Image Capture not seeing photos on iPhone

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Candlelight, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

Plugging in phone via cable. Image Capture launches and can see the device, but no images or videos show up in the list. It was working when I was running the Public Beta, but now running the general release of 10.14.0 it's no longer working properly (this is the first time I've connected the phone since removing the Beta).

Device is accessible in iTunes, photos are showing up in the contents bar so the computer knows I have photos on the phone (there's over 500 on there), just Image Capture can't see them.

Computer is 2013 MacBook Pro 13". Phone is iPhone 8 64GB, running iOS 12.0 (also general release, not Beta).

Any help appreciated.

2. mikzn macrumors 6502a

mikzn

Why not use Photos? It is the default app for organizing and archiving photos from all your devices?

Also you can access photos in Preview - in the file menu - you can import, delete or just drag a photo from the phone to the desktop etc.

3. Candlelight thread starter macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

Thanks, I didn't realise Photos overtook Image Capture as the default program.

But I've just launched Photos and it says I have no photos on my phone either...

May try resetting my phone, see if it fixes it.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2018 ---
    And Preview does the same thing. Grrr.

4. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Did you tap 'Trust' when you connected your iPhone? Maybe you didn't, and you need to reset that. Open iTunes and go to Preferences > Advanced > Reset all Warnings, then try again.

5. Candlelight thread starter macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

No it's all trusted.

I went and reinstalled the iOS Beta profile and it's all working again. Something's funky with it.

I'll get my photos off the phone then may wipe it.

6. mikzn macrumors 6502a

mikzn

That is strange - one thing for sure, if iTunes can see the phone - Photos and Preview and Image Capture should too!

sometimes it could be something simple like a bad cable? connection?

7. Candlelight thread starter macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

They could all see the phone, that was never in doubt. It's just the fact that iTunes could see a section of the phone's storage was taken up by photos but none of the others could see. They just reported the phone was empty.

I tried it at home and at work using three different cables so it wasn't a connectivity issue. I'd like to think it's a 12.0 bug but no one else is reporting it, so....

8. jalvar macrumors newbie

jalvar

Hello Guys
    I just updated my phone and my computer and non of the programs can see my photos even though they see the phone.
    out of ideas now.

9. renzocastagnino macrumors newbie

renzocastagnino

I had this problem. Image Capture will recognize the the iPhone, but wont show the picture. I just turned off and on my iPhone and it solved the problem.

Macos: Mojave
    ios: 12.1

10. pdofak macrumors newbie

Glad it isn't just me. iPhone 8 current and MBPro current. All applications see the device connected but no photos. Sometimes power cycle fixes it but not always.
    Irritating!

11. cphope macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem. Same issue with my wife's phone as well. Believe it is an iOS issue because tried it on multiple computers which are running different OS, and same issue. No turning off and on my phone, or restarting the macs did not solve the problem.

12. Geoff Walker macrumors newbie

Geoff Walker

Any real solution to this?? I can’t download from my 7plus 256gb as photos aren’t seen as others describe.....

13. rehabzzz macrumors newbie

rehabzzz

same thing here, at first the photos were there and as i started to import them to my desktop the cable was connecting and disconnecting so i changed the usb cable and when i did imagecapture didnt show any pictures this time its so frustrating

14. heraldmarketing macrumors newbie

heraldmarketing

THIS WORKED! Plug your iPhone into your Mac. Open Image Capture. It should show the iPhone connected, but it won't reveal any camera roll. Keep the phone plugged in and Image Capture open. Then, turn off the phone and turn it back on again. As soon as it turns back on and your enter your passcode, Image Capture should say, "Preparing camera roll" and show you it all. At least, for me it did! Using iPhone 7 with iOS 12.1.2 and iMac with macOS Mojave 10.14.2

15. akaraspo macrumors newbie

Worked for me - thank you.