Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Images of Supposed AirPods Diagnosis Tool Shared Online

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is reportedly rolling out a new tool to Apple service providers for testing AirPods, according to leaker known as "Fudge," who shared images of the tool on Twitter.

Apple appears to be seeking to reduce unnecessary AirPods services by more accurately diagnosing the cause of a fault. Instances of a dirt-blockage, which may be difficult to ascertain visually, can apparently be identified by the use of a simple new tool. This could cut-down on needless services in instances where a deep clean is all that is required.

A dedicated service-provider's iPhone is inserted into a tray, which can run an app to determine if AirPods are genuinely faulty or simply malfunctioning due to a build-up of dirt. The tool tests first and second-generation AirPods by directing them at an iPhone's microphone.

The original post states the diagnosis functions similarly to the "existing iPhone Audio test in principle."

It does not appear to be compatible with AirPods Pro, but it seems possible for Apple to develop a different holder for AirPods Pro to connect to the iPhone tray in the future.

Article Link: Images of Supposed AirPods Diagnosis Tool Shared Online

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
OK... not sure why something like this needs to be leaked. I don’t think there will be clones of it running around for people to buy for $1.99. I personally think some things like this Apple should just tell people about proudly. It’s a diagnostic tool for quicker and more accurate analysis which may lead to fewer replacements and quicker resolutions. Sounds good to me.

Comment

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I took my AirPod pros to Best Buy over the weekend. One had a “rattle” in it. They took it back and plopped it in a device that took about 15 minutes. They sent the one AirPod in for service and I got a replacement 3 days later.

Comment

TImm3h

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
So are they going to clean it between tests? It would be gross to get someone else's "gunk"

Comment

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
Lol good, we used to hand them out like candy. Wasn’t worth getting chewed out every 4 appointments because a customer wanted new ones even though there was nothing wrong.

Reactions: JWiLL1988
Comment

windywalks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2004
I've already exchanged 1s, 2s and Pros either due to faulty battery or connectivity issues, this wouldn't help ;)

Comment

_Steve_

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2020
similarly to the "existing iPhone Audio test in principle."

It does not appear to be compatible with AirPods Pro, but it seems possible for Apple to develop a different holder for AirPods Pro to connect to the iPhone tray in the future.

it will also at least require a software update in the debugging app as the airpod pro’s have noise canceling feature that would need more ad testing. After the first firmware updates accidentally reduced noise canceling at some frequencies they had to halt updates for a bit since they were non-reversible and many pro‘s were replaced as the only option to resolve the issue.

Comment

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Is there an Apple provided process for "deep cleaning"? Serious question.

Comment

MrGuder

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2012
I have 1st gen Airpods that the right one will lose connection and cut out after about 5 mins. I’ve reset every thing. It’s weird because it works fine for 5 mins and then the right bud loses connection and cut off. I called Apple and they can send me a new one but it would cost me $80.00 I said no. So there sitting in my desk and I’ve had to resort back to wired buds on my 6s. I wonder if a tool like this would work for my instance.

Last edited:
Comment

Kleber20

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2013
I have 1st gen Airpods that the right one will lose connection and cut out after about 5 mins. I’ve reset every thing. It’s weird because it works fine for 5 mins and then the right bud loses connection and cut off. I called Apple and they can send me a new one but it would cost me $80.00 I said no. So there sitting in my desk and I’ve had to resort back to wired buds on my 6s. I wonder if a tool like this would work for my instance.

i have exactly the same issue, but with the left one... I reseted it, but it’s not really working... where I live there Is not Apple support, so it’s not even worth trying... it’s a pity we can’t somehow reinstall the os for this airpods.

Comment

attilavago85

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017
Dublin

Maybe get the new wireless Beats for $50?

Comment

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
Apple should make this available to general public like the OBD kits that one can buy for your car.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.