image primary HD to a larger replacement HD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vidnewguy, Sep 11, 2008.

1. vidnewguy macrumors newbie

Earlier this year I purchased a new mac pro 2x4 core. It came with a 320 Gb primary HD. I have purchased a new Segate SATA 1TB internal HD and I wish to replace my 320 GB HD with the 1TB. Can someone advise how I can image my 320 to the 1TB Segate so that I can replaced?

2. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

3. kalex macrumors 65816

yep. either CCC or superduper is super easy and very fast and work great.
    I use superduper every week to make an image of my Mac Pro just in case.

its much faster to restore from another drive than using time machine

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

A free option would be Apple's own Disk Utility – every time I've upgraded drives I've simply used it to image the old drive to the new one and I've been good to go.

5. vidnewguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all of you. This is very helpful.

I had considered a fresh installation of my Leopard OS, Final Cut Express and other software on the 1TB drive but an APPle rep at a Best Buy store opined that Apple would consider that an installation on a second machine. I am new to macs but I have never had that problem with Microsoft when I have upgraded the primary drive on a PC.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Start from the Leopard Install DVD, start Disk Utility, and just drag the partition over. No need to buy or download any software. Alternative, if you use Time Machine for backup, restore from the Time Machine backup

7. vidnewguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Image and replace a Mac Pro secondary Hard Drive

One of my secondary 500 GB internal sata drives is almost at capacity. I plan to replace it with a new 1TB drive. However, is has a lot of captured video which I have edited with Imovie 08. I would like to image the new drive with the contents of the old drive. My plan is to move the old 500 to an external firewire enclosure and replace it with the new 1TB drive then copy the contents from the external to the new internal drive. Would that work? Is there a better way?

8. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

That's ridiculous! You can install the OS any number of times, on any number of drives, as long as it is installed on one system at a time.

S-

9. POLOgt macrumors member

POLOgt

Just use your Time Machine Backup File accessed from the Install CD that came with it.

Then your setup will be the exact same with more capacity!

10. madboom macrumors newbie

I originally had the stock 320.

Used disk utility to upgrade to dual WD Raptors.

Recently ran out of room and used Carbon Copy to move to a 1TB WD Black.

Don't like the slower response time and will eventually go to dual Velociraptors and will use Super Duper probably just because I can.

Also restored from a time machine backup somewhere along the way when some bad software seriously FUBAR'ed my machine. If your using a time capsule don't even think about restoring from it unless you have to it will take forever if you have a lot of data.

11. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

I would simply clone my old boot drive to the new one, physically replace, and be done with it.
    I use SuperDuper. No problems in the 4 years I've had it, and very fast, comparitively. For regular backups, you can use "smart update", to bring the backup up to the present, in a fraction of the time.
    This app has smart update, erase/replace, and locked or sparse(updatable) disk imaging.

12. vidnewguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice. I am having some USB problems and considering starting from scratch with a fresh install of Leopard, iWorks08, iLife08, Final Cut Express, and Photoshop Elements. I would install fresh on a new 1 TB drive and remove the original 320. Do you know of any reason to be concerned that Apple or Adobe would prevent me from installing these aps in a replacement hard drive on the original computer? I can't imagine it would be a problem. However, a Best Buy computer employee opined apple and Adobe would deny me the ability to install the OS and aps on a different HD even if it is a replacement in the same machine.

13. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I'll repeat myself:

That's ridiculous! You can install the OS any number of times, on any number of drives, as long as it is installed on one system at a time.

S-

14. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

Do not listen to the Best Bums. They know nothing. They are always wrong. They mothers wear combat boots, and they smell bad.

Honestly, though.

15. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

IF you are inclined to listen to/believe anything those clowns at BustBuy have to say about macs (and most other things too) then you should quickly re-evaluate your reasons for having a computer in the first place :eek: :D :apple:

Being redundant here, but as the Mr. Obama says: Y E S YOU CAN ! install OS X & it's associated applications on as many HDD's as you want/need.....so long as they ALL reside in the same machine.......this is NOT a problem nor a violation of the user agreement whatsoever........

Just do da clone & bee happy :D

16. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I'm just curious as to why you want to remove the stock 320 after you designate a 1Tb as the new boot drive. Since you have 4 drive bays (unless of course you have others all filled) why not just use it for additional storage in your system?

17. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

That's a good question.
    I'm upgrading soon to a 30GB SSD boot, maybe 60...
    I'd rather my boot drive have less read/write slowing it down and "wearing it out".

18. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well actually I didn't mean still using the 320 as a boot drive-- I just meant formatting it and leaving it in the system for a scratch/additional storage drive. ;)

19. vidnewguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I may keep the 320 and reinstall the software. The other three bays are 500 gb each. Two are for old family videos captured with iMovie. One of those is almost full an second is half full. I will probably clone the full to my new 1tb.

I have always built and used PCs and this is my first Mac. I still have a lot to learn about it.