iMac with eSATA - now more attractive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mattbatt, Aug 5, 2010.

1. mattbatt macrumors member

Just found this out from OWC:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/iMac_2010_27

I have had my eyes set on a 6 core mac pro or building an i7 980x. What do you guys think about this new contender?

27" ISP panel = $1,000
    6 core mac = $3499 (my estimate)

So, iMac for $2167 with eSATA or MacPro for $4,499.

Both iMac and 6 core MP have 4 memory slots (less than my G5!)

One concern of fast storage / backup would be taken care of with eSATA. My other concern is the glossy display. Any opinions as I am a semi-pro photographer but will also be doing HD video editing and grading (with my beloved 5dMKII).

Ofcourse, the iMac is around 9200 on Geekbench where the i7 980's not overclocked have been mid 17,000.

2. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

If you don't mind it voiding the warranty. Some 27" imacs have been having problems so this might not be an option for some.

3. Ravich macrumors 6502a

Yeah, no way is voiding the warranty on an all in one a good idea, If it could be done without voiding the warranty, then I might skip over the Mac Pro for now, but that's not an option.

People who manage computer labs with lots of iMacs will generally tell you that iMacs will just fail sometimes. That's an expensive risk to take.

4. mattbatt thread starter macrumors member

hmmm, ok, didn't even think about that. Here is what OWC wrote me:

5. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

There seems a lot more options for additional storage space in a Mac Pro compared to an imac. You can buy an $17.00 bracket from OWC and have an external esata connection. Adapters to put hard drives in second CDROM space ect.

Some new imacs can put a second hard drive option.

6. davidp158 macrumors member

Hmmmm, an interesting alternative for someone who wants fast external storage, but doesn't want to invest in a Mac Pro. Too bad Apple doesn't offer it.

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

the problem with owc is they won't extend applecare. so you are only going to have a 1 year warranty with a 2k machine. even if you add on a fast esata hookup like a 2tb wd caviar black and run everything off it just using the internal as a spare. you get 2tb. I have a 2009 iMac and I am looking at a low end quad mac pro more for hdd management with decent cpu speed. The iMac can't do the hdd management (even with the esata mod it is not a raid controller ) . that the mac pro can add on.

2 of these

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEQX2KIT0GB/ 320 each

with this card

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Highpoint Technologies/RRAIDMAC/ 220 for the one

can give you to 16tb with booting and raid setups. the drives you can pick on your own.

I am hoping to get a low end mac pro after the upgrade maybe as a refurb for 2 k or so. I have the 4 drive kits now as fw800 setups to my mac mini.. i have a lot of recorded material quite a bit in hd. I do all mac so I really want something to manage hdd's more then anything else.