iMac rams

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Babba, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Babba macrumors member

So i decided to buy a 2.8 imac..instead of 3.06..
    I was thinking about upgrading rams to 4 gigs...was wondering, can i use PC rams(any kind) to imac ? or i need to buy from applestore? cause pc rams are cheap and mac rams are so expensive :)..

2. Hates macrumors regular

No, iMacs don't use regular PC ram. Buy it from Crucial, you'll save so much.

3. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

ram not rams. its like deer and deer, you don't say deers. Sorry :rolleyes:

4. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I don't know what you'd describe 'regular PC RAM as', but they do take regular laptop RAM.

You need to buy a DDR-II 5300 667Mhz 200pin SO-DIMM.

Just type 'iMac sodimm' into Google.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There is no such thing as "pc rams". There are different kinds of RAM; the one you need is not specific to Macs, but you need the right kind. Which kind you need depends on exactly which computer you are using.

If you go to www.crucial.com, they have a webpage where you start by choosing manufacturer (apple), which computer (iMac), which iMac (pick the 2.8 GHz), and they will get you the right memory for your computer at reasonable prices.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Answers to this and many other common questions can be found under the Guides tab at the top of the window.

Hardware: MR Guide to Buying RAM
    Hardware: MR Guide to Understanding Intel Mac RAM

Actually if it is a new iMac, Babba will need 800 MHz RAM... which is why buying from a Mac-knowledgeable dealer who will make sure you get the correct type of RAM,, provide a lifetime warranty, and offer a no-cost return for refund or replacement if it doesn't work.