Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KainAussie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
hey i am thinking about buying a mac
should i get a imac or a mac book
i only need a laptop when i go on holidays
or when i go over friends house bout 2 times a month
what do u think?

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
hey i am thinking about buying a mac
should i get a imac or a mac book
i only need a laptop when i go on holidays
or when i go over friends house bout 2 times a month
what do u think?

If you only need the computer for basic things writing papers, email, internet, watching videos, listening to music then a MacBook would suit you fine.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Same your money or your parents some money and buy a cheap $400 Acer laptop unless you are going to use it for more than surfing the net and as a word processor.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Wow you can feel the love in this thread. I think most people here forget that at age 15 your pretty much and adult and are capable of thinking on your own.

If it's for basic school use I would suggest a desktop. An iMac would be my first choice and would probably last you till graduation. Save the laptop purchase for college when you will really need it and can use the extra portability.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Wow you can feel the love in this thread. I think most people here forget that at age 15 your pretty much and adult and are capable of thinking on your own.

If it's for basic school use I would suggest a desktop. An iMac would be my first choice and would probably last you till graduation. Save the laptop purchase for college when you will really need it and can use the extra portability.

Pretty much an adult? Are you kidding me. I don't know about you, but an adult buys their food, rent/mortgage, entertainment, ect.. I don't think too many 15 year olds do that.

tri3limited

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
London
This is why people hate Macs... The users!

All he's after is some advice, he didn't say he wouldn't use the machine a lot except that he doesn't overly need a LAPTOP except for when on holidays or around a friends.

I have both, and would recommend the MacBook over the iMac purely as that was the order i brought mine (with money i worked for web designing aged 14) and i love the portability of the MacBook, although my new 24" 3.06 is a beast!

The OP is three years younger than me and I'm as adult as it gets, 18 on the outside but mentally about 35. I'm working full time instead of going to Uni, even though i got more than enough grades to get in, as i feel that Uni is a complete waste of time and money and wish to get on the housing market... You're as adult as your mind makes you!

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
All he's after is some advice, he didn't say he wouldn't use the machine a lot except that he doesn't overly need a LAPTOP except for when on holidays or around a friends.

Since he doesn't have much need for the portability, I would go iMac. Less expensive for more computer (although not one you can carry around). If you're mainly sitting at the same desk using your computer, much of the advantage of a laptop is lost.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe

I have both, and would recommend the MacBook over the iMac purely as that was the order i brought mine (with money i worked for web designing aged 14) and i love the portability of the MacBook, although my new 24" 3.06 is a beast!

The OP is three years younger than me and I'm as adult as it gets, 18 on the outside but mentally about 35. I'm working full time instead of going to Uni, even though i got more than enough grades to get in, as i feel that Uni is a complete waste of time and money and wish to get on the housing market... You're as adult as your mind makes you!

If you say so. :confused:

BTW I have never encountered anyone who hates Mac owners for just owning a Mac and I take my Macbook everywhere.

Rtb1

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
san diego
Go with the MacBook

I went with the macbook. I like using it on the couch, bed, desk, kitchen, whatever. And whenever i need to i can take the whole thing with me.

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
If you say so. :confused:

BTW I have never encountered anyone who hates Mac owners for just owning a Mac and I take my Macbook everywhere.

What he meant by users, were the pretentious pieces off crap that sometimes happen to own Macs.

To the O.P, you're more than old enough to own your own computer, and definitely a mac a Mac.

We live in 2008, not 1992, pretty much every kid these days have their own computers, and if he wants one, so be it.

Think of all the things the Mac can help the OP with, in school :D

Enjoy, and go for the Macbook.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
So what, he doesnt have the best writing skills, im 15, and own a MBP (Specs in sig)

Im not really using its full potential, but i would say get the Macbook, i hate holidays without internet and my own PC :p

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
A computer... in a library.

that actually made me LOL

hmm , when you actually hit 35 , it really is a WHOLE different ballgame , trust ;)

As for the original question , whoever is paying chooses I believe .

EDIT > change of heart .....

...get a Mac Mini to see if you actually like using a Mac /computer , then go from there , actually better still buy G3/G4 , that way not too much £$£$ down the pan if you don't enjoy it eh

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I personally like notebooks better in general because it's powerful enough for most people and when you need to be portable, you can take it with you. Even with an iMac, the cash you save can be used to buy an external monitor if you need it later on down the road.

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
I think Teg has a right.A 15year old kid won't take too much of a care to his laptop. No offense KainAussie.:)

Go for a Mac mini!!You'll be perfect believe me!:cool:

muldul

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2008
West Sussex, England, UK
If you don't intend to use it for much gaming, then the macbook will be perfect, you will find that you will use its portability allot. Can't take your iMac onto the sofa with you. I am also 15 (16 soon) and find that i take it to school regularly.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
On the one hand, it's the old power versus portability argument (I'd say for for the portability); then there is the consideration of space; many modern places are very limited on space - and again, a small size and portability score highly. Modern notebooks come with more than power for most needs; if you wish to trade up, or have something more modern/powerful, you can always sell. I'd say go with the MB.
Cheers

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
Unless you ABSOLUTELY need portability, get the iMac...Check out the refurbs too for some good deals...

I love the iMac, it's my favourite, I had an iMac G5 but sold it for a MacBook because I needed portability, but I preferred working on my iMac, nice screen, solid power...

theMaccer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
SoCal
I'm working full time instead of going to Uni, even though i got more than enough grades to get in, as i feel that Uni is a complete waste of time and money and wish to get on the housing market... You're as adult as your mind makes you!

Only if you want to be an actuary and you think you can pass all the exams by studying on your own.

KainAussie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
I think Teg has a right.A 15year old kid won't take too much of a care to his laptop. No offense KainAussie.:)

Go for a Mac mini!!You'll be perfect believe me!:cool:

what do u mean wont take much care of it
it wouldnt be out of my house like 3 times a week
i think i would

and mac minis suck
there crap specs

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
what do u mean wont take much care of it
it wouldnt be out of my house like 3 times a week
i think i would

and mac minis suck
there crap specs

Ok then do you mind telling us what do you need a Mac for?So we can guide you!Or else you'll hear opinions about everything!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.