Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those affected by iMac (AL) freezing issues, do you have 3rd party RAM installed?

• Yes

Votes: 50 17.3%
  • No

Votes: 77 26.6%
  • N/A (not freezing, don't have an aluminum iMac)

Votes: 162 56.1%

• Total voters

Bolteh

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I somehow think we're dealing with some jokers here, taking fun in the misery of others.

Let me guess, if it isn't friday, it's monday, if it isn't monday it's wednesday, and so on?

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I somehow think we're dealing with some jokers here, taking fun in the misery of others.

Let me guess, if it isn't friday, it's monday, if it isn't monday it's wednesday, and so on?

This just in from AppleInsider:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._may_be_victims_of_hardware_not_software.html

As I suspected there is now mounting evidence that the iMacs that are experiencing freezing have faulty hardware. I've been thankful ever since I saw the reports of freezing surface that my machine is stable but always said I would send it back to Apple in a second for repair or replacement if it did (or if it DOES from here on).

I'm in Japan though and the AppleCare support seems to be a bit more liberal with such issues than in the US or Europe. They don't generally ask too many questions and just send out a repairman to pick up the machine on their dime when you call with a hardware issue.

Apple may have a humongous global Aluminum iMac recall coming and a whole lot of video cards to replace.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Well, week 44 (W8744XXXXXX) is on it's way from China via FedEx as we speak. Should be here on friday the 9th. I sure hope it's not a bricked freezer. That's a lot of money for a paper weight.

Arrived yesterday (a couple of days early) and so far, not a freezer. It came with Tiger pre-installed and a Leopard drop-in, so I just did an erase and install. This baby screams! I know it is probably too early to tell but so far, so good. :D

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
This just in from AppleInsider:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._may_be_victims_of_hardware_not_software.html

As I suspected there is now mounting evidence that the iMacs that are experiencing freezing have faulty hardware. I've been thankful ever since I saw the reports of freezing surface that my machine is stable but always said I would send it back to Apple in a second for repair or replacement if it did (or if it DOES from here on).

I'm in Japan though and the AppleCare support seems to be a bit more liberal with such issues than in the US or Europe. They don't generally ask too many questions and just send out a repairman to pick up the machine on their dime when you call with a hardware issue.

Apple may have a humongous global Aluminum iMac recall coming and a whole lot of video cards to replace.

Yeah, it's been obvious practically from day one that this problem is hardware-related.
Otherwise, all iMacs would be affected to some degree, since they all run the same software.
The difference between "good" and "bad" iMacs is like night and day.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A

Ya, Isn't it funny only the "newbies" have the inside info...

I call BS.

Yeah, it's been obvious practically from day one that this problem is hardware-related.
Otherwise, all iMacs would be affected to some degree, since they all run the same software.
The difference between "good" and "bad" iMacs is like night and day.

Well, at this point I am hoping your right and it is hardware.

When I get my new system, I want it to run perfectly!

imac2007

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
New Machine

I just got my Imac replaced I called last week to tech support about freezing they said they wanted to look at computer and would send out a new one soon. Well it only took 3 days for the exchange to take place my new one is working great so far. I think anyone with a freezing up mac should be screaming to get it replaced because it is not software that is causing this problem this is my opinion only.This is my very first mac and I think they treated me far better than what I got with Dell.

yodamoppet

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
don't tase me, bro.

Surprised?!?!

No one was more surprised than me that Steve replied.

The fact is, I have two faulty iMacs which freeze. I called apple and they want me to drive them 1 hour to the nearest apple store. Frustrated, I emailed sjobs@apple.com and got a (albeit short) reply, which I posted.

Take it or leave it.

For those un-bitter, seriously wondering folks, this message was after the 1.2.1 fix for Tiger. So, it would be a 1.2.2 (Tiger) or 1.3.1 (Leopard) or higher patch. The wording from Steve was "late this week".

Best,

D

srichart1

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Florida
Newbies

Were are just trying to share what we know. You really shouldn't downplay what anyone has to say based on when they joined this forum. If you knew why your IMac was freezing, you wouldn't be trolling this forum.

One way or the other, I believe Apple will fix the problem. Even if we are all wrong about it being a software fix or a hardware repair. It will still get fixed.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Were are just trying to share what we know. You really shouldn't downplay what anyone has to say based on when they joined this forum. If you knew why your IMac was freezing, you wouldn't be trolling this forum.

One way or the other, I believe Apple will fix the problem. Even if we are all wrong about it being a software fix or a hardware repair. It will still get fixed.

This is a rumors site...

Believe it or not, people do sign up and purposely spread misinformation.

Not saying you are,

Just saying two members with a low post count are claiming that an update will be released later this week.

Why are they the only ones with the inside info? I don't know..

srichart1

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Florida
Conspiracy theory

This is a rumors site...

Believe it or not, people do sign up and purposely spread misinformation.

Not saying you are,

Just saying two members with a low post count are claiming that an update will be released later this week.

Why are they the only ones with the inside info? I don't know..

Maybe, but from what I have read on this issue, everyone is trying to help and hopefully try to bring a resolution to the issue.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Maybe, but from what I have read on this issue, everyone is trying to help and hopefully try to bring a resolution to the issue.

So that means there is no possibility of some one registering to spread false info for the fun of it?

:rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I see it.

srichart1

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Florida
Conspiracy theory

So that means there is no possibility of some one registering to spread false info for the fun of it?

:rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Well, I choose to have a little more faith in my Mac friends.

Remember, were all in the same boat as you. My Imac has been a freezer since day one and I kept listening to my Apple friends to 'just wait a few more days'. Well, guess what, I am now out of the customary return period. So now, if what I have heard about a software fix is incorrect, I am stuck with a repaired machine. Why would anyone make something like that up....

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Well, I choose to have a little more faith in my Mac friends.

Remember, were all in the same boat as you. My Imac has been a freezer since day one and I kept listening to my Apple friends to 'just wait a few more days'. Well, guess what, I am now out of the customary return period. So now, if what I have heard about a software fix is incorrect, I am stuck with a repaired machine. Why would anyone make something like that up....

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, srichart, because it's better to live in hope. :p

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Comments like this speak volumes about your own credibility.

That doesn't make much sense but okay. I am not the one claiming I have inside info...

And this means a lot coming from another "newbie".

I guess you guys stick together or something...

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Isn't it funny that the two people (srichart1, yodamoppet) saying they have inside info are:

1. Both new to the site

2. Both use the "title option" when posting a new reply (Most users don't bother with this)

3. Both use the word "bro" (which again is not commonly used on these boards)

4. Both type similarly. (Lots of commas, and both users put their periods outside the quotation marks)

Not saying for sure that we have one guy who is just pulling our chain, But I have forwarded this matter to a moderator so it can be looked at...

caseydude

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Leopard still freezes for me with all updates :(
Tiger doesnt so im sticking with Tiger for now.

srichart1

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Florida
Removed

If the fix doesn't come today I will be taking mine to the Applestore tomorrow. Can you believe that from a newbie. You can come with me if you wish.

srichart1

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Florida
Update on Freezing.

I wanted to give you all some info on my Imac that freezes. It seems that if I can get a good boot out of mine, it is impossible to crash it. I can always tell when it's going to freeze due to the presence of artifacts during log in.

I have re-booted a few times with no problems and I haven't crashed in a few days. I have been leaving the machine on all of the time, so the temperature theory doesn't hold much water.

I am convinced, at least in my case, that the problem is happening due to the video card not initializing properly during start up. I would bet a steak dinner to whom ever could prove me wrong (one person only).

It is my opinion that the Apple 'insider', as some refer, is correct and software will fix the problem. I just hope they do not slow down something on the video card or bus to compensate.

We'll see. I hope this info helps someone.

Bolteh

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I wanted to give you all some info on my Imac that freezes. It seems that if I can get a good boot out of mine, it is impossible to crash it. I can always tell when it's going to freeze due to the presence of artifacts during log in.

I have re-booted a few times with no problems and I haven't crashed in a few days. I have been leaving the machine on all of the time, so the temperature theory doesn't hold much water.

I am convinced, at least in my case, that the problem is happening due to the video card not initializing properly during start up. I would bet a steak dinner to whom ever could prove me wrong (one person only).

It is my opinion that the Apple 'insider', as some refer, is correct and software will fix the problem. I just hope they do not slow down something on the video card or bus to compensate.

We'll see. I hope this info helps someone.

Actually, I've been thinking this myself as well.. It depends on boots for me as well.. Last 3 days I was able to boot my computer (after a shutdown for the night) and I couldn't freeze my iMac no matter what I tried. Dock, Arabesque, iTunes, video, gaming, PhotoBooth, iPhote, Photoshop, Final cut Pro.. Nothing would make my iMac freeze..

But alas, today it booted and some artifacts showed in the dock, resulting in a freeze 5 minutes later.. I've been struggling with artifacts and freezes for a few hours now. Il'l shut it down later tonight after I finished something for school, then leave it be for the night and see what tomorrow brings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.