imac without an ssd?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cinek, Jun 19, 2011.

1. cinek macrumors 6502

I want to buy an iMac soon. I've been a windows user for years now, and I know that a pc with a normal HDD will become slower and slower as time goes on. I'm now using an SSD on my windows pc, and I can't really see any way of going back. Is this the same case with iMacs? I really want to get the ssd but apple charges 2x the amount for it as you can get a 240gb ssd for £240 now with read/write speeds of 275mb/s. But at the same time I do not feel comfortable installing the ssd myself, so I don't have much choice.

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I never felt any slow down on any of my Macs (iMac, MBP) over the years. The current iMac is blazing fast, unresponsiveness shouldn't worry you. Either way, I agree getting an SSD directly from Apple might be a financial suicide. There are plenty of good options being distributed by third party electronics store such as newegg and amazon... regarding the installation of the drive, it's pretty simple when you follow the many tutorials there are, including youtube ones. I don't know if they would install it for you at the Apple Store, but it's worth asking.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

OP, you could always find an Apple authorized Repair centre near you. They will likely install the SSD (for a price) in the HDD slot.

4. cinek thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, there are no authorized repair centres near me :(

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

6. cinek thread starter macrumors 6502

there are some shops which build custom pcs but I don't really trust them lol

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

You do have a choice wait until the t-bolt units come out buy one with an ssd and use it for your osx/boot drive. Do not buy one until you read a few reviews and the fact that they boot is true.(unknown about boting as of today!).

If you do not want the extra piece of gear then you have less choice you will need to wait for a refurb unit see link.

all of the iMac refurbs

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac?mco=MjEwNzQ2Njk

ssd refurbs

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0JP1LL/A?mco=MTk0MjA0MzU

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0JN2LL/A?mco=MjEwNjA3MjE

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0JP2LL/A?mco=MTkwOTc0MDE

Attached Files:

8. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

mate, you should not worry about specs like write or read sped, they don't really mean anything

just to let you know, i was very concerned about the kind of stuff in the past, and used to buy Intel SSD over other brands

even if read/write speeds were lower on the Intel, the overall SSD was faster than others

now i have chosen the Apple one, because i don't care any more about these specs

just to let you know, my CTO iMac 2011 with Apple SSD boots in 7 seconds

all the softwares launch in a blink of an eye

i will never see the difference between this SSD and another

and i save the pain in the ass of having to open the iMac myself and replacing the drive by a third-party SSD and keep my warranty safe

i'd rather buy an extra buck for the SSD apple which is installed by Apple prior to delivery rather than saving some money, getting minor improvements and killing the warranty

9. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I ordered my 27" iMac without the SSD. I haven't gotten it yet (it'll be here tomorrow) but I'm already having buyer's remorse.

But, I'm not too worried. I plan on adding (or upgrading the HDD to) an SSD some time in the future... perhaps next year when prices have come down (when they at least are close to a dollar or less per gig). I may just get an external Thunderbolt boot drive (as mentioned above) with an SSD when those become available, but I'm not afraid to tear the iMac apart if I have to :D

10. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

truthfully, fwiw with my imac (without ssd) and my MBA (with ssd) i don't see any noticeable difference..i am extremely happy with the speed of both machines

11. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

here you have a OWC bracket for 3.5" to 2.5" for $18, and a 120GB SSD for $280 (with read/write speeds of 450mb/sec or even a little more). I did it on my iMac and there's no comparison with aNY 7200rpm HHD. this SSD is a big time killer

RoyalFlush,

12. cinek thread starter macrumors 6502

so did you notice a performance increase or not?

13. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

Huge increase,
    I work as a design engineer consultant for medical companies. I do design for medical instruments. I work with very big assemblies of 100+ components and all this is done in SolidWorks. I have this iMac 27" with 16MB memory and use Parallels to have Windows run my SolidWorks 3D solid model design program. I also have the program installed in Bootcamp but I see no much difference in performance vs. Parallels. Anyway, after upgrading with SSD, the boot time for OSX and Windows is fantastic. Plus opening and working with multiple 3D CAD files is a breeze.

If you want to upgrade, I would strongly suggest to get OWC-SSD and also 2.5" ==> 3.5" bracket to install your new drive.

RoyalFlushAK(s),