Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Micro Center retail stores are once again offering the entry-level iMac Pro for $3,999, an impressive discount of $1,000 off of the regular $4,999 price tag for the newly released machine.

The same deal was offered earlier in the month, and iMac Pro models available at Micro Center stores were snapped up quickly. Based on the online stock checking tool, most Micro Center locations have at least one iMac Pro in stock, with some, such as the Westmont Micro Center in Illinois, listing 10+ machines available for purchase.

imacprodiscount.jpg

The $1,000 discount on the iMac Pro is for Micro Center retail stores only, with the $3,999 iMac Pro not available from the Micro Center website.

Apple's base configuration 27-inch 5K iMac Pro, which Micro Center is discounting, comes equipped with a 3.2GHz 8-core Intel Xeon W processor, Thunderbolt 3 support, 32GB ECC 2,666MHz RAM, a 1TB SSD, and a Radeon Pro Vega 56 graphics card with 8GB HMB2 memory.

imac-pro-after-effects.jpg

No other retailer is offering the iMac Pro at such a significant discount at this time. Micro Center is limiting purchases to one per household, and available supply could go quick.

Micro Center stores are located primarily in the midwest and south, with 25 stores nationwide.

Article Link: iMac Pro Again Available for $3,999 From Micro Center Stores

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Just look at how much press they're getting for doing this. Get Apple to provide some discounted machines in the lowest end option which align closest to the home user and this will get them moving. Great way to get people to consider the higher options too.

Reactions: aaronhead14

davea11ee

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
Houston, TX
I asked a Micro Center district manager why they mark their Apple gear down so low when Apple doesn't give them a price break to do so. His response was that it is worth it to them to get people in their Micro Center Apple Store, that they mark it all down. Taking $1000 off the price seems like a high price to win a customer. Oh well, benefits the consumer :)

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
For those people, like me, who bought it for $4300 from them, Micro Center has "price protection" and will refund the $300 if still in the 15 day return window. Just go the store where you bought it with the original receipt and they will issue a refund for the difference. I liked it at $4300, like it even better at $4000.

helvetica237

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
I asked a Micro Center district manager why they mark their Apple gear down so low when Apple doesn't give them a price break to do so. His response was that it is worth it to them to get people in their Micro Center Apple Store, that they mark it all down. Taking $1000 off the price seems like a high price to win a customer. Oh well, benefits the consumer :)

I purchased my ipad pro at best buy even though I get a 10% discount at the apple store next to my work (the Grove). The problem is, that store is a tourist trap and actually shopping there is a nightmare. Every time, I tried to test the ipad pro, there was kids playing on them. Parent were literally using the ipads as toys to keep their kids busy while they wait 30-60 minutes to talk to someone. I get PTSD just thinking about going into that store. ANYWAY> my point is. The guy at best buy gave me a 10% discount on the cheapest price he could find online and somehow found them on sale at some random site. I ended up paying $300 less than if I went to the apple store. I had the same feeling that best buy was doing anything it could to put and apple sold sign up.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Reduce the price all you want, I'm not buying it.

I'm going to get the 3.0GHz 21.5" iMac. I refuse to buy any computer that doesn't still have a 5400 rpm hard drive in 2018.

Umm, did you look at the specs? It has a 1TB solid state drive, which is *better* than any 5400RPM hard drive by an order of magnitude speed-wise.
[doublepost=1517257748][/doublepost]

The other theory is that Apple is having trouble moving these so they're giving incentives to vendors to get them selling.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Advert diguised as discount

Very clever but ultimately meaningless considering stock availability.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

Figure the deal gets people in the door and then they sell them on another $500+ in accessories and other stuff. The discount they're giving is a small price to pay for all the advertising they're getting out of this deal.

When people feel like they've "saved" $1000, they're FAR more likely to be willing to spend that $1000 they "saved" on additional purchases. That means it's even easier to get them to buy that printer, cables, desk chair, peripheral, service plan, and other items along with the computer. Each of those items carry with it a far higher profit margin than the iMac Pro, so in the end Micro Center comes out on top in this deal.
[doublepost=1517260111][/doublepost]
The other theory is that Apple is having trouble moving these so they're giving incentives to vendors to get them selling.

If that was the case, they'd be discounting them with ever reseller and themselves. They wouldn't let a single reseller cut into the sales of themselves and every other retailer out there. That'd be very bad for business and really stress relationships between Apple and other retailers.

This discount is only on the very lowest spec model. You'd see it across the lineup if they were looking to spur sales of the iMac Pro.

Reactions: smirking

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Lots of money to put into expensive enterprise-grade CPUs, just in time to have the Meltdown vulnerability and install the associated software hacks that tank performance by up to 30%* to solve it.

* depending on what you run; this number was from the Postgres mailing list
[doublepost=1517261186][/doublepost]
Reduce the price all you want, I'm not buying it.

I'm going to get the 3.0GHz 21.5" iMac. I refuse to buy any computer that doesn't still have a 5400 rpm hard drive in 2018.
Lol, I didn't know they still did this. HDD I can maybe understand (cheap and big capacity), if Fusion drives really cost that much more. But why the heck are they 5400 RPM? $5 price difference?

Last edited:

MrBat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2017
Twice the cores, 50 percent more graphics power? What's not to love?

Not sure... Our Art dept does not seem like it's going to get any of these, ever. We have around a few iMacs 27" 5K though, but slowly but surely, they are being phased out for Windows Workstations that our in-house IT department can service anytime.

Sure, the Art guys prefer Macs... but these bois are expensive and un-serviceable by our IT staff. Funnily enough, we have no trashcan Mac Pro around.

Reactions: bhodinut

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Umm, did you look at the specs? It has a 1TB solid state drive, which is *better* than any 5400RPM hard drive by an order of magnitude speed-wise.
[doublepost=1517257748][/doublepost]

He...he was kidding, dude.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.