Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some iPhone 15 models will be equipped with a Thunderbolt/USB 4 retimer chip for high-speed data transfer, according to ChargerLab.

iphone-15-thunderbolt-retima-chip.jpg

Following last week's leak of alleged images of the iPhone 15's USB-C port components, ChargerLab has seen further images of the parts and believes that they show an integrated circuit (IC) for Thunderbolt data transfer speeds.

The IC, known as a retimer, rebuilds signals and mitigates jitter. It augments signal transmission stability for high-capacity data ports and extends transmission ranges. Such chips are seen in other Thunderbolt/USB 4 devices, and ChargerLab believes it is clearly identifiable on the iPhone 15's USB-C components.

All four iPhone 15 models are expected to feature USB-C instead of Lightning. The iPhone 15 Pro models with USB-C ports are expected to support higher-speed data transfers, likely up to Thunderbolt speeds, while the standard iPhone 15 models will likely continue to feature USB 2.0 speeds – the same as Lightning. For comparison, the iPad Pro features a Thunderbolt port for transfer speeds up to 40 Gbps, while the entry-level iPad's USB-C port is limited to just 480 Mbps.

Article Link: Images Suggest Some iPhone 15 Models Could Feature Thunderbolt Data Transfer Speeds

johnmarki

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2020
🤞 Please be true! 🤞 I'm one of the few people that still backup my files to a physical drive in my possession. I also have my own NAS that I use as a cloud for my devices, but thunderbolt transfer speeds would be incredible on the iPhone, and would make editing photos and video so much better. I'm very disappointed in Apple that they would shackle (potentially) other consumers to USB 2 speeds just because (for iCloud marketing purposes). There is no excuse for this that can be justified...if the USB 2.0 speeds rumor is true.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
15 years after the release of USB 3.0 in Nov 2008, we are finally getting an iPhone with data transfer speeds in excess of USB 2.0!
It is pretty wild. I did a cursory look at Android phones and it appears even with the adoption of USB-C, every phone I looked at still uses USB 2.0 - even the brand new top of the line Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra.

Maybe Apple’s move will lead other manufacturers to follow suit because this is ridiculously overdue.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
iPad mini 6 uses USB 3.1 for it's USB C charge/hub port/ And I too back up to an HD via connection to Mac. My phone (12) using lightning/USB takes a long time to backup. The iPad is done in matter of seconds. That's accomplished usual a USB C charging cable running through a converter to USB A.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Instead of being happy about this news, we should be more reflective and realize Apple's decision to artificially cap its modern phones to USB 2.0 speeds shouldn't have happened. I don't understand how their current 2022 model, using a cable they designed (Lightning), is using a standard/speed released in 2000 and that was replaced in 2008. When they switch this year's models to USB-C if they artificially cap even the cheapest model to USB 2.0 speeds, I'll be disappointed but not surprised.

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I still wished that the regular iPhone 15 supports USB 3.2 1x1 (5 Gbps Certified) connections and the iPhone 15 Pro models supports USB 3.2 2x2 (20 Gbps Certified) connections.
Why? USB4 exists - basically Thunderbolt 3, which would give you up to 40 Gbit/s. The Pros, on which you can capture ridiculously high quality photos and videos (i.e. large files) would definitely benefit from that.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Instead of being happy about this news, we should be more reflective and realize Apple's decision to artificially cap its modern phones to USB 2.0 speeds shouldn't have happened. I don't understand how their current 2022 model, using a cable they designed (Lightning), is using a standard/speed released in 2000 and that was replaced in 2008. When they switch this year's models to USB-C if they artificially cap even the cheapest model to USB 2.0 speeds, I'll be disappointed but not surprised.
as was posted earlier. This is an industry problem not an Apple problem specifically. Android phones do this too. Maybe not all, I can’t try out every Android out there.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
TB4 or USB4 at up to 40Gbps is fine with me. Since I am all TB4, anyway, I'd prefer TB4 "just because".

I do agree with those who say that Apple capping the non-Pro iPhone models at 480Mbps is consumer unfriendly. However, I believe I have read that speed limitation is only with non-MFI certified cables and that MFI-certified will support higher speeds (5GBps?).

And yes, one can argue that Apple demanding their $2 license fee for an MFI cable is greedy, but MFI-certification will help Apple comply with future security-related laws like the EU's upcoming Cyber Resilience Act and considering how scrambled USB-C cable quality can be, one could equally argue that requiring MFI-certified cables for best performance does ensure a positive customer experience.

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
That's not artificial. Lightning only has 8 pins (two lanes), and can't support higher speeds, at least not very much higher. Only the special lightning port and accessory in an iPad could do more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.