Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwined

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2017
This juxtaposition of the upgradeability of the two iMac models (iMac Pro vs. iMac) is just hilarious. Apple has things so backward now that they just don't even see what is wrong with that picture. :D :|

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
No it’s not SO-DIMM but even third party RAM is $400 for the 32GB sticks. So $1600 third party or $2,400 from Apple. Most corporate/ enterprise/ business users will prefer Apple in any case. Smaller shops might prefer to save the money and have some local repair shop put it in but most of the target market for iMac Pro will simply order what they need from Apple.

How do you know it’s not SO-DIMM? I thought I remember seeing that in iMac 5K tear downs. Is the Pro different?

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
How do you know it’s not SO-DIMM? I thought I remember seeing that in iMac 5K tear downs. Is the Pro different?

It's SODIMM in the regular iMacs, has been since the first Intel iMac. But this thing may be different.

I just checked, the service guide isn't up yet, and I haven't found a teardown at the usual locations either, so I don't know what's going to be in it. There haven't historically been ECC SODIMMs, so it's possible that it's full size DIMMs.

I can say that I strongly suspect it's going to be kind of a pain to do, much like the 21.5" iMac RAM upgrades have been. If you're not familiar with that procedure, on the ones with no external memory slot that don't have soldered RAM, upgrading requires removing the logic board, the RAM is on the back side. To remove the logic board, you have to cut off the screen (yes, cut - and clean off the old adhesive, and put new adhesive strips on to put it back together) and remove the power supply and hard drive.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Personally if something that’s internal can only be upgraded by making it external I don’t deem that an upgrade. An add on sure but not an upgrade as you aren’t replacing the original parts, you simply stop using them and instead move a new one externally.
[doublepost=1513368539][/doublepost]
I don’t deny there are some benefits. I just mean that in a professional environment when you have clients and deadlines breathing down your neck you want to know your system will work perfectly or have an easy outlet to get it fixed. Most post houses don’t build their own machines for that exact reason: they are then in charge of them. If I build my machine and something goes wrong I need to spend my time troubleshooting it and getting it working again. If I buy my machine pre-built it’s on the company to fix it in a timely manner. That is an (albeit expensive) important detail for professionals.

Yes indeed.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
its 2666MHz DDR4 so I imagine that's part of why its pricey.
It’s ECC too. I don’t think we know if it’s RDIMM or LRDIMM yet, but Crucial’s prices are about $1,650 or $1,950 respectively for 4 x32GB kits, if you want to do the upgrade yourself. It’s probably RDIMM, so you could potentially save something like $600-700 if you had a shop do the upgrade.

Most companies of any size would likely just order from Apple though. They want a single point of contact/responsibility. At $169 for 3 years AppleCare is a no-brainer. Apple may refuse to work on your machine if you’ve got third party RAM installed. It doesn’t void the warranty, but you might have to put the original RAM back in before they’ll work on it.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
The whole design of this thing is a show-off of why the current Apple is against the traditional Mac Pro concept. The current Apple wants to be in control of your choices and moves. The traditional Mac Pro put you in control, and Apple cannot permit that anymore. The only hope for the promised “modular Mac Pro” is that this weird thing fails like the cylinder. And still... what will the current Apple mean by “modular”?
It likely won't fail... They've already started the catering to influencers game. People with way too much spare money to care will get it because it looks nice and is beefy and "the latest".

Even if they missed sales to the pro crowd they'd still be able to report good sales.

That's the sad part of a company becoming iconic and being fullyaware and extorting of that fact: they get away with murder and laziness.

Glassed Silver:ios

vtrautia

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2015
People (who aren't in the market for this machine) will still complain that "pros" can't open it up themselves to upgrade the internals. Because all "pros" are techie people who open up their machines.

I agree with that not all "pros" are not techies that open up their machines. But now the "pros" that are techies can't upgrade they ram. Is that like big middle finger to all techie "pros" ?

jujufreeze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2016
My guess is, it's very tight quarters, and with improper installation the incredible performance (from the reviews) of a whisper-quiet fan may have something to do with it. In other words, I don't know. It's not normal RAM, too. Not easily available on the consumer market, so what you find may be expensive even when you're buying it for your Intel W workstation.

It's Tim Cook RAM.

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
I agree with that not all "pros" are not techies that open up their machines. But now the "pros" that are techies can't upgrade they ram. Is that like big middle finger to all techie "pros" ?

Not really to me. Reason being is because the regular 27" iMac is used by many pros. And you can add RAM to that. iMac Pro is a step above that and a step below the new Mac Pro. It's not like we've had iMac Pro all this time and Apple changed the expansion options. So if the regular iMac has been meeting your workflow, you still have that. And if you need more power and more expandability, then the new Mac Pro will be that, I assume. iMac Pro sits between. To me, it's the MacBook Pro of the desktop lineup. And I know plenty of pros that use them as their only computer.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
The whole design of this thing is a show-off of why the current what will the current Apple mean by “modular”?

"modular" means sell your kidneys for a overpriced base machine to which you can add more stuff later.
Mac OS and iOS are very expensive (but Windows is a nightmare...)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
It's SODIMM in the regular iMacs, has been since the first Intel iMac. But this thing may be different.

I just checked, the service guide isn't up yet, and I haven't found a teardown at the usual locations either, so I don't know what's going to be in it. There haven't historically been ECC SODIMMs, so it's possible that it's full size DIMMs.

I can say that I strongly suspect it's going to be kind of a pain to do, much like the 21.5" iMac RAM upgrades have been. If you're not familiar with that procedure, on the ones with no external memory slot that don't have soldered RAM, upgrading requires removing the logic board, the RAM is on the back side. To remove the logic board, you have to cut off the screen (yes, cut - and clean off the old adhesive, and put new adhesive strips on to put it back together) and remove the power supply and hard drive.

Expect anything... Apple can do whatever they like to make it "non-standard"

Gives more of that "Well, now you really must come back in the store" attitude..

My guess, if Apple does start doing that, even iFixit will have a job pulling things apart

halluxsinister

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2017

Standard 27-inch iMacs have a small hatch in the back that allows the RAM in the machine to be upgraded after purchase, but the iMac Pro does not have that feature.

There is no rear hatch because the RAM in the iMac Pro is not user upgradeable following purchase, but there's good news -- an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider is able to open up the iMac Pro and swap out the RAM.

imacproram-800x259.jpg

iMore's Rene Ritchie spoke to Apple and learned that any service center is able to upgrade the RAM on an iMac Pro following purchase.

At Apple Stores, iMac Pro users will likely only be able to upgrade to Apple-provided RAM, but third-party service providers will be able to offer non-Apple RAM and might even allow users to bring in their own RAM. Policy will undoubtedly vary by location, however.

The entry-level $4,999 iMac Pro ships with 32GB of 2666MHz ECC RAM, but up to 128GB RAM is supported. Apple charges $800 to upgrade to 64GB RAM and $2,400 to upgrade to 128GB RAM. Upgrading RAM after purchase in eligible machines is often more affordable than purchasing Apple's RAM upgrades at checkout.

There are no post-purchase options for upgrading the SSD, processor, or graphics card in the iMac Pro.

Apple began allowing customers to purchase the iMac Pro this morning. 8 and 10-core machines will begin shipping out this week, while 14 and 18-core options won't be available to ship out for 6 to 8 weeks. While the entry-level iMac Pro is priced at $4,999, there are a number of upgrades available. A maxed out 18-core machine with 4TB of storage and a Radeon Pro Vega 64 is priced at $13,199.

Article Link: iMac Pro's RAM Can Only Be Upgraded by Apple or Authorized Service Provider
Glad they're working on an update to the now several-years-out-of-date Mac Mini that they claim is an important part of their strategy, and which they're going to quietly discontinue then immediately declare obsolete, if they haven't already done so, and not trivial, frivolous things like headphones and 'smart' speakers... Oh, wait, no. This story has nothing to do with the Mac Mini.

But then again, neither does Apple, anymore.

One of these days, they're going to announce the next iMac will have a touch-screen interface, and cost $10,000 for a base-model, and the first reviewers will notice with chagrin that it's just a 27" iPad bolted to a "chin" stand, and no home button, running iOS 12, or perhaps 13, and that it won't allow loading of apps from anywhere but the Beats StŌr, (which is what they'll rename the App Store by then,) but it will have always-on (even if you try to turn it off) Siri, which will sound EXACTLY like a human being but be unable to understand a thing you say, and facial recognition unlock that Apple will insist is the most secure thing EVER, but which people will discover can be unlocked easily by anyone, by speaking the magic words "root, no password".

People will slavishly line-up around the block to buy them, and then just stare blankly at them without turning them on, which they won't be able to, because they don't come with the new iThunder power adapter, which is due out a few weeks later. Then you'll see stories about how they're backordered past next Christmas. Then iFixIt will post a tear-down revealing that there's actually nothing inside, Apple's just been selling mock-ups, and people will still buy them, because Apple.
[doublepost=1513548468][/doublepost]
I don't get it; what's the reason behind this change? Surely they should make a Pro machine MORE upgradeable, not less.
You seem to be assuming Apple gives a rats ass about anything but maximizing profits. LOL

Reactions: Apple Fritter

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
as of today, Apple's policy is to only replace parts with like parts if they're broken. this has historically even been true for ram. while an aasp could certainly upgrade the ram, i doubt ram will be upgradable by Apple.

for it to be upgradable all the geniuses would be notified via internal means that it's possible (we haven't yet). additionally, there would have to be a systematic change in how "repairs" are checked in because right now there's not even a way to check in a ram upgrade (outside of when the machine is first purchased at the store).

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
And almost no one cares except the vocal minority.

Literally, who cares.
Not scientific by any means but the top threads on this story are all people expressing that they don't like this change and yours has about 2 other people who seem to think everything is just fine as you do. Oh, on a Mac enthusiast site. Just saying.

Last edited:

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Not scientific by any means but the top threads on this story are all people expressing that they don't like this change and yours has about 2 other people who seem to think everything is just fine as you do. Oh, on a Mac enthusiast site. Just saying.
Of course a thread designed to complain about it will attract complainers. My point is that Mac users aren't PC users in general. Customization and modding your own gear is left to the PC guys in general.

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
Of course a thread designed to complain about it will attract complainers. My point is that Mac users aren't PC users in general. Customization and modding your own gear is left to the PC guys in general.

Adding more resources is far from "customization" or "modding".

Do you know the easiest way to domesticate a group of wild animals? You don't just run up and try to take them all; You just start slowly building a fence bit by bit a good distance from them while appearing to have no interest. Then over time you divide the fence around them into smaller and smaller areas. Then by the time they are fenced into a tightly cordoned area they are so used to being there that they don't even take it as out of the ordinary.

But then again I am sure having products with fewer options and higher price tags are obviously more desirable. What do I know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.