Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
The Return to Respectability.

something for kids to drool over at the campus bookstore, like I remember doing back in the 90's... :)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I am serious.

I have the current Mac Pro and I never use it anymore. It's gathering dust while my iPad Pro devices help me get all my important work done.

The future Steve Jobs spoke of has finally arrived.

Then you misinterpreted his comment. Steve Jobs likened it to trucks and cars. Very few people use a truck but there will always be a need for them. This is the figurative truck.

It's incredibly short sighted to think that because you can't justify the usage, that means nobody else can.

There are people whose workflow requires this hardware power and a full-blooded mouse & keyboard OS with practically limitless desktop applications.

lostczech

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2009
I am serious.

I have the current Mac Pro and I never use it anymore. It's gathering dust while my iPad Pro devices help me get all my important work done.

Genuinely curious, what "important work" do you do that can be done on an iPad? More over, whatever that is, why did you have a Mac Pro then? It must have been complete overkill if you can accomplish the same task on an iPad..

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I don't know how much this has been discussed already but I have to say that the space gray finish is insanely nice. Not nice enough to buy a computer that is well beyond my needs, but still incredibly nice.

What are the chances that Apple will eventually offer the regular iMac in space gray or other colors? Probably not much, right? I mean, this clearly is a nice way to differentiate the two categories.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I am serious.

According to HPC journals they're seeing better than linear scaling performance in a cluster environment. Nearly 3x performance by just doubling the number of nodes and only limited by thunderbolt interconnect.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Genuinely curious, what "important work" do you do that can be done on an iPad? More over, whatever that is, why did you have a Mac Pro then? It must have been complete overkill if you can accomplish the same task on an iPad..

Even for my modest uses, and even as damned good as the iPad Pro is (and holy crap it's a damned good tablet) I certainly couldn't use it with LPX in tandem with loads of plugins, audio in & MIDI plugged in simultaneously, with mic splitters, monitors, or external DAC... and that's again, pretty modest usage.

I just about get my with my 15" 2012, and though of course it could be quicker, I get by. Yet that's not even touching some of the "Pro" use people do around here.

TL;DR: yeah, just amazed at that comment about an iPad Pro being an apt replacement for a Mac Pro.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I am not a mechanical engineer, but I would hope that the large mass of metal that the iMac has can be used effectively as a heat sink and allow this all to work. A CAD / Gaming class iMac would be pretty cool.

Watch the WWDC, they had to remake the iMac's thermal design.

No doubt about it, fellas. 'Tis just a joke. I don't doubt that Apple has pored over this issue already (@Zirel -- I watched WWDC; that new thermal design is awesome!). @Bigsk8r, I agree. I wonder if Apple could just find a way to dissipate the heat evenly over the entire back of the iMac? I mean, that is a LOT of surface area through which to dissipate heat.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
I am serious.

Yes, try using Davinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro, XCode or CAD on an iPad Pro. The fact that you think an iPad Pro is a proper replacement for this iMac Pro speaks far more about you than the products.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
If you have server grade processors and ECC RAM, I wonder exactly how much extra reliability you get? I would imagine the improvements would be so small they are difficult to measure, yet the cost more than doubles. For video editors and photographers, a large proportion of pro Mac hardware customers, I wonder how many really feel they need these things? Perhaps $5K isn't significant to a lot of businesses, so they feel it is worth the marginal improvements they bring. As a photography enthusiast, I wish this thing had an i9 and regular RAM. Or even the new 8 core AMD chip. I am dreaming I know, but it would be nice to be able to buy an insanely powerful Mac for a realistic price.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I am not a mechanical engineer, but I would hope that the large mass of metal that the iMac has can be used effectively as a heat sink and allow this all to work. A CAD / Gaming class iMac would be pretty cool.

I'm very curious how they're managing to cool this beast. one of the problems I've seen reported about the current iMac's running i7's, is that they do thermal throttle quite a bit when under consistent load.

the iMac pro is going to put out a significant amount more heat. So the cooling system for 2017 iMac Pro's (and even maybe iMac) must have received a significant cooling upgrade. Wondering, if thats the case, could the i7-7700k get a decent overclock with the new cooling...

Reactions: Ursadorable

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

I edit some audio (podcasts) and videos, complex spreadsheets, building out presentations, writing, some social media. I'm definitely not your average user who surfs the web and checks a few emails.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Yes, try using Davinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro, XCode or CAD on an iPad Pro. The fact that you think an iPad Pro is a proper replacement for this iMac Pro speaks far more about you than the products.

I think for 99% of people an iPad Pro is the perfect professional tool. But admittedly yes, some people may still need the power of a true desktop for the time being as new apps arrive - but that number dependent on old computers reduces every day.
[doublepost=1498166245][/doublepost]
I'm sure your 4k live editing on the go is going smoothly on the Pro.

It is possible yes.
[doublepost=1498166277][/doublepost]
Even for my modest uses, and even as damned good as the iPad Pro is (and holy crap it's a damned good tablet) I certainly couldn't use it with LPX in tandem with loads of plugins, audio in & MIDI plugged in simultaneously, with mic splitters, monitors, or external DAC... and that's again, pretty modest usage.

I just about get my with my 15" 2012, and though of course it could be quicker, I get by. Yet that's not even touching some of the "Pro" use people do around here.

TL;DR: yeah, just amazed at that comment about an iPad Pro being an apt replacement for a Mac Pro.

It isn't an apt replacement for everyone yet, probably. But it is getting there at a rapid pace.

lostczech

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2009
I edit some audio (podcasts) and videos, complex spreadsheets, building out presentations, writing, some social media. I'm definitely not your average user who surfs the web and checks a few emails.

Fair enough, though based on your workload, you could have just had a Mac Mini.

so... if your Mac Pro is collecting dust, can I have it? ;)

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
This really isn't news, Purley is about the only option that made any sense all along based upon the info that Apple had released.

Reactions: Derived
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.