iMac - Will the next revision affect value for money?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jimmy Mac, Apr 25, 2010.

  1. Jimmy Mac macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2010
    #1
    Hi there,

    I'm a forum newbie and currently looking to purchase an iMac. While they're not exactly peanuts, what I have read suggests they represent decent value for money in Mac terms.

    I'm settled on the i7 version, with 8gb RAM and ready to buy, but obviously the buying guide suggests to wait for the next release. I'd probably be happy to do this (provided it's not too long to wait!), but my concern is that Apple might hike up the price.

    - Is it best to bag one now while the going's good, or hold fire?
    - Will the pricing change?
    - What is the next revision likely to bring that might offer an improvement?
    - Are the likely changes enough to warrant waiting for?

    Given that the i7 and 8gb RAM is a custom option, it removes the benefit of waiting anyway and getting a slightly cheaper model as a sell off I guess...

    Thanks in advance for any help,

    Jim :apple:
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    As you're getting the i7, just buy now. I doubt Apple changes the pricing, 1999$ for high-end sounds fair. Only thing they can do IMO is to make i7 the high-end 27" and i5 the low-end 27" meaning that you could save a hundred or two.

    Next gen ain't gonna bring anything major to high-end anyway
     
  3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

    gnasher729

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2005
    #3
    Don't listen to them. According to the buying guide, you shouldn't buy in the first six months because it is a new model and you don't know what faults there will be in new models, and you shouldn't buy after the first six months because the next model is coming soon. :rolleyes:

    Intel isn't going to release anything much better than a quad core i7 with hyperthreading any time soon. You won't get a better monitor soon. RAM prices have dropped just now. If there is something slightly better in six months, so what? You will be using something much less good than you could for the next six months if you don't buy now.

    The only time you shouldn't buy is when an update is really, really imminent (like two days before some announcement is usually a bad time to buy).

    It is very, very rare that Apple increases prices. Normally a new model is just slightly improved in every respect and stays at the same price. As an example, take the new 13" MBP where lots of people are moaning about the upgrade. If you compare the basic $1199 model with the previous model, you get basically everything that you would have paid $1499 for two weeks ago. The only time when prices increase is when you get substantial changes, like the 27" iMac compared to the 24" iMac (I didn't even check if there was actually an increase), and outside the USA there is the possibility that Apple adapts prices to changed exchange rates when a new model is introduced; they don't like changing prices for existing models.

    But the main advice is: If you have the money now, and if a new computer helps you, buy now. There is always something better around the corner, and you may end up like that 99 year old woman who always waited for the next computer and at age 99 gave in and bought an iPad.
     
  4. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #4
    Actually, there was a price drop. Top-end 24" (3.06GHz C2D, 4GB, 1TB, ATI 4850) was 2199$ while top-end 27" is 1999$ (2.66GHz i5, 4GB, 1TB, ATI 4850)

    24" was horribly overpriced
     
  5. Jimmy Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2010
    #5
    Thanks so much for these prompt and informative responses! Given me a lot more reassurance.

    Thanks :D

    Jim :apple:
     

Share This Page