iMac's Assembled in the US

Discussion in 'iMac' started by OwenMeasures, Feb 7, 2013.

1. OwenMeasures macrumors 6502

OwenMeasures

Apologise if this threat already exists, just couldn't find it...

People who have received there new 2012 iMac in the US... does your say 'Assembled in the US' and people in the UK what does yours say?

There were early reports that Apple had moved production to the US, but only seems to be for US orders!

Thanks in advance.

2. widow maker macrumors newbie

3. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

mine was done in china and is flawless. I doubt it matters who builds in in terms of quality but If I had to take a guess at which was better i'd say chinese because they're more masters at it than US. Repetition is the key to mastering something

4. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

mine was shipped from China, so I assume when it arrives , it will say assembled in China.

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I think you misunderstand the report. Apple has not moved iMac manufacturing to the US, there's simply a rumor that a future product (maybe a revised Mac Mini) will be assembled here.

Historically, Apple has done final assembly on small numbers of Macs in one of its California plants. Both my 2009 27" i7 iMac and my 24" BTO iMac were assembled in the US.

6. OwenMeasures thread starter macrumors 6502

OwenMeasures

Fixit, and other websites have photos of the back of there iMacs that clearly say 'Assembled in China'

I'm not asking as a building quality but be interesting to see what Apple are doing.

7. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Nice observation but sadly you're totally wrong. While Apple's build quality is still good today, it was much better back in the day when all their Macs were made in the USA.

8. BeeJee macrumors 6502

I'd rather support MY people than some factory workers on the other side of the world. Especially when paying such a premium.

9. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

lol, ok then. I choose to support any human no matter what race or country. Human is a human.

----------

ok

10. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

You've got evidence to back up that assertion?

11. HenryDJP macrumors 603

And other than me buying Macs exclusively since 1998, how would you expect me to produce evidence for you?

12. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Well obviously the fact that you're Australian means that you shouldn't care if its made in the US. However, you're going to tell me you'd rather have a Mac made in China than from your homeland? By the why Chinese isn't a race, it's an ethnicity. Outsourcing so much is the cause for so many lost jobs.

13. mrbrown macrumors 6502

There were actually iMacs that were assembled here in the US, specifically the newest revision. There was an article here on MR about it as soon as they started popping up. However, it appears it may have just been temporary and Apple shifted production back to China.

Here's the source.

14. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Every generation of iMacs have had a few assembled in the US, my previous two were assembled in the USA, however it's a very small percentage of the total volume.

15. USAntigoon, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

USAntigoon macrumors regular

USAntigoon

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

lmao I guess that is why Chinese made stuff nowadays lasts a lifetime. :rolleyes:

17. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

you're not thinking right. It is the materials used not the way it was constructed. Most Chinese stuff you see is cheap materials.

----------

I wasn't calling them a race I was generalising the whole world that is why i said race or country.

I can understand that you want stuff to be made in your homeland because of job losses etc but all I am trying to say to the OP is that quality wise shouldn't matter where it was built yeah?

18. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

If you've got nothing but personal experience, then perhaps you should be saying that rather than that someone is "totally wrong." Anecdotal evidence is not really evidence.

And for everyone that claims x years of Apple experience there will be someone who claims x+1 with a completely different story until we get back to the garage.

19. OlegPasko macrumors newbie

20. perspectivebass macrumors newbie

Well its cheaper no manufacture in China so i can understand why things gets outsourced. We in the west want to much salary to compete with china, vietnam, india.

It more our self to blame then china or any other.

And if apple is planning to manufacture everything in the US count my word for price increases for all you apple products.

as long we dont want to pay more for our products for mostly the same built quality then more and more things will be outsourced.

21. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Refurb?

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

While I agree that materials influence quality, the workmanship in chinese factories is lacking. If you leave a chinese factory after training for your product on how they assemble it, they start skimming material quality plus make shodier work to get more faster and to even make more to sell on black markets. Also many workers work more hours than they should for pennies on the dollars (is an expression) so they work tired and unhappy which makes shoddier work.

Any factory worker can make something good with practice, what changes the quality of a worker is the conditions of working/living plus training & materials
    Also, there are so many looking for jobs in factories there, so most have never made any product until they get hired.
    Many of them do not have past experience making stuff in factories to say they are better skilled than others.

23. HenryDJP, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

HenryDJP macrumors 603

Well 15 years of personal experience purchasing multiple Macs over the years qualifies me to know if the build quality differed after changing the manufacturing from the US to China. Sounds like you want me to be wrong. Not sure what your issue is? You're coming up with your own theory of why I'm wrong, I'm speaking from many years of owning Macs. The guy I replied to said China is better at manufacturing than the US. Lemme guess, you're not from the USA right? I highly doubt that most people that have used Macs exclusively as long as I have will come here and state that Macs of the earlier years that were made USA had worse build quality than Macs of today that are made in China.

24. OlegPasko macrumors newbie

Nope, new late 2012 model.

25. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I heard that some were being built in Ireland. Wondering where mine will come from? Probably China. I'd like a US one though :)