iMessage issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Striker21, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Striker21 macrumors newbie

I work offshore and I have to leave my phone on airplane mode for a month or more. Everytime I get back on land and take my phone out of airplane mode I do not receive older iMessages that people have sent me. I only receive iMessages that are roughly a week old. Is there anyway to recover those iMessages and is there anyway to prevent that in the future? Thanks.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm guessing Apples servers only cache a week or so of messages. You're either going to need to leave your phone on and connected a network, or setup a Mac with iMessage and leave it running so it can receive them all.

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Yes, once one device receives them, it syncs back to the devices that did not get them yet.
    No satellite internet on the boat? I would not take that job if I had to loose internet for a month at a time.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

They must have fixed this or added the functionality in the last year or so. I was never able to get that to work correctly between my iPhone, iPad and MBP. I ended up turning iMessage off on my iPad and MBP because it was just too frustrating seeing only partial conversations depending on the device I using.

Anyway, I was mainly suggesting that he use iMessage on a Mac to capture those messages before they expired and were removed from Apples servers.

5. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I thought that if an iMessage wasn't delivered it would automatically be sent as a regular SMS text in 5 min.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Depending on whether the person is sending it from an iPhone and has "Send as SMS" enabled. But even so, the carriers don't keep text messages cached for that long.