Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It's because of the pandemic, but mass production is usually it's 6 months or so before launch day, so they have stock in the inventory not like Tesla.

The date codes for the components in the launch day units already tell you it's not 6 months. It's closer to 6 weeks. Foxconn doesn't even begin seasonal hiring until the middle of the year.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I really liked the slate. It was so different at the time and even for years after, aside from the plastic 5C which introduced more color.

The iPhone 5 is one of my favorite iPhone models. iOS 6 ran like butter, the lightning port was so much better than the giant 30-pin port, LTE finally made using a smartphone anywhere feel like Wi-Fi, it was the first iPhone with a larger display, and it was the first iPhone to have a really high-quality construction with very tightly fit body pieces and chamfered edges. It looked great aside from the anodization issues. It’s also the only iPhone I still have aside from the original and my current one.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
This is not true. A lot of prototypes are manufactured a year before they’re revealed, but iPhones for sale are manufactured around 2 months before they’re released at the earliest. This year that wasn’t the case, because of the pandemic they were shipping them out as soon as they were built.

I preordered my iPhone 12 Pro Max, and looking up the serial number shows it was manufactured in the first week of November.
Welp I guess the internal manufacture dates on multiple phones were wrong then because I worked in Apple Retail and saw several phones with wayyy early manufacturing dates.

• Disagree
Reactions: KeithBN

madge28

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I’m glad they went with space grey instead. That color looked so cool

View attachment 1714632
what! I was so sad when I changed from the Black & Slate iPhone 5 to the uglier Space Grey 5S.
The Black & Slate looks so much better, albeit easily scuffed. I just hope the would find a solution to the scuffing problem with that color in the future.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
My 5s in space gray and 7 Plus in matte black were my favorite iPhones I’ve ever had. I love my 11 Pro, but the 7 Plus looks, performance, 3D Touch, etc were amazing at the time. My mom still has a 7 Plus and it screams still. Amazing phone. Would love a new Mac option in that Slate. I love my space gray MacBook Pro , especially in lower light, but that slate was really nice on the 5.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Black & Slate was a badass colorway. I still have my 5 in that finish, signed by Woz on the back (saw him at a conference).

Apple should definitely make a matte black finish for the next iPhone— no fingerprints and I think it would sell.

• Love
Reactions: iGüey

odonnelly99

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Austin, TX
I realy would like to have a true black iPhone for once instead of same shade of gray. In my eyes real black is the most elegant color.
Oh boy! Do I have a surprise for YOU!

Attachments

• E4E394FA-3F6C-4810-8EA7-195670DC42A5.jpeg
    E4E394FA-3F6C-4810-8EA7-195670DC42A5.jpeg
    609.9 KB · Views: 68

Localcelebrity

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2004
Chicago, IL
To date this is still my favorite iPhone to hold. The 12 Pro comes close but doesn’t get the whole way there. I absolutely adored the way the chamfered edges would get beat up and scratched.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For the love of god, Apple make space grey slate again. Even if it has wear+tear consequences

And make space grey laptops the saturated black that the 13" polycarbonate MacBooks were, again.

Ploycarbonate is a very robust material, highly durable even over {DLC substrate}. The problem with polycarbonate, it’s heavier/dense and more arduous to manufacture, which we all know how Apple is about products being thin and light weight, it would only detract from how they envision things. If you look at the tech industry, it’s a material that was primarily abandoned, I suspect mainly due to cost if anything.

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
Black/Slate is my all time favourite iPhone colour, although the Space Grey option on the 5S is up there too.

I hope we get another Black/Slate option in future handsets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.