MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Following up a report we had questions about from last week, Analyst Shaw Wu now claims that the upcoming iMacs will come in both dual core and quad core variants:
In his note to clients today, Wu now claims to be hearing from his sources "that both types of processors will likely be used," which would "makes sense as this helps Apple create better tiers within the iMac family, utilizing quad-core for the high-end, and dual-core for mid-range and low-end."
If true, this would be the first time that Apple would be adopting a quad-core processor into their consumer desktop machine. Wu's track record for accurate predictions are quite poor, however.

Another reason to doubt the report are its expecations that "upcoming Intel 'Nehalem' 8-core processors (and with two enabling a 16-core)" will be used in the new Mac Pro. While Intel will be detailing an 8-core Xeon at next week's ISSCC conference, most published reports don't expect such a chip until at least until late 2009. Meanwhile, Xbitlabs even states that recent confidential Intel documents didn't even have any mentions of an 8-core Xeon due in 2009. The March 29th Nehalem Xeons we reported on earlier today are only expected to max out at 4-cores per chip.

Article Link: iMac to Come in Both Dual-Core and Quad-Core Configs?

Zenor

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
In his note to clients today, Wu now claims to be hearing from his sources "that both types of processors will likely be used," which would "makes sense as this helps Apple create better tiers within the iMac family, utilizing quad-core for the high-end, and dual-core for mid-range and low-end."

Uhm, dual core for mid-range and low-end?
I thought that's what the current iMacs are, so why should the "new ones" include c2d?:eek:

Comment

wrkngclasshero

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Columbia, MD
Well based on track record this guy's "sources" must involve an eight ball and an ouiji board. Definitely not getting my hopes up on any of these imac rumors

Comment

dohardthings

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
my guess is that they will update to quad core but continue to sell the low end models discounted the same way as the mac books

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Cool.

Wonder if the Quad-Core will be slightly thicker or only available in the 24" model.

Comment

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
It's only about time ... you can walk into best buy and get a quad-core with a monitor for around $700 .....

While I know the computer is not as "pretty" as an imac .... but for half the cost and 2x the processors having a quad-core is all Apple can do to keep up.

I personally love my current imac ... having a quad-core would just make using handbrake much much better.

Comment

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I thought that's what the current iMacs are, so why should the new ones include c2d?:eek:

Yes, the iMacs are the midrange Macs but when they say midrange they probably mean for just the iMacs.
Probably something like this... if what is mentioned happens.
iMac 20 inch - 2.8GHz C2D
iMac 20 inch - 3.06GHz C2D
iMac 24 inch - x.xGHz Quad Core
iMac 24 inch - x.xGHz Quad Core

Comment

tbealmear

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Morgantown, WV
I am in agreement with others stating that the 24" variant will be the one seeing the Quad-core options. It will allow for more cooling and will get people to spend more money to get it! Now if I only REALLY needed to replace my first gen aluminum iMac...

Comment

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
iMac Pro coming up ;)

Thats it! The often demanded "headless Mac" aka "xMac" aka "Cube reloaded" which should fill the gap between Mac Pro and current iMac will be a souped up iMac Pro sporting a quad core CPU, while the "standard" iMac will stick to Dual-Cores.

In its Pro incarnation it would have 2 or even 4 hard drive bays for 2,5" harddrives, which allows for RAID-Setups and easily swappable drives.
Ideally, the graphic card would sit in its own PCIe slot (size limits apply though).

Memory can be upgraded up to (theoretically) 16 GB, however with only 4 Ram slots available and "standard" Ram modules (i.e. no ECC, no FB-DIMMs or RDIMMs as in the Mac Pro series).

Finally Apple takes care of the prosumer again =)

Flame on! :D

Comment

hakr

macrumors regular
Thats it! The often demanded "headless Mac" aka "xMac" aka "Cube reloaded" which should fill the gap between Mac Pro and current iMac will be a souped up iMac Pro sporting a quad core CPU, while the "standard" iMac will stick to Dual-Cores.

In its Pro incarnation it would have 2 or even 4 hard drive bays for 2,5" harddrives, which allows for RAID-Setups and easily swappable drives.
Ideally, the graphic card would sit in its own PCIe slot (size limits apply though).

Memory can be upgraded up to (theoretically) 16 GB, however with only 4 Ram slots available and "standard" Ram modules (i.e. no ECC, no FB-DIMMs or RDIMMs as in the Mac Pro series).

Gee, I hope the new iMacs are available in different color and texture cases. White and aluminum are soooo boring. :rolleyes:

Comment

dohardthings

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008

what about all of those people whining that the imac was held back to "force" mac pro sales

by the way they always whine that they are too far apart or too close together

and for all those that want more models just remember the 90's ok?

Comment

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
I don't think Apple has the option of comparing the iMacs with the just the MacPros. Since switching to Intel, the iMacs also compete against systems from other manufacturer's and such need to be comparable to those offerings.

The MacPro is "pro" for reasons other then just the CPU type, the most important of which is expandability. Apple could still offer a quad-core CPU in the iMac and still have enough leeway to differentiate their "pro" systems by offering dual quad-core on the low end and dual 8-core on the high when they are available.

I personally don't care if they stick with the dual-core CPU, having a quad-core would be nice though. I'm more interested in a system that's going to let Snow Leopard scream. My iMac is the original Intel Core Duo iMac and while it is actually still a very good system, performance wise, it is 3 years old now and probably can't take advantage of all the architectural changes being made in Apple's next Mac OS X, especially the 64-bit optimizations.

Comment

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Not a bad move - but it would probably come the same way as the MacBook where they keep the old model around for a little while.

Comment

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico

Keep dreaming... :rolleyes:
I gotta say.. it's be pretty dumb if this were the line up:
- Mac mini
- iMac
- iMac Pro
- Mac Pro

And what the hell would the price area be??

Comment

dam0dred

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
Canada
If Shaw Wu is so spectacularly and consistently wrong with his predictions, why do MacRumors and other sites insist on reporting everything he says?

Comment

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
I thought that's what the current iMacs are, so why should the new ones include c2d?:eek:

Prediction:
-iMac 20" 2.0 ghz C2D 9400M replaces the long neglected 17" education model, but is available to the public. DDR2 memory. More or less a iMac version of the white iBook. $999

-iMac 20" 9400M 2.4ghz C2D. $1199.

-iMac 24" 2.66ghz C2Q. $1699. Upgrade to 2.33 and 2.83ghz. Modified Geforce 9400 or Intel P45 platform using mobile chipset with SO-DIMMs for memory but socket 775. Geforce 9600 and 9800S (New SFF model introduced with HP Firebird) via MXM-III socket (as current 24 iMac use). 8GB maximum memory, possibly more easily user upgradable as this is now Apple's "Prosumer model".

30" iMac Pro $2000+? Core i7? Twin hard drives? Possible dual 9800S via SLI? Very unlikely, but stranger things have happened. Who saw the 24" model coming in september of 2006?

Comment

dohardthings

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
I don't think Apple has the option of comparing the iMacs with the just the MacPros. Since switching to Intel, the iMacs also compete against systems from other manufacturer's and such need to be comparable to those offerings.

The MacPro is "pro" for reasons other then just the CPU type, the most important of which is expandability. Apple could still offer a quad-core CPU in the iMac and still have enough leeway to differentiate their "pro" systems by offering dual quad-core on the low end and dual 8-core on the high when they are available.

very well said even though every one will rip this to shreds

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.