imac resale value help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rabe9987, Feb 1, 2012.

1. rabe9987 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I'm ready to go mac now and I'm not able to wait for the next Imac refresh. I'm looking at buying a Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 + 256g ssd which is $2,289.00 on the canadian apple store.

I'd like to have some estimates of the resale value this computer will have after the new imac is out.

Secondly, I'm think a i5 might be easier to sell because of it's lower price.

Any opinion?

Thank you,

2. philipma1957, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

you are wasting money if you buy it. IMO.

why?

it has an internal ssd.

internal ssd's are no longer needed in imac's due to thunderbolt. when you go to resell the machine the internal ssd will not have the value it does now. Here is my link to the wave of the future this is the seagate goflex t-bolt adapter.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1317577

also this next link shows why internal ssd's are not needed

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1280118

here is another external ssd

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/ThunderboltSSD.html

buy this instead

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC814LL/A

save more then 600 bucks up front and go for an external ssd solution.

then sell the imac in a year or so and keep the external ssd.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Lol with an external SSD with tbolt you will spend more than $600 after the tbolt cable. Only benefit would be you could move it to a new Mac.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That and any SSD is going to depreciate rapidly. It's a newer technology and it's not quite to the realm of comfortable capacity yet. 512 GB SSDs still cost quite a lot. I think the OP should stop stressing out. If he wants better resale value, buy one without an inflated price for a faster drive. Also who cares about Ivy Bridge imacs? They don't look like a significant gain. If they are a massive upgrade, it will force down the price of the current generation. If they aren't, why swap machines?

5. rabe9987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any opinions on the resale value of this computer?

6. philipma1957, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

philipma1957

bad a year from now 2289 will drop more then 30 percent to 1602

due to the ssd .

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC814LL/A

this machine is 1659 i think it will drop 20 percent to 1327.

your pick does not have a hdd it has a 256gb ssd that is almost no storage these days.

my pick has a 1tb hdd. my pick is 600 less.

for 600 you can buy a t-bolt cable for 50 a seagate t-bolt adapter for 100 and a 128gb ssd for 160 to 175 that is a total of 325 and have 275 in your pocket.

Other people will do this they will get a fast 128gb ssd and add it on to their imac killing the value of a slow internal 256ssd sata II type.

my method would allow buyers a big saving over your pick. give them more storage 1tb hdd vs none. in fact saying the 2289 machine drops to 1602 is most likely being nice more likely it will be less.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The OP is using the Canadian store so it might have SSD and SATA.

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

exactly

----------

This is also true, I didnt consider it. But how long before you can get your hands on the Seagate GoFlex Tbolt w/ cable? Also if you have an SSD already, you'd save another $150+.

I think Ill keep my OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120GB SSD and do this setup with the iMac refresh.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I guess the point in all of this is that depreciation on technology is relative to how badly it's outpaced aside from the availability of used items. As an example, who would really purchase the original iphone these days?

10. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Why don't you get something like a 2TB HDD, maxed out RAM, and upgrade to 512GB of SSD when it becomes available for a cheaper price? I mean, seriously, SSD prices has been dropping ever since, and there is no doubt that it will drop further.
    If I were you, I wouldn't be getting an SSD now just because I "could" be getting a higher value by the time I sell it (about two to three years?).

I would say your iMac would be worth about $1,600~$1,800 in two to three years, depending on how the next "major" refresh turns out to be.

11. Kendo macrumors 68000

I don't understand why people cannot wait for the next iMac and decide to buy the current model when this generation is clearly at the end of its life cycle?

I've read threads going back to 2009 and every time the person mentions how they don't need whatever future technology is in the next iMac, they immediately have buyer's remorse when the new version comes out 2 weeks or a month later and post about it in another thread.

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Its funny though isn't it? lol.

13. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

How many people truly need 1 TB? I have a 256 GB HDD in my 2007 iMac and I have over 100 GB free..

Magnetic hard drives are huge because they're dirt cheap (sans floods), not because people actually need them. Unless you're storing a huge video library, you'll just be sitting there with a lot of blank space.

Personally I would prefer the convenience and "beauty" of keeping the storage inside the box. An all-in-one with its best drive dangling from a wire is rather ridiculous.

14. philipma1957, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

philipma1957

yes and many iMac users are like you.

However Many iMac users are not like you so he will eliminate plenty of users buying the iMac with the ssd.

Like it or not t-bolt will make add on items commonplace.

BTW the add-on 2.5 inch ssd drive piggy backs out of site for most installs.

While any iMac needing an external 3.5 inch drive due to just an ssd inside will not be able to hide the external.

I have a thread on how to hide an external small form factor hdd.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1180415

go to the last entry and see a 2.5 inch drive hidden with an iMac wall mount. this would work with any setup that the back of the imac is concealed .

So all wall mounted iMac and any iMac on a desk with the back to the wall will fully hide the external ssd for the form factor people of the world. In fact there are piggy back mounts for this I will look for a link

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW851LL/A

link found here is a better link

http://twelvesouth.com/products/backpack/

15. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Nice.. but I think the overlap between people who want an iMac and people willing to take a screwdriver to their computer is rather small. I was hesitant just to put in the Crucial memory..

The backback is adorable, but you need a 3" cable if you're going to preserve the look entirely.

16. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I wonder about this question;

Do iMac users want form above function? The iMac makes a lot of sales. I do wonder how many just want the look .

17. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

They want the latest and greatest yet they don't know it.

18. GyroFX macrumors 6502

even though my iMac is mid 2010, i so want that thunder bolt port now, with the intro of actual TB accessories. We can finally do external SSD with SSD speeds and I assume we can boot off of the external drive as well...