Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Your all welcome! But I'm not available to slap. Back rubs and tea runs most welcome!
[doublepost=1489000472][/doublepost]
Bring someone to take photos, please.
Seriously have you seen the way people walk round with their cameras on show.
Excuse me mate, why do you need a 500mm lens to take images of that model standing 10 feet away?

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Your all welcome! But I'm not available to slap. Back rubs and tea runs most welcome!
[doublepost=1489000472][/doublepost]
Seriously have you seen the way people walk round with their cameras on show.
Excuse me mate, why do you need a 500mm lens to take images of that model standing 10 feet away?

Lol... Compensating for something? I shoot through a 15mm:rolleyes:

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
Hi guys just a quick question I am definitely going to get the 50 lux, but I am also thinking I need a wide.

I think I could maybe stretch to the 50lux and the 35 summarit 2.4. I quite like that this is a small lens so great for walking around with.

Or would I be better waiting and maybe getting the cron f2?

I think 2.4 indoors with no flash should be get-away-able with 6400 ISO most of the time?

Reactions: kenoh

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hi guys just a quick question I am definitely going to get the 50 lux, but I am also thinking I need a wide.

I think I could maybe stretch to the 50lux and the 35 summarit 2.4. I quite like that this is a small lens so great for walking around with.

I think 2.4 indoors with no flash should be get-away-able with 6400 ISO most of the time?

Well, I'm a Leica fan, and - to my mind - there is no substitute for a fast lens. To my ind, those extra f stops are worth their weight in gold.

The 50 and 35 lenses are small enough, no matter which version you choose (apart form the noctilux, which is a monster)- if size is an issue - and, if your pocket allows for it, I'd certainly recommend the summicron.

While the 50 summilux is superb, - I'd recommend a 35 summilux and a 50 summicron, if you wished to go the classic 35mm and 50mm route - and that should be possible without having to sell a limb or two.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

So, I think (my opinion) the Summarit is a decent lens. I have not come across a bad Leica lens yet with the exception of some of the wides that dont behave on digital sensors.

The focusing is not as smooth on the Summarit compared to the cron. Now bear in mind this is not to say it is bad in any way. just not cron smooth which is silky.

Also maybe consider a Zeiss ZM 50/2 planar? a cracking lens by all accounts and cheaper than the Summarit but built more like a cron.

I think from a get-away-able perspective the Summarit is fine. It takes nice images BUT if you are even thinking cron then go cron as it is a VERY sharp legendary lens.

Just my opinion. Feel free to ignore.

Be ready though as that 50lux is going to make you see nothing beyond a lux... :)

I have been shooting a 50lux for 2 years and it still stops me in my tracks frequently at the wonder of how nice it is.

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
So, I think (my opinion) the Summarit is a decent lens. I have not come across a bad Leica lens yet with the exception of some of the wides that dont behave on digital sensors.

The focusing is not as smooth on the Summarit compared to the cron. Now bear in mind this is not to say it is bad in any way. just not cron smooth which is silky.

Also maybe consider a Zeiss ZM 50/2 planar? a cracking lens by all accounts and cheaper than the Summarit but built more like a cron.

I think from a get-away-able perspective the Summarit is fine. It takes nice images BUT if you are even thinking cron then go cron as it is a VERY sharp legendary lens.

Just my opinion. Feel free to ignore.

Be ready though as that 50lux is going to make you see nothing beyond a lux... :)

I have been shooting a 50lux for 2 years and it still stops me in my tracks frequently at the wonder of how nice it is.

Yeah my heart belongs to the 50 lux, I learned long ago that sometimes the head should not rule the heart, if i bought any other lens it would always not be a 50 lux.

I think I might be better to wait a little and get the 35 cron, having said all this I am still number 22 on the wait list for an m10 and my local dealer has had 3 to date!! I think the m10 has given be a bad case of red dot fever!

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
Maybe we should rename this thread GAS for lottery winners!

I wish! I am putting in all my micro 4/3 kit as well as some of my less used DSLR lenses towards this...I also sell some photos as stock, your photography is excellent apple fanboy have you considered it? Some of your recent Macro stuff I can image would sell pretty well, its awesome!

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yeah my heart belongs to the 50 lux, I learned long ago that sometimes the head should not rule the heart, if i bought any other lens it would always not be a 50 lux.

I think I might be better to wait a little and get the 35 cron, having said all this I am still number 22 on the wait list for an m10 and my local dealer has had 3 to date!! I think the m10 has given be a bad case of red dot fever!

You are not alone friend!

22 will feel like a really big number... lets hope the unit of measurement is weeks not months!
[doublepost=1489079619][/doublepost]
Maybe we should rename this thread GAS for lottery winners!

Lol.... I wouldnt qualify to be in here then and I need my group therapy...
[doublepost=1489079693][/doublepost]
I wish! I am putting in all my micro 4/3 kit as well as some of my less used DSLR lenses towards this...I also sell some photos as stock, your photography is excellent apple fanboy have you considered it? Some of your recent Macro stuff I can image would sell pretty well, its awesome!

We tell him that! despite his protests and the handicap of shooting nikon... we all agree!

wait for it.... :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1489079725][/doublepost]

Micro 4/3?? get the lux now and play with it on an adapter.... :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
That's kind of you to say. I'm very happy with the macro stuff I have done, but I'd say a lot of my stuff is mediocre at best.
I'm not sure selling stock is for me. I know @Doylem does. But I recall his best selling shot wasn't one of his beautiful landscapes but something a bit less stunning.
[doublepost=1489081722][/doublepost]
You are not alone friend!

22 will feel like a really big number... lets hope the unit of measurement is weeks not months!
[doublepost=1489079619][/doublepost]

Lol.... I wouldnt qualify to be in here then and I need my group therapy...
[doublepost=1489079693][/doublepost]

We tell him that! despite his protests and the handicap of shooting nikon... we all agree!

wait for it.... :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1489079725][/doublepost]

Micro 4/3?? get the lux now and play with it on an adapter.... :)
Okay Porsche and Leica boy!
Suggesting Carl Zeiss lenses then pleads poverty :rolleyes:

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
That's kind of you to say. I'm very happy with the macro stuff I have done, but I'd say a lot of my stuff is mediocre at best.
I'm not sure selling stock is for me. I know @Doylem does. But I recall his best selling shot wasn't one of his beautiful landscapes but something a bit less stunning.

You'd be surprised what sells, I accidentally took a picture of a loft hatch once and its sold more than 30 times on one site alone, while what I think is good hardly sells at all..

Your stuff is way above mediocre! The problem with this forum is we have some absolutely fabulous photographers contributing which can make the rest of us look pretty poor (i'll not mention names but you know who they are!!)

@kenoh yep 22 pretty big, my dealer has only had 3 in since launch :(

@kenoh Micro 4/3?? get the lux now and play with it on an adapter.... That would have been a very sensible idea, while the boat has not sailed on that, it has certainly prepared for departure..dammit!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
You'd be surprised what sells, I accidentally took a picture of a loft hatch once and its sold more than 30 times on one site alone, while what I think is good hardly sells at all..

Your stuff is way above mediocre! The problem with this forum is we have some absolutely fabulous photographers contributing which can make the rest of us look pretty poor (i'll not mention names but you know who they are!!)

@kenoh yep 22 pretty big, my dealer has only had 3 in since launch :(

@kenoh Micro 4/3?? get the lux now and play with it on an adapter.... That would have been a very sensible idea, while the boat has not sailed on that, it has certainly prepared for departure..dammit!
There are some very skilful people on here. Not sure I'd shoot my loft hatch. It needs painting!

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
[doublepost=1489081722][/doublepost]
Okay Porsche and Leica boy!
Suggesting Carl Zeiss lenses then pleads poverty :rolleyes:

Lol... Mate like the rest of us I have Gear Aspiration Syndrome... I aspire to a Porsche. I aspire to more Leicas....
[doublepost=1489084586][/doublepost]
Hmm its pretty upsetting sometimes to think this..

has sold more than this,

Lincolnshire Wolds Sunset by Shaun Wilkinson, on Flickr

But there you go

Really?!?! You kidding?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.