Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Which iMac? If it's a LCD display, the burn in should only be temporally. When I first saw this after I moved a static window I got scared, but it goes away after a little while. If it's a CRT iMac G3, then it probably out of warranty to begin with. Even if it was still in warranty, I don't think a burn in is something covered under warranties. :)

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
I did that to my Acer notebook once. AppleCare will cover it as long as you weren't doing something that wasn't a good idea, such as turning off screen saver and setting the display to never sleep. For example, if it froze in the middle of a task and the sleep function failed, burning an image into the LCD, its plausable they'd cover it.

Good luck.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
It happen on my iMac listed in my sig. The image is of my wallpaper... i have the settings to put the display to sleep and everything. It is very noticable.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Yea I guess it would depend on the circumstances that led to the image burn (didn't think about that). If the burn in has been there for some time, calling AppleCare might not be a bad idea. Hope you get it resolved. :)

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Yea I guess it would depend on the circumstances that led to the image burn (didn't think about that). If the burn in has been there for some time, calling AppleCare might not be a bad idea. Hope you get it resolved. :)

Well I was working on my computer today... it was an extended period... but it wasn't like it was 24 hrs straight. I also have my display to sleep after thirty minutes of inactivity.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Then you have grounds to get in touch with Apple. Do it soon though, I would as soon as they open tomorow. Its likely you'll be covered because its a new machine and it was through no fault of your own.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Then you have grounds to get in touch with Apple. Do it soon though, I would as soon as they open tomorow. Its likely you'll be covered because its a new machine and it was through no fault of your own.
How long does it normally take for LCDs to have screen burn in? The strange thing about it is it is only on certain areas of the screen... like my dock for example is not burnt in... only areas that were only occupied by my wallpaper.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
This is odd...

I turned on my computer today to see that the "image burn" disappeared... but then it comes back and goes away and so on... does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
I still think you should have it looked at. I change the desktop every couple months on my iMac, and I've never seen an image burn. Its better to have the problem assesed before they can claim you didn't bring it in soon enough.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
I think heat plays a part in this also, recently i've noticed slight burnt in images after some long video encoding, as my G5 gets quite hot after a few hours at 100% cpu usage.

Yet I often have a static images on the screen for long periods when the system is not doing anyting that would make it extra hot and no burn in happens.

Either way it dissapears after a while and has never been too noticable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.