image retention after mountain lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ljx718, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ljx718 macrumors 6502

i know this sounds crazy and impossible, but after just updating from ML, i now have image retention on my rmbp. before i updated, and had just got the laptop a month ago, it had absolutely no retention. i would have this safari window open to macrumors, read for a while, then log out into the login screen with the dark grey. Nothing was there.

now, after updating and being on a white page for maybe 5 min, i log out to go eat, and as its doing its turning animation to log out, i now see distinctly where the safari page was open.

idk know how that is possible. i did something something software related that affected something thats basically physical. i know for a fact it wasnt there before and now it is.

I know everyone is going to say i just never noticed it before, but i checked and rechecked for that when i first got the RMBP and in the weeks following.

Did anyone else notice this?

2. zwan84 macrumors newbie

I started getting this problem today too and i started using ML yesterday.

I used to go between Facebook and Tumblr all the time and never noticed any bleeding or retention what so ever. However, now when I stay on the Facebook page for a while and I go into Tumblr, i can see the headings on the left side ontop of the darker tumblr background.

I will try to post a screenshot if it happens again

3. zwan84 macrumors newbie

here is a picture i took of my background...

Attached Files:

4. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

That looks BAD, it has to be something related to the graphics card drivers. Reset your PRAM and NVRAM and see where that takes you.

5. xdxdaustin macrumors regular

If I were you, I'd bring that sucker to Apple ASAP and just make them do a swap. No reason for that to be happening on a 2200$+ notebook that can't be older than 2 months.

6. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

To be fair, if the ghosting wasn't happening with Lion, it's clearly an issue with the software communicating with the hardware. No clue why, but I don't think there's anything physically wrong with the laptop.

7. armistice macrumors newbie

oh man...good luck.

I'm still using Lion but noticed it happening on mine 2 nights ago. Thankfully I'm still well within my 14 day period (received July 18th), but I STILL spent 2hrs last night and SIX HOURS today trying to get a replacement worked out.

Because of school I'm not able to be without a computer for up to 2 weeks (the time they were quoting me). No one I talked to would let me keep my current computer until the replacement arrived- I actually had to purchase a second one with the promise of my old one being refunded once I send it back before I'm forced to actually pay for both.

They gave me a free bag for my trouble- but it's been an absolutely hellacious process of spending HOURS at a time on the phone being shuffled from department to department, being told to go to my "local" store (drove 45min there just to be told they couldn't do anything because my rMBP is BTO so I would need to call the online store).

I know it would have been easier had I been willing to be computerless for a while, but I found that entirely unacceptable because this is CLEARLY Apple's issue- not mine, and I'm in the midst of wrapping up final projects for Summer semester in school.

All of that to say- I totally sympathize with your situation. Best of luck getting everything worked out. All I can say is to be persistent. No one I talked to had heard of this happening in the rMBP's which absolutely shocked me because even before I purchased mine I read many stories on here about it. :(

8. armistice macrumors newbie

we seriously have the EXACT same story (aside from the fact that I still haven't updated to ML). I first noticed it going from Facebook to Tumblr because I could still see the FB logo and some of the stuff that facebook has on the left side was showing up in the blue as well. It was pretty faint so I went and changed my desktop background to grey and it really showed up.

here's what mine looks like:

Attached Files:

9. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

It IS unacceptable for them to make you wait that long. You'd think that they would put the ones who already own one but are having issues on top priority, no? :rolleyes: this has to be one of the messiest product launches in Apple history.

But guys seriously, reset the PRAM and NVRAM before spending the time on an exchange, it's so simple and can fix a large variety of issues.

10. zwan84 macrumors newbie

I did this twice but it didn't seem to fix the issue :(

It looks like I will have to do what armistice did and go into the store. It sucks because I have a BTO model and this is also my only computer that I am using and I am taking an online course for summer school...

11. armistice macrumors newbie

On my first phone call the guy had me update all my software/pram/do something with my recovery disk- nothing was helping. At least in my case, it's 100% hardware.

I feel bad because I've never been a 'difficult customer' before, but this just pushed me to my limit. I totally understand that this is a new product, lemons get shipped out, kinks are being worked out...I don't even mind the 2wk wait, so long as Apple guarantees that I have a computer to use in the interim. It didn't help that they just continued to pass me off onto different departments for hours on end (although like I said, they did what they could to make up for it and a manager got on the phone and gave me a very sincere apology).

Surely they understand that people don't just buy their computer to surf facebook- some people can't be without them while Apple drags their feet on getting a replacement out.

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

let them know that and they will let you hang onto this one while they ship the new one.

13. armistice macrumors newbie

I specifically asked for this arrangement and NO ONE out of the 10 or so people I talked to would allow this, despite me mentioning that I had seen other people get this arrangement (the whole "we can't comment on what you read on messageboards" thing). I think the highest up I ended up talking to was a "senior advisor"- but even they had to go ask their manager, who nixed the idea.

In the end I had to PURCHASE a new computer, but I'm told that they'll refund me for my first one before both charges go through.

I did that today and my delivery estimate is between August 9-16th (with expedited shipping). So I get to use this computer until the new one arrives, but only because I've technically bought a second one since they refused to do an "advanced replacement" despite me specifically asking. :(

14. spdntrxi macrumors regular

I get a very and I mean very slight IR from safari in the region where my tabs are... just can kind of see the the line for the top and bottom of the tabs.. when I switch to the dark grey desktop.

15. KitzelFox macrumors newbie

Same here. I didn't notice this with Lion, but as long as it doesn't bother me during normal use, I am okay with that. This is my 3rd rMBP, first one had bad IR and second had 5 or so dead/stuck pixels. I'll take a little bit of unnoticeable IR over in-your-face dead pixels.

16. spdntrxi macrumors regular

I never looked that hard in Lion.. so I dont know if ML is worse. My eyes are pretty sensitive to this...so if its' that hard to see in ML...I'm not going to worry about it either.

17. billpaxton macrumors member

billpaxton

I noticed a small bit of retention, but when I scaled up the resolution it disappeared. I only noticed between swaps it held the blue screen for a while. Haven't seen it since. ML 2.6/512/16

18. spdntrxi macrumors regular

it hide the dock and move my safari window down the light IR moves with it..again the tab area. The IR is the original position goes away..so no biggie. On my system it is so light, I have to strain to see it with the dark grey background.

19. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

That sucks...

email Tcook@apple.com and I promise you will get a call from Corporate Executive Customer Relations within 24 hrs, and they WILL MAKE something good happen :) I'm speaking from experience.

Just be professional and polite in your email.

20. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

To add some more info, even my rMBP has some ghosting, which starts to fade away in a couple of minutes.

It is my belief that every rMBP has some amount of IR. Some can see it and some can't either because of the intensity of the IR or their weakened eye-sight.

----------

That's completely unacceptable!!! Mine is very light and fades away quick...

Get that thing replaced!

21. zwan84 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys

I just came back here to tell you all about how it went at the Genius Bar. I went in very stern and concerned about the problem and the Genius took no time to try to disuade me from the problem that was very obvious.

This was especially true because my appointment was at 2:15, but I was taken in at 2:25, so the image appeared even more imprinted than I would expect them to see.

After discussing the problem, the genius acknowledged this wasn't the very first time he had heard the problem and that he was almost sure it was a hardware IPS display problem. However, when I told him this started to appear only after Mountain Lion, (as this thread suggests), he did a couple more tests.

As a result of all this, the employee ordered in a new display from headquarters which he estimated would arrive in 3 days, and then after that, the repair would take approx 3 days (6 days max).

I guess this is pretty good, because it means I don't have to send in my laptop for 2 weeks.

If anyone else has the same problem and wants to go into the apple store here is what the diagnostic is in my "Genius Bar Work Authentication" that verifies a free new display:

Issue: Unit will ghost images after few minutes of being on
    Steps to Reproduce: Verified Issue. With Grey Background we were able to see previous windows burnt into display.
    Proposed Resolutoon: Replace Display.

Hopefully this is a hardware issue that will go away soon and not some drivers issue with ML that switching the display won't change.

22. Xcelerate, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

Xcelerate macrumors regular

Alright, something is really weird with all this. I am starting to fear that almost everyone's RMBP may eventually get some degree of image retention. I have an empty summer and am recovering from surgery, so without being able to do much of anything but sit, I've been spending about 10-12 hours a day on my RMBP.

When my first laptop arrived (June 26th), I didn't notice any problems. It was only after reading an article about image retention that I noticed mine had it two weeks later. So I took it to the Apple store and exchanged it. When I got home, the new one had a dent in the screen, so I brought it back and got a THIRD one. This time, I opened it up in the store. The Apple employee, my father, and me all scrutinized the screen and let it sit to check for burn in. I'm very OCD so I would have noticed it. I kept checking the screen for about a week and didn't notice anything. Then I forgot about it.

I upgraded to Mountain Lion 2 days ago. I saw this thread and thought "Huh, I haven't checked for image retention in a while." This time it is here! It fades quickly, but it's definitely visible.

The probability of me getting 2 laptops with this issue seems very low. So I think it's one of two things:

1. Some weird software issue that doesn't interface with the hardware correctly
    2. A hardware issue that gets worse over time.

Since I use my laptop 10-12 hours a day (at full brightness because I can't stand dim screens), mine probably approaches whatever issue this is more quickly than others.

I'll try spending a day in Linux or Windows to see if it is an OS issue.

We'll see if over time posts about this issue increase on this forum.

23. zwan84 macrumors newbie

Please update us once you try it on Linux or Windows.

Also, get well soon.

24. TLewis macrumors 65816

25. spdntrxi macrumors regular

I would classify mine as no problem = LG