iMac Pro Teardown Highlights Modular RAM, CPU and SSD Along With Redesigned Internals

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 2, 2018.

1. AxiomaticRubric, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

AxiomaticRubric macrumors 6502

AxiomaticRubric

This is the bean counter design. Its function is to increase Apple's revenue by promoting hardware replacement, as opposed to hardware upgrades.

2. cmaier macrumors G4

For some customers, sealed design is a feature. I know my employer doesn’t want me tinkering with the components in the machine they give me.

3. VictorTango777, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

This is what happens when business and politics gets in the way of engineering. Were Apple hardware engineers specifically told to make the iMac so that accessing the most basic components requires major surgery and total disassembly? The serviceability in all recent iMacs is completely reversed from the first iMac G5 (without camera).

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G5+20-Inch+Model+A1076+RAM+Replacement/872

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G5+20-Inch+Model+A1076+Hard+Drive+Replacement/873

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G5+20-Inch+Model+A1076+Power+Supply+Replacement/877
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2018 ---
    Weak argument. The G3, G4, G5, and Mac Pro towers had lockable side panels. Installing a Kensington lock on original iMac G5 prevented the back cover from being removed. And it prevented the computer from walking away.

4. cmaier macrumors G4

For my employer, this saves the hassle of having to get 14,000 Kensington locks and manage their keys.

5. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

Another weak argument. If your company really has such a large number of computers, the lock manufacturers can provide locks that use the same master key, or combo locks that let IT management set the combination. And unless you actually work in that company's IT department and are responsible for repairs, you have no business speaking for them.

6. cmaier macrumors G4

A master lock is a terrible idea. One of those goes walking and you are screwed.

7. dutchyonabike macrumors newbie

I gave up waiting for a new Mac Pro and jumped to a 16core Threadripper, using Premiere Pro. Glad I did, as High Sierra has been a nightmare on my old Mac Pro. I really love my PC, words I NEVER thought I'd say.

8. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

On the contrary the post is merely highlighting how un-upgradeable Macs have become. A prime example being the iMac pre Slimline design. A 21.5" iMac from 2011 could be cracked open and the user could tweak away with ease as the internals are mostly screwed together. Moved forward a year to a 21.5" iMac from 2012 with the introduction of the Slimline design and the iMac needs to be completely dismantled just to upgrade the RAM.

9. dutchyonabike macrumors newbie

I used FCP 7 from day one, then jumped to Premiere Pro after Apple stopped selling FCP7. Now with Adobe CC I no reason to stay on Mac for my work. I jumped to PC and will likely stay here for many years to come.

10. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

You are really embarrassing yourself with your reaching. One can lock a serviceable computer. But one cannot make an unserviceable computer suddenly serviceable.

11. cmaier macrumors G4

My employer doesn’t service anything. When the machine breaks they swap in an identical one and send the broken machine off for service. Your solution is fifteen thousand keys (and you can’t explain why a master key isn’t a terrible insecure idea).

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Jealous?

13. dantroline, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

dantroline macrumors regular

dantroline

Apple's design philosophy used to come from an engineering and ergonomics perspective. Now it comes from an accounting and marketing perspective. Deep down we all know, Apple is losing its edge and giving the competition free kick after free kick.

It's just not a compelling device.

14. macguru9999 macrumors newbie

I just had to replace the HD in a mac mini late 2014 with a samsung evo ssd. All went fine but i am still angry about the effort required to upgrade this totally impractical design. Now we have another imac pro which requires a strip down to add ram. Admittedly it sounds great speedwise but I despair about the next mac pro design and wonder if it really will be upgradeable.. I mean all you really need is a squatter version of the old cheesegrater tower with a space grey paint job. A dozen or so xeon cores on a current chipset mobo and space for multiple blade ssds and some conventional drives and regular graphic cards such as nvidia titan, radeon vega etc, and a big tough power supply to suit !

15. dewasinting macrumors newbie

No, because it does not have batteries.

Yes, if your iMac Pro detects that you don't paste the Apple logo sticker on your car.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2018 ---
    No one buys 14,000 Macs all at once

16. Michael Scrip, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Everything you asked for is available from companies who are not named Apple... :p

So if MacOS isn't a requirement... there are plenty of companies who will sell you powerful workstations in all shapes and sizes. And they'll let you upgrade them too!

What we're seeing from Apple demonstrates the danger of a single-vendor platform. If Apple doesn't offer what you want... you're stuck. And we end up with threads like "Waiting for ______" here on MacRumors. :)

I realize Windows isn't as "elegant" as MacOS... and there might be little niggles here and there by comparison...

But you can get the hardware you want.

17. dazzer21-2 macrumors regular

At last. This, people. THIS!!

18. femike macrumors regular

I would prefer if this same cooling design and improved speakers were in the standard iMac range, but the drawback would be no ram door.
    Anyway, I'm not a fan of this iMac design due to thermals and lack of access doors for ram and ssd and a few other things.

19. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

20. dilbert99 macrumors 68000

Form over function, I guess Jony can't design a system that allows users to change the ram themselves. Maybe they need a better designer?

21. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Yes, but not so much with computers and Apple know this all too well. Wait until the iCar is released and they make it so that there is now flap to fill it with gas, see how well that goes down.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    That is exactly what makes him an average designer in my opinion. Cars wouldn't look like they did if they never had to meet crash regulations.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    Then they can put proprietary bolts on it.

22. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

I don't get it, back in the 80s and 90s it was profitable to build computers and sell them and they will be upgradable. Now when computers are everywhere you have to make them absolutely difficult to upgrade and fix so it would push you to buy a new computer in few years.

23. barmann macrumors 6502a

For some people , erectile dysfunction is a feature .
    There, I posted made-up nonsense on the internet , let's discuss !

24. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Except his post isn’t made-up nonsense. My employer doesn’t allow tinkering with work computers either due to regulations around the data being analyzed. Hell, the only way to get software installed is through encrypted package delivery so only software dual-authorized can be pushed to a computer.

25. filmak macrumors 65816

Yes, when its new version will be out later... :)

(Oh! By the way, it's already throttled...)