Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewline6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
well 2 other people in my family hav the new 20" aluminium imac. i thought they were pretty cool and since i hav a dodgy laptop i'll get a 2.8 ghz 24" mac, probably wth 4gb ram so its fast. ive done research on the mac screens and saw that the 24 inch has 16 million colours and is hd quality but the 20 inch doesnt.

my friend is about to buy a pc with 22 or 23" screen 4 gb ram and 500gb hard drive for bout $1500.00

is there a reason why imacs are so expensive? what do imacs hav for the $800 more that pc's dont???

thanks

Chandler Adaway

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Beaumont, TX
Well....

For one, let me just point out the obvious.
It's a Mac.
The OS is better. The computer will last longer, etc.

But, have you seen Hp's all in ones?
They are VERY expensive, and still not as good as the iMac.

The iMac is hard to compare to a regular pc, because it's not built like a regular computer.

It basically is just a big monitor with a built in computer. Ha.

With the PC, you have the tower and all of the extra wires.

To me, it seems worth the extra money.
But that's just my opinion.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
is there a reason why imacs are so expensive? what do imacs hav for the $800 more that pc's dont???

The first thing that sets Mac's apart is OS X. Style is the next thing that comes to mind. From my own experience the level of service provided by Apple far exceeds Dell or HP in quality. Resale value is another ingredient in the soup.

Some folks have no problem buying a pair of Jeans at Walmart. Others would not get caught dead in the place. They would prefer to shop at a far more expensive store in the Mall. Why? Is the fit of the jeans superior? Do they last longer? Are they cut in a unique way that makes them look better? Why do they cost several times over what the Walmart jeans cost? Do they feel catered to in the Mall?

The same goes for a lot of things that are looked upon as premium selections. You pay for the real or perceived superiority of products.

As far as I am concerned Apple earns their money and produces a better product at a reasonable price.

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
Heres a list!

1) Better build quality
2) All in one design
3) Made out of much better material
4) Mac os x
5) Lasts longer
6) Screen is no doubt higher resolution and better quality (than a 22" screen at least)
7) Glass protection on the lcd screen (also has glossy effect)
8) Only requires one power cable to work (if you gat wireless internet, keyboard and mouse)
9) Takes up less space (yep no giant tower next to it)
10) Its a MAC, BITCH!!!!!(self explanatory)

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
The iMac is cheap compared to the other all in ones. Plus you get OS X. Plus your friend wont have a Full HD screen. Plus its the sweetest freaking design in the world.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The iMac is laptop-based, that alone ratchets the price up.

There are no desktop-based Macs, they are all laptop-based chipsets or using workstation/server chipset like the Xserve/Mac Pro.

There is something to be said for Apple using a single chipset for soo many machines, but it makes it harder to compete with PC desktops.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
1) Better build quality
2) All in one design
4) Mac os x
5) Lasts longer
6) Screen is no doubt higher resolution and better quality (than a 22" screen at least)
8) Only requires one power cable to work (if you gat wireless internet, keyboard and mouse)

1) really??? numerous hardware issues come to mind
2) i hate all in ones
3) really??? what makes it better?
4) Best reason
5) really??? i still have old pcs working. my emac is dying on me with its display after 4.5 years
6) ok but i hate all in ones. both my emac and g3 imac have display issues
7) that is nice
8) also nice
9) i hate all in ones
10) only reason i like macs are for osx. Period. In fact, typing from my hackintosh at the moment lol

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
is that pc 3.06 GHz?

is it brilliantly designed?

can it run os x properly and legally?

:)

its a 2.91 core2quad

components are top of the line and the case is very elegant

it runs osx without a hitch and legally its blurry

fact is, apple wont make a desktop for those that dont want an all in one that doesnt 1) cost a small fortune with more features than i need and 2) have a cheap option with a dedicated graphics card

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
yada yada !!!

2) i hate all in ones
4) Best reason
5) really??? i still have old pcs working. my emac is dying on me with its display after 4.5 years
7) that is nice
8) also nice
9) i hate all in ones
10) only reason i like macs are for osx. Period. In fact, typing from my hackintosh at the moment lol

1)you talk as if pcs have near to none hardware issues
2)good for you, so do i
3)well aluminum is better than plastic with a pit of steel holding the motherboard on
4)
5)guess it depends, all of my past pcs motherboards have crapped themselves between 2.5 to 3 years, for monitors well i have a 11 year old crt working perfectly, ugly as hell tho
6)well one mans trash is an others treasure
7)never seen this on a stand alone lcd monitor
8)
9)well a mac mini is not an all in one and requires almost no space.
10)and what other reason would there be to like a mac, awesome design, pfft without os x macs are not macs

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
1)you talk as if pcs have near to none hardware issues
2)good for you, so do i
3)well aluminum is better than plastic with a pit of steel holding the motherboard on
4)
5)guess it depends, all of my past pcs motherboards have crapped themselves between 2.5 to 3 years, for monitors well i have a 11 year old crt working perfectly, ugly as hell tho
6)well one mans trash is an others treasure
7)never seen this on a stand alone lcd monitor
8)
9)well a mac mini is not an all in one and requires almost no space.
10)and what other reason would there be to like a mac, awesome design, pfft without os x macs are not macs

1) the poster i first quoted said macs had better build quality. i dont agree. i think apple is right around industry average iirc

however, my point was is that macs arent inherently better imo in factors such as design or quality. i value macs for os x

i mean even my mb suffered from rsds (random shutdown syndrom) back in the day. aggravating as hell

but do i like macs? yes, i own them but also realize the benefits on products not apple related

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
1) the poster i first quoted said macs had better build quality. i dont agree. i think apple is right around industry average iirc

however, my point was is that macs arent inherently better imo in factors such as design or quality. i value macs for os x

i mean even my mb suffered from rsds (random shutdown syndrom) back in the day. aggravating as hell

but do i like macs? yes, i own them but also realize the benefits on products not apple related

ha ha its good to have a mac fight lol
i think mac build quality is quite good
while mac have their problems, i have seen more system shutdowns from a alienware.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
1)

LOL, Not sure whether the glossy screen is a good selling point. There have also been quite a few screen issues for many Al iMac users as well.

But anyway why a Mac over a PC? For me the answer is simple. The vast majority of Mac users actually seem to enjoy working on their machines. If the Mac is working as it should then they are a real pleasure to use. I just love working on my Apple machine, far more than I ever did when I owned a PC.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
To be honest, this sounds more like a troll...

But i think its best never to compare an imac directly with normal desktops. rather compare it with other all in one PCs, and when you do it comes out rather favorably in terms of specs and price

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
2) i hate all in ones
4) Best reason
7) that is nice
8) also nice
9) i hate all in ones

Ok I get that you hate all in ones that's your opinion and I genuinely think that you are entitled to it.
However I hate caviar I mean really really hate it horrible tasting stuff. However my opinion on it doesn't change the value of it, and doesn't make it overpriced just because I would never buy it.

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
boo yea

To be honest, this sounds more like a troll...

But i think its best never to compare an imac directly with normal desktops. rather compare it with other all in one PCs, and when you do it comes out rather favorably in terms of specs and price

lol or even better compare it with the dell all in one
even tho it has the same price it comes with a
1)crappy old cpu which is slower than the cpu in the slowest imac you can get lololol
2)20" screen, seriously 20" is the best they can deliver
3)same graphics as in the bottom of the line imac
4) vista, seriously this is like the biggest flaw

good things in the dell xps one

1)blu ray player, which sucks cause the screen is 20" and only displays 1650x1050 which is not high def.

is it worth it
HELL NO!!!!!!!!
isnt it good to finally do a fair comparison to the imac :):):)

andrewline6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
thanks for your input everyone. i appreciate it. it gave me something to think about. dont know anything about motherboards and that stuff tho. that was confusing. but i'll probs get the mac mainly for the screen. anyone know how exactly how the wireless mouse and keyboard work? do you hav to sync them everytime you turn on the computer? do they hav batteries or wat? im new to this sorry. probably sounds stupid.
also funny to read about the mac fight.

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
thanks for your input everyone. i appreciate it. it gave me something to think about. dont know anything about motherboards and that stuff tho. that was confusing. but i'll probs get the mac mainly for the screen. anyone know how exactly how the wireless mouse and keyboard work? do you hav to sync them everytime you turn on the computer? do they hav batteries or wat? im new to this sorry. probably sounds stupid.

dont worry
i was a noob once lol jokes i was never a noob
the keyboard and mouse has batteries and they both last about 6 to 9 months, so you get lots of use out before you have to replace the batteries
the imac automatically searches for the keyboard and mouse every-time you turn it on.
so you just have a 3 sec wait for the mac and mouse to pair.
but the wireless keyboard and mouse are so worth it
easier to use plus it looooooks so much better not having any cables on your table between you keyboard/mouse to your mac

andrewline6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
dont worry
i was a noob once lol jokes i was never a noob
the keyboard and mouse has batteries and they both last about 6 to 9 months, so you get lots of use out before you have to replace the batteries
the imac automatically searches for the keyboard and mouse every-time you turn it on.
so you just have a 3 sec wait for the mac and mouse to pair.
but the wireless keyboard and mouse are so worth it
easier to use plus it looooooks so much better not having any cables on your table between you keyboard/mouse to your mac

thanks mate.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

They'll have batteries. There's a bluetooth transmitter/receiver built into the iMac (just been using it to put music on my phone myself :p), so you only have to pair the keyboard and mouse with the computer once, you won't have to do it every time you turn it on.

EDIT: Haha, nevermind, it's already been answered, I should read a lot more carefully :p

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
1) Better build quality
2) All in one design
4) Mac os x
5) Lasts longer

1. Agreed
2. Most people will like it
3. Aluminium does look more professional than plastic but plastic is more durable than aluminium. I am comparing the aluminium iMacs to plastic iMacs here.
4. Agreed
5. Depends on how the user treats his/her computer.
6. Agreed
7. Nice
8. Very nice
9. Agreed and very nice
10. It's not just a Mac, it's a multi-platform computer. You can run all the operating systems on it. ;)

3lutz3toe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
While I love the Macs and don't have a huge problem w/ paying for what really works.
But I wouldn't go so far by comparing to buying jeans!

You would cringe if you knew how much those so called designers jeans are marked up! Yes, of course they are much better than ones from Walmart.

Retailing clothing markup is way alot more than computers markup!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Some folks have no problem buying a pair of Jeans at Walmart. Others would not get caught dead in the place. They would prefer to shop at a far more expensive store in the Mall. Why? Is the fit of the jeans superior? Do they last longer? Are they cut in a unique way that makes them look better? Why do they cost several times over what the Walmart jeans cost? Do they feel catered to in the Mall?

I think that is not the right comparison. There is a lot of money paid by people for brand names only and for having the right labels, and a lot of it is wasted. In the case of an iMac, although you spend more compared to a cheap PC (but the iMac is still cheaper than comparable all-in-one PCs from Dell or Gateway), you end up saving money in the long run.

It starts with saving money for utility software like virus scanner, disk defragmenter and so on. Then the iMac comes with the iLife software, which unlike most PC software actually lets you use your computer. Anyone who is into programming gets the complete XCode development system; the same software that is used by Apple itself to create MacOS X. You can even write software for the iPhone.

You will safe time and money by having a lot less software problems. Millions of PCs slow down to a crawl because they are infected by malware. When that happens, people buy a new computer or spend good money on removing the malware. Doesn't happen with a Macintosh. In every single test, Macs come always out on top in build quality and customer satisfaction (doesn't keep the moaners of MacRumors though :D ) Macs last longer than any PC (I once was told that you must be "filthy rich or crazy" if you think of replacing a Mac as early as after three years), and they have real resale value. Many people regularly sell their Macs after two or three years and spend effectively a lot less than people buying PCs.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
I think that is not the right comparison.

My point was that people will pay for style over utility. Jeans will last a very long time no matter what brand. It's all about style.

In the case of an iMac, although you spend more compared to a cheap PC (but the iMac is still cheaper than comparable all-in-one PCs from Dell or Gateway), you end up saving money in the long run.

It starts with saving money for utility software like virus scanner, disk defragmenter and so on.

AVG Anti virus (and others) is free and constantly updated for the latest bugs. All versions of Windows come with a disk defragmenter. I might use it once in 6 months to a year. There are a number of free spyware utlities that can do that job and most browsers come with popup blockers.

Then the iMac comes with the iLife software, which unlike most PC software actually lets you use your computer. Anyone who is into programming gets the complete XCode development system; the same software that is used by Apple itself to create MacOS X. You can even write software for the iPhone.

iLife consists of a web site app (iWeb), a DVD creating utility (iDVD), a photo management app (iPhoto), a movie editor (iMovie) and a music creating program (GarageBand).

iWeb - On a PC if you want to design web pages you have to buy a web page design app. On a Mac you get a free tool. The problem is that iWeb sucks air as a web code generator. The pages it produces are the largest and slowest I have encountered. I know this because I used the tool until recently when I paid $79 to get something for my Mac that does a decent job creating efficient code.

iDVD - Windows comes with a DVD creation utility that is just as good as iDVD in my opinion.

iPhoto - Wins no prizes for speed, ease of use or resources used. For Windows you can use photo gallery or the excellent free app Picasa.

iMovie - Windows comes with Movie maker. Does the same job and just as well.

Garageband - Ya got me there, but since most people are not musicians the utility of that app to the majority of people is questionable at best.

You will safe time and money by having a lot less software problems. Millions of PCs slow down to a crawl because they are infected by malware. When that happens, people buy a new computer or spend good money on removing the malware.

Doesn't happen with a Macintosh. In every single test, Macs come always out on top in build quality and customer satisfaction (doesn't keep the moaners of MacRumors though :D ) Macs last longer than any PC (I once was told that you must be "filthy rich or crazy" if you think of replacing a Mac as early as after three years), and they have real resale value. Many people regularly sell their Macs after two or three years and spend effectively a lot less than people buying PCs.

I used my Sony Vaio laptop for 4 years without reinstalling windows, having a virus, malware or any slow down in performance. It was kept in the trunk of my car year round and was used for at least 3 hours a day every day except for weekends. It went from freezing cold to scorching hot in the trunk. It never gave me a problem except for the 3.5" floppy drive failed (imagine that after being in a trunk all the time when not in use!). I gave that laptop to my son for use in college and he uses it all the time without issues. I now use a Dell laptop for my job. I got the Dell because my company gave it to me and its HDD is twice the size of the Sony. Been using it for over a year without any issues.

I have a 80386/16Mhz laptop in my closet that I bought many many years ago (think it was 1990 or 91) that came with Windows 3.0 installed. It still works and sits next to my Mac se/30 and collection of old Apple laptops. I threw away a couple of Dells from the mid 90's because I needed the space, not because they did not work.

As far as resale goes, you are correct Mac's resell for high prices. Something to consider is that the number of used Mac's on the market for sale has some bearing on the prices. The market is flooded with inexpensive new PC's, so it drives the resale price lower.

And before ya'll pummel me as a PC wanker type of guy, I am a devout Mac user and owner. I proudly display the white Apple sticker on my rear window above my center brake light. I'm just pointing out errors as I see them :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.