iMessage PIN like BBM??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JRTeK, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JRTeK macrumors member

Does anyone know if iMessage will have something like BBM's PIN feature? I know we'll be able to use the phone number or the itunes email... but a PIN would be pretty awesome as well...

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. JRTeK thread starter macrumors member

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

what I don't get is that it wants you to enter an email for the iPad, but in the demo they were able to use the same identifier on the iPad as the iPhone. I would like to use my phone number for my iPhone and my iPad because more people know this than my email address. This kind of stinks and means that to use the functionality they mentioned (being able to pick up a convo on diff devices) I will have to use my email address on both devices instead.

5. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

I do not have iOS 5, but have a good idea from the posts here. I think it is based on your apple id for ipod/ipad but can be based on your phone number for an iPhone. I think it auto-detects another iOS 5 user and switches to using the data instead of texts.

It wouldn't make sense to be serial number because then it is hard to update and keep the conversation the same on all devices

6. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Does anyone wanna test it with me? I haven't actually tried it yet and I don't know anyone in my contacts that is likely to have iOS5 :cool:

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think you only have to look at Facetime to understand how iMessage will work. I'm betting they'll copy how it works almost exactly.

If that's the case than just signing up using your e-mail address on all your devices seems to make the most sense based on how Apple's going to do it.

8. stewart715 macrumors 6502

Yes -- the pin is a PAIN on blackberry. Why not just use phone number...

Is that too easy, RIM?

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the phone number would not work on ipods and ipads what about apple id?

10. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Apple ID is the easiest option. It will be exactly the same as how FaceTime works.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

iMessage works with your phone number (on iPhone) and email addresses (not just Apple IDs).

12. gks macrumors 6502

A pin would just be hard to remember... better to go with an email or phone number i think.

13. xcrunner macrumors regular

Yeah. WTF would you want a stupid PIN. They copied the good parts from BBM, not the bad ones.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

a worry I have is if a number/account is detected to have an Apple ID to it that it will automaticly go to iMessaging. Problem is I have an iPod and an Android phone. I sure as hell and will not check my iPod for messages. My Atrix is the phone with me. Why would I want to have it sent to iPod when I may not get it and sure as hell will not get it unless I am in range of WiFi and my iPod is with me.

15. Daveoc64, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Interesting point.

Not too sure how that will work.

My impression of the service is that there's very little choice NOT to use it unless the service isn't currently available.

You can turn the service off completely, but other than that there's not much choice.

I'd rather only use it when my contact doesn't have anything but iMessage (i.e. an iPod touch or iPad user).

16. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i PM'ed u with an email to try imessages

17. HeezyBear macrumors regular

I guess the reason people like PINs is because they allow you to chat with people you wouldn't necessarily want to have your phone number. I don't know.

18. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

This is a GREAT point and something I'm not even sure Apple has thought of. I wonder how they will handle this.

19. jive turkey macrumors 6502

From my Blackberry days, there were people that I enjoyed having on BBM that I wouldn't want to have my phone # or email address. So I like the idea of PIN-type identifier, or else the number of people I iMessage with will be small!

20. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

From my understanding, iOS will automatically detect if the person your texting is on iOS 5 & will send via iMessage. It's not like there is a separate iMessage app or anything; it's baked in the current Messages app.

I hope the people in this thread who've tried it can shed more light/provide screenshots!

21. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

For those worried about giving away your email/phone number you can associate any number of email addresses with iMessage and you can choose which one (or your phone number) appears as your caller ID.

22. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I think a PIN would be good for a universal way to communicate instead of email for a non-cellular device and phone number for the iPhone. I think if we could all just have phone numbers that would be the best to be perfectly honest.

23. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yes but what about associating a phone number with the one on the ipad, because less people know my email than my phone number. or if i associate an email with the one on my phone will it pick it up on my ipad when one sends one to my phone number?

24. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't have an iPad. I don't know what it looks like on there.

25. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

ehhhh i guess we shall see