash drive just for the purpose of making your bootable El Capitan installer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.