iMessage works sporatically on El Capitan

Discussion in 'macOS' started by YMark, Jul 10, 2016.

1. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I have the exact same setup on my iMac and Macbook Air. On the iMac, the Messages app is flaky. Sometimes all messages sync up, sometimes they don't. I can be working on my iMac and an hour later I get a large flow of messages. I also get a lot of the red exclamation with the message "Not Delivered". This happens after the send bar gets about 95% complete across the top of the app. This works the same whether the receiver is an iPhone user or Android. This does NOT happen on my Macbook Air.

If I reboot my iMac, all will work well for a few hours, maybe even a day. Then back to being flaky.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Did you by chance create one of your machines from the time machine backup of the other? I did this and messages and mail were flakey as hell. I had to completely delete the account from one one of the machines and start from scratch to get it to work properly.

3. YMark thread starter macrumors 6502a

YMark

No, I didn't. In fact, Messages has been working all along. This just started happening about a month ago, infrequently at first and now more often. Haven't applied any updates in a while either.