iMac update to Haswell?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jhaz004, Jun 29, 2013.

1. jhaz004 macrumors newbie

I ordered iMac this june 2013, what if they make an update within my shipping period? can i return it back and get the latest one?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have a 14 day return period, so in that time span if apple releases the updated iMac you can return it. If they release the Haswell iMac in 3 or 4 weeks after your purchase then you're SOL.

I'd not worry too much, with the Haswell chipset you're getting a slightly faster CPU, better battery management (which you don't need in an iMac) and a faster integrated GPU which you don't need since the iMac has a discrete GPU.

3. jhaz004 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks..
    that was a fast answer.. :D

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

2 cups of coffee this morning has done that :D

5. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Apple could also very well wait untill Thunderbolt 2 is available before they update the iMac. It could be a long wait...

6. Serban Suspended

yes i don't think will release haswell now...this is not meant for haswell but for new wifi ac, PCIe, next 7xxM graphics, and probably in late october or november with retina displays or at least 4K displays.

7. mrmarts, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

mrmarts macrumors 65816

One can dream that in late November we will see crisper displays but that is very highly unlikely. I have to agree with other members this years update will be a minor. However next years update will deliver in terms of updated ports, better graphics, better processors etc, i will not go out on limb and say it is possible to see a retina display next year based on little rumours. Also we can live without retina displays as there is little to no content available at this time, so the iMac display will do fine. My advice is buy your iMac and enjoy it.

8. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Agreed. I think my iMac's display is absolutely gorgeous, I could definitely live with this display for quite some time!

9. KimJongEun macrumors newbie

KimJongEun

I honestly doubt there will be a Haswell update. It's simply not worth it.

10. snapdragonx macrumors regular

They'll want to give it Wireless AC so they sell those new AirPort base stations

11. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'd LOVE a Retina display and the new PCIe SSD :D

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Typical! You stole my coffee! :mad:

13. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Why should they? The iMac is not a machine for professionals (no 4K support necessary), and Apple supports the USB Attached SCSI Protocol (UASP) for compatible USB 3.0 devices, which allows transfer speeds & low latency applications similar to eSATA II.

14. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

It's possible that for the iMac, 802.11ac and Haswell might just come sometime in the fall, as a 'quiet' update.

15. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Good point. However, it pays off to be able to show off new technologies when presenting a new iMac, MacBook model or whatever, giving the new model greater selling points. By following your argument, even thunderbolt 1 isn't really necessary in the iMac. Personally I'd much rather have a display port, which is much more useful. The way Apple and Intel integrated display support/functionality in the thunderbolt standard is very disappointing.

16. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I think this is the most likely scenario. Apple made a big fuss about the new iMac update with the new form factor last year. Haswell and new Wifi/ports, etc. just brings the iMac up to date with the other Macs which will hopefully be released before or at the same time.

17. Bear macrumors G3

The thunderbolt port works as a display port also, so you haven't lost that functionality.

Plus the faster PCIe SSD that the MacBook Air received. And hopefully improved graphics, even if it's only a small performance increase.

18. Serban Suspended

So in February 2014 update for iMac: 21.5" will have 4K IPS display and 27" will have 2880p IPS resolution.

19. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried connecting your iMac to another computer, ie. using the iMac as an external display for a Windows machine?

20. Bear macrumors G3

What windows machine? So, no I haven't.

So yeah, I guess Apple did remove partial display port functionality from the Thunderbolt iMacs.

21. Irishman macrumors 68030

Thunderbolt 2 is baked into the new Mac Pro, so based on that it IS available, and not such a long wait after all.

22. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

iDoubt™ that we will see TB2 in non-PRO machines in 2013/2014. And 2015 is a BIG if...!

23. Bear macrumors G3

Thunderbolt 2 silicon is going to be in short supply initially. So it will be a while before we see it on systems other than the Mac Pro.

I think as early as mid 2014 is possible for Thunderbolt 2 to start appearing in other Macs.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They didn't wait on the Air. Depending on their overall schedule, thunderbolt 2 could easily be pushed out to next year. Calling it 2 is silly when it's more of a 1.2 release. It introduces channel bonding rather than an increase in total bandwidth allocation per chip. Most years Apple updates the notebooks first, then the imac, with the mini last. Last year the mini was updated prior to the imac, but they still held it back until the imac announcement. I suspect it will be in the fall before the mac pro assuming they mimic past behavior.

25. Jedi Master macrumors regular

Just what CPU will they provide to do this?

Broadwell is looking at delays.....

4k will make the cost higher, but maybe

Retina, retina, while nice, it's Not the be all and all of a computer.

TB2 maybe around the end of the year, might be worth having, if you use TB attachments.

Jed