iMessage as Seperate App

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by EvanCooper93, Jul 16, 2012.

1. EvanCooper93 macrumors member

Does anyone else wish that they made iMessage as a seperate app? I feel like with BBM it felt a lot more secure and stable as a seperate app. When I'm texting somene and it switches to iMessage or back to text, I feel like it's cheap and does not feel very stable. Does anyone else agree with me?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

No, it would make things too confusing. It's better that they keep it in one Messages app. It looks cleaner and the way they did it is great with the different color send buttons, etc.

3. MacFanBoi macrumors regular

Having a separate imessage app and sms app would be silly imo. You have to remember if that person has an iphone or some other phone then pick the app accordingly. As it is now is just fine if they have an iphone it sends an imessage if not sends an sms instead.

4. scaredpoet, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Not really. Exactly what about BBM's behavior makes it "secure" and "stable?" The app doesn't crash, ever for me. And if anything, the fact that if an attempt to send via iMessage fails, it will retry as SMS, would seem to me to make it a more reliable method of messaging... which I guess translates to better "stability."

As far as "security" on RIM's networks: it was a useful argument in 2002, but secure data traffic is no longer exclusive to them. There's a whole support document that explains the encryption and privacy measures used in iCloud, and that level of openness that makes me feel more knowledgeable and "secure" in using that over BBM, where RIM will gladly repeat the "secure" buzzword over and over, but not really explain in too much detail how they make their network "secure."

And then there's things like this:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...tedly-reach-messaging-agreement-u-s-says.html

And you realize that yeah... there's not a lot of security in BBM, really. Not that I would exapect iMessage to be fully immune to that level of scrutiny if a government really wanted to, but I think this shows that RIM really does a disservice to its users by continuing to let them feel that using a BlackBerry is still more "secure" than other platforms.

Then there are the global, multi-day outages:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/12/us-blackberry-idUSTRE79B24Y20111012

Which would seem to blow gaping holes in the "stability" argument.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I think that would be a horrible idea.

6. iBeast macrumors member

Game. Set. Match.

7. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Blue messages = iMessage
    Green messages = Text messages

This feels much nicer than having a separate app for iMessage. It also makes things feel much more seamless. Although according to Thorsten, BlackBerry 10 is full of seams right now, maybe BlackBerry users are into that?

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

No! I already have too many message apps! Whatsapp, vonage, viber, gvoice ect.... Smh.

9. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

10. pphheerroonn macrumors newbie

No...

11. brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

No way! I love how it's integrated in to the Message app. I hate having too many first party apps to look after. It's so much easier if they are together and because it just works. The notifications are easier to handle too. I like that fact that if iMessage is unavailable then the message is sent as an SMS (I set mine to do that). Blue messages are iMessages, and green are SMS. Easy to tell them apart too!

By the way, this was my most favourite feature in iOS 5, along with PC Free and iCloud.

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'd actually use it if it was a separate App.

I'd like to be able to only send iMessages to people who have an iPad or iPod touch only.

It's just not reliable enough to replace SMS.

13. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Doesn't it automatically default to iMessage when you select someone with that capability?

A serious question. Most of my iMessage texts go to people who have iPhones...not sure I even have someone that I text regularly that has both a non-iPhone telephone number and an email address tied to an iPad/Mac.

Does it give you the option (SMS or iMessage) when you type that person's name in the "to:" field?

14. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Yes, but that's the problem. I don't want it to.

I know quite a few people that don't have an iPhone but that have an iPad or iPod touch. Being able to use iMessage with them would be nice.

No.

15. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

From a non-Apple product?

16. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

No.

I'd like to send an iMessage from my iPhone to their iPad (or iPod touch).

That's possible with iMessage in iOS 5 and 6, but the only way to get that functionality is to turn iMessage on.

When you turn iMessage on, it's used for ALL recipients that have compatible devices (including iPhone). I'd rather send iPhone users an SMS.

I can't say:

Send Bob's iPhone an SMS
    Send Jenny's iPad an iMessage

It's:

Send everyone an iMessage, or nothing.

17. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

Umm you can do that in iOS 5. My son only has a WiFi ipad and I text him all the time.

I love the integration. Without the integration, I'd never switch to iMessage because of the pain of remembering which friend needs which app, and in which app I left the last peice of the conversation.

18. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Read my posts again.

19. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

when it switches from imessage to text, its due to you or the person not having service/poor service, or phone is dead. Dont really see how that makes it feel unstable or cheap??

I like how its all integrated. I'd find it annoying to text some of my friends in one app, and have to switch to another one to text friends who have an iphone..

20. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Because SMS requires only the most basic signal to get through first time.

iMessage will repeatedly try and send a message over a data connection, then give up after 5 minutes and send it via SMS.

That delay is what makes it unreliable.

SMS as system is incredibly simple. iMessage is more complex and more prone to failure.

I accept that the integration is nice, but there should be an option to let people choose how it works.

21. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

if you dont mind me asking, whats your reasoning for not wanting to use iMessages with people who have an iphone?

edit posted at the same post as above..which answered my question

22. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

Why would you want to? iMessage is encrypted, confirms delivery, and can confirm read. SMS doesn't do any of this. SMS isn't as reliable as you think. I send/recieve texts which either don't arrive or somehow arrive hours or days later. And there is no way to know this.

23. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

ahh well with my phone, i can still send imessage with 1 bar of service.. easy.

i know most people on here dont like jailbreaking but im fairly certain you can set rules like that with bitesms. As well as have it send failed texts continually. Plusssss quick reply wahooo

24. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

My testing of iMessage shows that SMS is far more reliable.

There are going to be cases where the reverse is true, but I just see no benefit in switching to iMessage, only downsides and loss of freedom.

25. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

bingo. so many times people dont get my text messages. if imessage says it was delivered, it was delivered.
    Plus, its way faster.

----------

your service is what makes it unreliable.