Imac Or Mac Book

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KainAussie, Sep 5, 2008.

1. KainAussie macrumors newbie

hey i am thinking about buying a mac
    should i get a imac or a mac book
    i only need a laptop when i go on holidays
    or when i go over friends house bout 2 times a month
    what do u think?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm thinking that a library computer would serve your needs better. How old are you?

3. KainAussie thread starter macrumors newbie

whats a library computer

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

A computer... in a library. I don't know what the former British Empire calls libraries if not that, but for as much use as you claim, you don't need a computer of your own.

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If you only need the computer for basic things writing papers, email, internet, watching videos, listening to music then a MacBook would suit you fine.

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Same your money or your parents some money and buy a cheap $400 Acer laptop unless you are going to use it for more than surfing the net and as a word processor.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Wow you can feel the love in this thread. I think most people here forget that at age 15 your pretty much and adult and are capable of thinking on your own.

If it's for basic school use I would suggest a desktop. An iMac would be my first choice and would probably last you till graduation. Save the laptop purchase for college when you will really need it and can use the extra portability.

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Pretty much an adult? Are you kidding me. I don't know about you, but an adult buys their food, rent/mortgage, entertainment, ect.. I don't think too many 15 year olds do that.

9. tri3limited macrumors 6502

This is why people hate Macs... The users!

All he's after is some advice, he didn't say he wouldn't use the machine a lot except that he doesn't overly need a LAPTOP except for when on holidays or around a friends.

I have both, and would recommend the MacBook over the iMac purely as that was the order i brought mine (with money i worked for web designing aged 14) and i love the portability of the MacBook, although my new 24" 3.06 is a beast!

The OP is three years younger than me and I'm as adult as it gets, 18 on the outside but mentally about 35. I'm working full time instead of going to Uni, even though i got more than enough grades to get in, as i feel that Uni is a complete waste of time and money and wish to get on the housing market... You're as adult as your mind makes you!

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Since he doesn't have much need for the portability, I would go iMac. Less expensive for more computer (although not one you can carry around). If you're mainly sitting at the same desk using your computer, much of the advantage of a laptop is lost.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

If you say so. :confused:

BTW I have never encountered anyone who hates Mac owners for just owning a Mac and I take my Macbook everywhere.

12. Rtb1 macrumors member

Rtb1

Go with the MacBook

I went with the macbook. I like using it on the couch, bed, desk, kitchen, whatever. And whenever i need to i can take the whole thing with me.

13. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

What he meant by users, were the pretentious pieces off crap that sometimes happen to own Macs.

To the O.P, you're more than old enough to own your own computer, and definitely a mac a Mac.

We live in 2008, not 1992, pretty much every kid these days have their own computers, and if he wants one, so be it.

Think of all the things the Mac can help the OP with, in school :D

Enjoy, and go for the Macbook.

14. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

So what, he doesnt have the best writing skills, im 15, and own a MBP (Specs in sig)

Im not really using its full potential, but i would say get the Macbook, i hate holidays without internet and my own PC :p

15. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

that actually made me LOL

hmm , when you actually hit 35 , it really is a WHOLE different ballgame , trust ;)

As for the original question , whoever is paying chooses I believe .

EDIT > change of heart .....

...get a Mac Mini to see if you actually like using a Mac /computer , then go from there , actually better still buy G3/G4 , that way not too much £$£$ down the pan if you don't enjoy it eh

16. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Get an iMac or Mac mini. Laptops and teens do not mix.

TEG

17. Desamell Guest

Why not a laptop. I think a 15 year old would find a laptop handy.:apple::apple::apple::apple:

18. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I personally like notebooks better in general because it's powerful enough for most people and when you need to be portable, you can take it with you. Even with an iMac, the cash you save can be used to buy an external monitor if you need it later on down the road.

19. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I think Teg has a right.A 15year old kid won't take too much of a care to his laptop. No offense KainAussie.:)

Go for a Mac mini!!You'll be perfect believe me!:cool:

20. muldul macrumors 6502

If you don't intend to use it for much gaming, then the macbook will be perfect, you will find that you will use its portability allot. Can't take your iMac onto the sofa with you. I am also 15 (16 soon) and find that i take it to school regularly.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

On the one hand, it's the old power versus portability argument (I'd say for for the portability); then there is the consideration of space; many modern places are very limited on space - and again, a small size and portability score highly. Modern notebooks come with more than power for most needs; if you wish to trade up, or have something more modern/powerful, you can always sell. I'd say go with the MB.
    Cheers

22. emac82 macrumors 6502

Unless you ABSOLUTELY need portability, get the iMac...Check out the refurbs too for some good deals...

I love the iMac, it's my favourite, I had an iMac G5 but sold it for a MacBook because I needed portability, but I preferred working on my iMac, nice screen, solid power...

23. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Only if you want to be an actuary and you think you can pass all the exams by studying on your own.

24. KainAussie thread starter macrumors newbie

what do u mean wont take much care of it
    it wouldnt be out of my house like 3 times a week
    i think i would

and mac minis suck
    there crap specs

25. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Ok then do you mind telling us what do you need a Mac for?So we can guide you!Or else you'll hear opinions about everything!:)