iMac - Next Update In The Fall?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by spcdust, May 6, 2008.

  1. spcdust macrumors 6502a

    spcdust

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #1
    Okay, you're all going flame me on even saying this as it does seem rather ridiculous considering we've just got an iMac update, but here goes.

    The latest update on the iMac, although a credible and decent one for those who have been waiting for the last few months for it.....I don't know, something tells me there might be something bigger late fall. And before you say it, I know there is never the best time to buy a computer etc. etc. etc.

    Don't get me wrong, it's a nice bump and if I was chumping at the bit for a new iMac I'd certainly get this update but personally "I'm happy" (relatively speaking) to hold fire for six months. I just can't help thinking (possibly wishfully) that come late fall there might be a bigger/more impressive upgrade to the spec than this one is actually offering.

    Any constructive opinions on this??

    spcdust
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
    It's your first post so I'm not going to flame you. It's not ridiculous to consider a fall update. Where did you get that idea?

    Montevina + Core 2 Extreme QX9300 this fall.

    Welcome to MacRumors. Please Google, Forum Search, or read the Guides.
     
  3. spcdust thread starter macrumors 6502a

    spcdust

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #3
    Thanks for your "gentle handling" of this newbie poster. I've lurked on these boards on-and-off for a fair few years and have read around the whole chip-set thing and have a fairly good understanding of Macs.

    Personally I would have always expected a Fall update, my "ridiculous" statement was more about me speculating on the next update so soon after this current one was released. My point was more that the fall update would possibly be more significant than this one as this does just feel like a "bump" (all be it a credible one)?

    Thanks again

    spcdust
     
  4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #4
    This update was quite significant. Even if Apple moves to Montevina we already have the majority of its features right now. DDR3 SODIMMs are still rare. We'll get a quad core option though.

    The Q9300 is in HP's Slimline Series already. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple got a special mobile quad core that's more of a desktop variant.

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=440001

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=427650

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=424508

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=408209

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=369081

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=351838

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=305777
     
  5. spcdust thread starter macrumors 6502a

    spcdust

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #5
    So the idea of having cooler running Montevina chip set (possibly) and therefore potentially quad core proccessing....well if I'm happy holding out for six months it would seem worth it.

    If you read between the line I'm trying to rationalise why I shouldn't buy the iMac now rather than hold off for the next update. Since having two children and everything these decisions have to be so much more considered.

    Cheers for your input.

    spcdust

    So the idea of having cooler running Montevina chip set (possibly) and therefore potentially quad core proccessing....well if I'm happy holding out for six months it would seem worth it.

    If you read between the lines I'm trying to rationalise why I shouldn't buy the iMac now rather than hold off for the next update.

    Since having two children and everything that entails these decisions have to be so much more considered as my Macs lifespan is somewhat more exteded than it used to be.

    Cheers for your input.

    spcdust
     
  6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #6
    It depends on your budget and how your current computer fulfills your needs. I'm not sure what your source of income is but I rely on technology and my quad core desktop has really cut the time to get tasks done. Macs are wonderful but they're still just tools. There's nothing wrong with using Windows.

    There are always going to be updates to hardware but if you desperately need a new computer and can afford it now would be the best time.
     
  7. spcdust thread starter macrumors 6502a

    spcdust

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #7
    Very true - there's always a bigger/better/faster update but when it comes down to it if you need an upgrade in the here-and-now then this is one of those optimal times to buy an iMac.

    I actually work in broadcast video post production and therfore I have access to higher performing Apple desk-tops. To contextualise how old my home iMac is, I'm running an ancient G4 800Mhz Angle Poise style iMac (I still love it though) - therefore anything that it is impracticle for it to do (which truth be known are many things now) I just bring it into work.

    Me thinks I'll hold off until the next update and then buy the top of the range configuration.

    spcdust
     
  8. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

    luffytubby

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2008
    #8
    my personal guess is an imac update at macworld 09.
     
  9. Icarus73 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2007
    #9
    The only thing I'd wait to buy for is a Blu-Ray drive. (even a read-only is fine).

    But since I'm not counting on that, AND it gives me an excuse to buy a PS3, I'm just fine with the imac that was just released. Now I just need the money.
     
  10. spcdust thread starter macrumors 6502a

    spcdust

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #10
    Strong possibility....that really is going to take some will power to hang on for that, I guess if I resign myself to January 2009 then anything before that is a bonus.
     
  11. xxjuicymintxx macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 2, 2008
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI
    #11
    The Blu-Ray drive on the iMac would be amazing. I know people have been mentioning this for a while.

    I remember when I had my 24" Alum iMac [which I miss :(], I used to LOVE watching the HD trailers from Apple, just because they looked so amazing.

    Now I have the MBP, and though it's a lot faster and portable, I really miss the huge screen and the all in one simplicity.

    If they did update the iMacs, I'd really like to see them give people the option of a model w/ either the matte or glossy screen. I know there's been 1567345 forum posts on this, but obviously everyone has their preference, and I'm sure Apple would please a lot of people making this option available.

    As for the Blu-Ray? Meh, I've got a PS3. It was my excuse, haha.
     
  12. sfroom macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2008
    #12
    I second the prediction of an update at Macworld '09.

    In regards to whether it's worthwile to wait, one consideration in holding off is always the resale value of your current machine (if you plan to subsidize the purchase by selling the machine you are replacing).

    I'm pulling the trigger with this revision. I knew my 19-month old 24" 2.16 iMac w/7600 GT was going to lose resale value with the release of an update, so I listed it and (serendipitously) sold it 4 days before the iMac was updated (however, I'm starting to worry that I may miss the quality of the screen! I set up my father's new refurn 24" 2.4 Ghz, and while the gradient was not at all prominent, it had backlight bleed much worse than my old white 24").

    With regards to your G4 though, it's unlikely the resale value will change much in the next 6 months, so if you're content with using the G4 for an additional 6-8.5 months, by all means!
     
  13. spcdust thread starter macrumors 6502a

    spcdust

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #13
    I'm under no illusions that my old G4 iMac will have much re-sale value, I'll basically use it as a second computer in the fmaily room for e-mail and web-surfing.

    spcdust
     
  14. CWallace macrumors 603

    CWallace

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #14
    I am not sure Apple would want to wait all the way to MacWorld to update. Even if Intel totally fumbles the QX9300 mobile quad-core, as Eidorian noted, there are desktop quad-cores that would work in an iMac, underclocked if necessary.

    By this time next year, the mobile Nehalem platform should be entering the channel. So a mild refresh six months from now (September/October) would coincide when the QX9300 is due. I expect we'll see the QX9300 in the MacBook Pro, as well, especially if Apple does release new cases next month as some rumor.

    That way, both models will remain "fresh" until the Nehalem models ship, most likely post-WWDC since I expect Apple will be talking about how to take advantage of some of the hardware features Nehalem will bring to the table.
     
  15. badcrc32 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2007
    #15
    I hear ya but its up to you

    Here is the thing....Where are you right now in terms of necessity....The quad core option is worth waiting for if you dont need it right now. Atleast to me.....However I purchased last week. Why? My pc has been on the brink since Feb. my harddrive is constantly running out of space, my monitor bugs my eyes...I really wanted the updated video card, so for me the answer was buy now. Perhaps I should of bought sooner. Would have saved me some fustration with my falling apart pc. My advice to you is wait till the quad core update if you can, but if it is a necessity purchase by all means buy. Maybe next update will have blue ray, quadcore, matte option....Who knows...

    On this site in the buyers guide it is a good time to buy because they just updated, however that may or may not be true for you do to personal circumstances....GL. Good first post.
     
  16. MacClassic macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #16
    Nehalem

    Look for an update at MacWorld '09. My rationale is pretty simple (and sound). If you look at the roll out schedule for Nehalem, they will begin production ramp up during the fall of this year for server and high performance desktop applications. That means we'll probably see Mac Pros with octo core Nehalem processors before the close of 2008. Intel has already booted OS X on Nehalem so it's a pretty safe bet they're testing on Mac Pro grade chips.

    The mobile versions of these chips are schedule for Q1 2009 and as we know, Apple is more concerned with thinness than performance so look for the iMac enclosure to shrink once again due to the cooler running chips. Apple also uses mobile chips in the iMac to create more distance between it and the Mac Pro and in that respect, the iMac is intentionally crippled.

    While iMac's current Montevina-esque features are a nice evolutionary improvement, Intel is expecting huge increases in performance with the next generation platform. I'd look for quad core processing in the high end version along with hopefully a blu-ray drive. True hyper threading becomes a feature (SMT) as well as on-die memory controllers. All of these goodies seem worth the wait and gamble for me as this should be a huge jump in power. My 3 year old 2Ghz iMac G5 is still chugging along so I might as well wait it out and get a 500GB back-up drive in the mean time.

    If the Mac Pro receives a Blu-ray option this fall, it'll definitely come to the iMac line a little later. Besides Jan 1 would be 8 months after this latest update which would be a prime opportunity for an upgrade.
     

Share This Page