iMac why bother

Discussion in 'iMac' started by idontseeit, Jun 4, 2012.

1. idontseeit macrumors newbie

I am just wondering why anyone would buy a mac. I can understand an ipod or ipad, they are good products with a decent price. I think they are a little overpriced but not too bad. Macs, however, are extremely overpriced in my opinion!

I went to the Apple website and Dell just to compare two computers and included a screenshot of the quotes. Here are the basic specs of each:

Dell Mac

- 3rd gen Intel core i7 - 2.8 GHz core i7
    3.40 GHz (2nd gen I think)
    - 16 GB dual channel DDR3 - 16 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
    1600 MHz (4 sockets) (4 sockets)
    - NVIDIA GeForce 1 GB GDDR5 - AMD Radeon 512 MB GDDR5
    video card video card

Both include a 21.5" monitor, wireless LAN, bluetooth, wireless mouse, and wireless keyboard. The dell comes with Windows 7 and the Mac with OSX.

The Dell is $1406.97 and the Mac $2449.00.

One thing I just noticed is the two "Thunderbolt" ports on the mac. They have speeds up to 10 gigabits/second (which is 1250 megabytes/second), whereas the Dell computer has 2 USB 3.0 ports, rated at only 5 gigabits/second (or 625 megabytes/second). Now this is a significant difference, but USB 3.0 supports USB 2.0, "thunderbolt" ports do not. Most of us are used to USB 2.0 ports right now, rated at 480 megabits/second (or 60 megabytes/second). So both of these are much better than what most people use now anyways.

Another point is that I went to the Dell website to customize this computer. I know for a fact that if I watch the ads, or look for a deal online I could find the same computer or at least the same specs on a different manufacturer for quite a bit less. You simply can't find that same mac anywhere else for cheaper (that I know of at least).

So what is the big deal with a Mac!?

Attached Files:

2. theturn macrumors newbie

you're comparing an all-in-one computer with a tower, at least be fair and compare dell's all-in-one computer

3. macguy11 macrumors member

Why don't you go to a windows forum and talk Bout how much cheaper it is? You have to come to a Mac forum when you know everyone here is aware they are more expensive? I don t get it.

4. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Several factors differentiate Macs from PCs:
    1. OS.
    2. Design.
    3. Build quality.
    4. Customer service.
    5. Culture.
    6. Fashion.
    7. Loyalty.

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

The mac is all in one, runs any PC operating system including OS X, the screen is excellent and importantly, it isn't a Dell.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

People want them and they don't care if you understand or not.

7. idontseeit thread starter macrumors newbie

A fair point.

Let's compare to the Mac pro.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC560LL/A?
    (with 16 gb ram and 6 core processor)

If you go out and just buy the 6 core processor for the Dell (adds $1639) and you just throw away your old one instead of sell it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117228

You are at about $3100 vs. $4624 for Mac pro.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

"Let's compare the Mac Pro"

It's 600 days old Einstein.

9. idontseeit thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to the apple website store and customized a mac pro. That makes it seem like it is a current product to me but I am not "Einstein".

10. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

11. Hakone macrumors 6502a

It's all preference.

I have a Dell tower and a Macbook Air. I prefer the strengths of a 'gaming rig' on my desk but the mobility of the Mac when i'm on the road.

To each his own.

Best of luck with what you decide to choose.

12. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Yes it is, so why does it still cost more?

Components price go down in the long run, I guess the profit on this machine must be excellent...

13. idontseeit thread starter macrumors newbie

Tell me what I have said that is incorrect. I believe I am being quite reasonable.

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

idontseeit

The problem with this entire thread is that you have to be living under a rock to not know on a Mac enthusiast site that almost every piece of Mac hardware is due for an upgrade as soon as the 11th.

None of the pricing bakeoffs make any sense knowing that current Macs are at the end of their lifecycle.

15. idontseeit thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree it is just preference, I was actually hoping to get some insight here from people who have used them. I should have written the original post differently, it does kind of seem like I am attacking the mac which I was not intending to do.

16. torana355 macrumors 68020

All Apple owners know Macs are more expensive, it does not phase me though as i love OSX. If i could run OSX on a pc easily (hackintosh is a pita) I would do that to save cash but its not an option.

I have Windows 7 installed on a separate partition on my mac though Bootcamp, so i can run whatever program i like all on the one machine. Also Apples customer service is far ahead of company's like Dell. I love Apple so much that im prepared to spend big if Apple release a new Mac pro. :)

17. 12dylan34, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Why does someone buy expensive satin curtains when they could get cheap cotton ones, even though they block the same amount of light? It's because it's a nicer experience. I believe that the Mac is a nicer experience, and am willing to pay for that.

I, and most people are well aware of the generally higher price of Macs, but I don't care. It's what I prefer to use, and that will likely never change. I'm all in favor of you being a Windows guy if that's what you are.

Edit: If you're trying to choose between the two and price is your main concern, pretty much get a PC. I was initially under the impression that you were just here to troll, but I apologize if you weren't. Also, they gouge you mainly in the area of memory. You could shave $400 or so off of that if you bought your own memory and installed it yourself, which is what most proficient Mac users do.

18. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

You don't have to own a Mac or a Dell. I choose to own two of each because I can.

If money is an issue then you shouldn't have to ask "why bother". If you cant afford or don't want to spend more money on a Mac then your question is irrelevant.

We're not here to sell you on the Mac culture or we'd all be wearing blue tees and wearing lanyards.

It is what it is. If you don't get it then perhaps you have answered your own question. Buy a Dell.

19. idontseeit thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a shame apple doesn't allow a normal copy of OSX to run on a PC. I feel like they would sell quite a few of these.

20. torana355 macrumors 68020

True, i can custom build a killer pc that would destroy a Mac Pro for under 3k and it would be great if OSX just ran on it but it will never happen, Apple make money from their hardware.

21. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yes. I wince every time I hear that someone bought a Mac Pro recently just because it's in dire need of an update.

22. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Mac prices came down. : shrug :

Didn't Apple say they try to make about 30% profit off all their products, or something to that effect? It'd be nice if they weren't so greedy. Don't get me wrong, I love my Macs, just saying, making them more affordable would be great for all of us.

23. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

But no cheaper vendor delivers the service. Microsoft doesn't do $30 OS upgrades. How many Android phones with cracked screens does Verizon swap out without an extended warranty?

People love to ask for cheaper prices but in the end it must means service falls. I love that I can have Apple diagnose my Mac for 30 minutes with a Genius and it doesn't cost me one red cent.

Few companies are giving consumers that kind of love.

24. reelchef macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac as of last dec. I got a Mac mini server.
    I used to build all my pc's myself and used to enter in case mod competitions and overclock my machines etc.
    That said I still switched to apple because of seamless integration.
    My iPhones,itouch,appleTv and Mac mini all integrate with each other.
    Plain and simple a Fantastic media experience...

25. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I use an iMac because of not only OS X but also because I get a fantastic, high resolution screen that can show a lot of windows and make my work more productive. Also, I don't play any intense video games so power is not an issue. In a sense, you can say I paid for the convenience of having everything together in one tidy package.

Given how I have maintained good productivity of my iMac, I think it has been paid back more than once. As such, my next computer is likely to be an iMac.